Tom Tango and "TangoTiger" are aliases used online by a baseball sabermetrics and ice hockey statistics analyst. He runs the Tango on Baseball sabermetrics website and is also a contributor to ESPN's baseball blog TMI (The Max Info).
In 2006, Tango's book The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball, which was co-written with Mitchel Lichtman and Andrew Dolphin, was published featuring a foreword by Pete Palmer. In The Book he and his coauthors analyzed many advanced baseball questions, like how to optimize a lineup or when to issue an intentional base on balls. They also introduced the wOBA metric to measure overall offensive contributions.
He is best known for developing the FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching) statistic, which attempts to more accurately assess the quality of a pitcher's performance than other statistics, such as ERA. 2009 American League Cy Young Award winner Zack Greinke specifically mentioned FIP as his favorite statistic. "That's pretty much how I pitch, to try to keep my FIP as low as possible".
Tango works as a consultant for several National Hockey League teams, and has worked for Major League Baseball. Tango has worked for the Seattle Mariners and Toronto Blue Jays as a statistical analysis consultant.[better source needed] As of 2013, he works exclusively for the Chicago Cubs in a similar role.
- Tom Tango, Mitchel Lichtman, and Andrew Dolphin. The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball. Washington, D.C.: Potomac Books, 2007. ISBN 1-59797-129-4.
- "Weighted On Base Average or wOBA". Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- Appelman, David (19 February 2007). "Behind the numbers: Which 2007 stats projection system is right for you?". Sports Illustrated SI.com. Retrieved 2007-11-17.
- Tyler Kepner, "Use of Statistics Helps Greinke to A.L. Cy Young", The New York Times, 18 November 2009.
- Derek Zumsteg (4 January 2009). "This guy works for the Mariners". U.S.S. Mariner. Retrieved 2009-09-04.
- Gerry McDonald (16 February 2010). "An Interview with Alex Anthopoulos". Batter's Box. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- Justin Sopp, "Q&A with SaberWizard Tom Tango", Beyond the Box Score, 24 August 2011