|Founded||1993 (as Tom Snyder Productions)
1999 (as Soup2Nuts)
|Defunct||March 31, 2015|
|Headquarters||Watertown, Massachusetts, United States|
Soup2Nuts (also known as Soup2Nutz)(formerly Tom Snyder Productions) was an American animation studio founded by Tom Snyder. The studio was known for its animated comedy series, its use of "Squigglevision", a technique of animation that reuses frames to make the animation look more kinetic, and for its style of improvisation in voice acting.
The company started as part of Tom Snyder Productions, when it created and produced its first TV show, Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist in 1995 for Comedy Central. Later, the company created and produced Home Movies which aired originally on UPN, but after cancellation, continued on Adult Swim. Following their purchase by Scholastic Corporation in 2001, the animated digital production company was renamed Soup2Nuts, because of the company's involvement in the production of programs from beginning to end. A division of Soup2Nuts produced shorts, book adaptations, commercials, and interactive online series.
Soup2Nuts began work on WordGirl in 2007, a superhero educational show for PBS Kids. It had won numerous national awards including Best Direction for an Animated Children's Program and Outstanding Writing in Animation.
In March 2015, Scholastic Inc. announced they were closing the studio. According to Kyle Good, the senior vice president of corporate communications for Scholastic, the decision was made to shut down Soup2Nuts as part of an overall restructuring of the parent company. Good commented, "We are restructuring that part of the business closer to our core businesses which are children's publishing and education. We have other options to continue television programming." Scholastic had cut the number of employees to just nine people earlier in 2015.
Astroblast! was the company's final production.
- Personk (1978)
- The Search Series (1980)
- In Search of the Most Amazing Thing (1983)
- Agent USA (1984)
- American Challenge: A Sailing Simulation (1986)
- Sub Mission (1987)
- Gamma Force in Pit of a Thousand Screams (1988)
- Lane Mastodon vs. the Blubbermen (1988)
- Decisions, Decisions (1988)
- ZorkQuest: Assault on Egreth Castle (1988)
- ZorkQuest: The Crystal of Doom (1989)
- Fizz & Martina (1992)
- Math Mysteries (2000)
- Science Seekers (2000)
- Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist (1995–1999)
- Science Court (1997–2000)
- Home Movies (1999–2004)
- The Dick & Paula Celebrity Special (1999–2000)
- Hey Monie! (2003)
- Fridays (2004, Show & Tell segments)
- O'Grady (2004–2006)
- Time Warp Trio (2005–2007)
- Sunday Pants (2005, Thadlow's Driving School and Watering Hole segments)
- WordGirl (2007–2015)
- Weston Woods (2009-2015, various shorts)
- SciGirls (2010–2015)
- Chuck Vanderchuck's Something Something Explosion (2011–2015)
- Astroblast! (2014-2015)
- Koch, David (March 13, 2015). "Scholastic To Shutter Soup2Nuts Animation Studio". Big Cartoon News. Retrieved March 13, 2015.