Tom Taylor (writer)
29 November 1978 |
|The Deep: Here Be Dragons
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Star Wars: Invasion
Star Wars: Blood Ties
A4 To A3 (film)
|Awards||Winner 'Aurealis Award for Best illustrated book/graphic novel'
'Winner 'Stan Lee Excelsior Award'
'Best Dramatic Writing' Short and Sweet
Tom Taylor (born 29 November 1978) is an award-winning and #1 New York Times bestselling comic book author, playwright and screenwriter. He is well known for his work on the DC Comics series Injustice: Gods Among Us and Earth-Two as well as his many Star Wars works. He has been announced as the co-creator and head writer of the upcoming CG animated series The Deep based on his graphic novel series of the same name.
Tom Taylor was born in Melbourne, Australia.
Taylor is currently the writer of the new ongoing Superior Iron Man series for Marvel Comics, has been announced as the All-New Wolverine writer, and has also recently written the bestselling Injustice: Gods Among Us and Earth 2 series for DC Comics.
Taylor is the creator, with James Brouwer, of the all-ages adventure graphic novels The Deep: Here Be Dragons and its sequel The Vanishing Island published by Gestalt Publishing. The Deep was optioned by Technicolor and is set to become a 26 episode CG animated series, with Taylor serving as creator/head writer.
In 2012, The Deep: Here Be Dragons won the Aurealis Award for Best illustrated book/graphic novel, Australia's premier speculative fiction literary award, it was also nominated for Best children’s illustrated work/picture book. The sequel, The Vanishing Island, won the award again in 2014.
Performing and writing for theatre and musicals from the age of fourteen, Tom's works have been produced across four continents. His plays have won a number of awards and accolades including winning the award for 'Best Dramatic Writing' in Short and Sweet - The world's largest short play festival.
Taylor is well known for his many Star Wars comics and graphic novels for Dark Horse Comics. These include, Star Wars: Blood Ties with artist Chris Scalf, and Star Wars: Invasion, with illustrator Colin Wilson. April 2012 saw the start of Taylor and Scalf's new Blood Ties series provocatively titled Boba Fett is Dead as reported by CNN. Taylor is also the writer of the Darth Maul: Death Sentence miniseries, which is set immediately after the end of the fourth Clone Wars television series.
Star Wars: Blood Ties won the 2012 'Stan Lee Excelsior Award' as voted for by thousands of school students across the UK, and Star Wars: Invasion #0 was nominated for a 'Diamond Gem Award' in the '2009 Comic Book of the Year Over $3.00' category.
Taylor wrote the graphic novella, Star Wars Adventures: Luke Skywalker and the Treasure of the Dragonsnakes which shows a never before seen story of Luke Skywalker training with Yoda on Dagobah during The Empire Strikes Back. Taylor also penned Star Wars Adventures: The Will of Darth Vader Randy Stradley, Dark Horse Vice President, says Tom Taylor has taken to writing comics faster than anyone he's ever seen.
Tom Taylor also wrote The Authority, published under the Wildstorm imprint, starting with issue #22 in May 2010 until the end of the Wildstorm imprint. He also wrote The Brainiac / Sinestro Corps war storyline in the pages of DC Universe Online: Legends, a Batman story with artist Nicola Scott and Rose and Thorn with artist Neil Googe.
- Injustice: Year Three Chapters #1 - #14 - (with Art by Bruno Redondo, Mike S. Miller, and various), DC Comics, 2014–2015)
- Earth-2 Issues #17 - #29 - (with Art by Nicola Scott), DC Comics, 2013–2014)
- Injustice: Year Two Chapters #1 - #24 - (with Art by Bruno Redondo, Mike S. Miller, Tom Derenick, and various), DC Comics, 2014)
- Earth-2 Annual #2 - (with Art by Robson Rocha, DC Comics, 2014)
- Injustice: Gods Among Us Chapters #1 - #36 - (with Art by Jheremy Rapaack and various), DC Comics, 2013, ISBN 978-1401245009)
- Injustice: Gods Among Us Annual #1 - (with Art by Xermanico, Mike S Miller and Bruno Redondo), DC Comics, 2013)
- Batman Legends of the Dark Knight - The Crime Never Committed (with Art by Nicola Scott), DC Comics, 2012)
- Rose and Thorn (with art by Neil Googe, DC Comics, 2012)
- DC Universe Online: Legends - The Brainiac/Sinestro Corps War (With art by Bruno Redondo), DC comics, 2011)
- Superior Iron Man Issues #1-#9 (with art by Yıldıray Çınar, Marvel Comics, 2014-2015)
- All-New Wolverine Issues #1- (with art by David López, Marvel Comics, 2015-)
Dark Horse Comics
- Star Wars: Darth Maul - Death Sentence (with art by Bruno Redondo, Dark Horse Comics, 2012)
- Star Wars: Blood Ties - Boba Fett is Dead (with art by Chris Scalf, Dark Horse Comics, 2012)
- Star Wars: Invasion Volume 3: Revelations (with art by Colin Wilson, Dark Horse Comics, 2012, ISBN 1-59582-882-6)
- Star Wars: Invasion Volume 2: Rescues (with art by Colin Wilson, Dark Horse Comics, 2011, ISBN 1-59582-630-0)
- Star Wars Adventures: The Will of Darth Vader (Dark Horse Comics, 2010, ISBN 978-1-59582-435-6)
- Star Wars: Blood Ties - a tale of Jango and Boba Fett (with art by Chris Scalf, Dark Horse Comics, 2010, ISBN 1-59582-627-0)
- Star Wars Adventures: Luke Skywalker and The Treasure of the Dragonsnakes (with art by Da Xiong, Dark Horse Comics, 2010, ISBN 1-59582-347-6)
- Star Wars: Invasion Volume 1: Refugees (with art by Colin Wilson, Dark Horse Comics, 2009, ISBN 1-59582-479-0)
- The Deep: The Vanishing Island (With art by James Brouwer, Gestalt Publishing, 2013, ISBN 978-1-922023-05-6)
- The Deep: Here Be Dragons (With art by James Brouwer, Gestalt Publishing, 2011, ISBN 0-9807823-4-1)
- The Example (with art by Colin Wilson, Gestalt Publishing, 2009, ISBN 0-9775628-4-0)
- Flinch (with art by Tom Bonin and Colin Wilson, Gestalt Publishing, 2009, ISBN 0-9775628-3-2)
- Rombies (art by Skye Ogden, Gestalt Publishing, 2009, ISBN 0-9775628-8-3)
- Brief Cases (Various artists, Gestalt Publishing, 2012)
- Rocketeer Adventures - Work To Do (with art by Colin Wilson, IDW Publishing, 2012)
- Jinnrise #3 (with art by Mark Torres, IDW Publishing, 2013)
- Tharg's 3rillers: 15 (with art by Jon Davis-Hunt, 2000 AD #1797-1799, 2012)
Film and Television
Technicolor SA, Canada-based Nerd Corps Entertainment and Australia-based A Stark Production have finalized a partnership for a new 26 episode CG Animated series, based on The Deep graphic novels created by Tom Taylor and James Brouwer. Taylor has been announced as the creator and head writer of the series.
Taylor wrote a short film adaptation of The Example which was optioned and filmed by Staple Fiction in 2011. It screened at Film Festivals around the world.
Taylor's award-winning short musical A4 to A3 (written with Simon Barlow) was filmed by Bravada Films in 2009, for which Taylor also wrote the screenplay. A4 to A3 premiered at the Newport Beach Film Festival on 29 April 2010.
- THE EXAMPLE
- Sydney Opera House (Sydney AUS 2006)
- Edinburgh Festival (Edinburgh, Scotland 2008)
- The Edge Performing Arts Centre (Auckland, New Zealand 2010)
- The Esplanade (Singapore 2006)
- Brighton Festival Fringe (Brighton England 2006)
- Brisbane Powerhouse (QLD AUS 2008)
- Melbourne Arts Centre (Melbourne AUS 2005)
- Seymour Centre (Sydney AUS 2006)
- Araluen Arts Centre (Alice Springs N.T. 2008)
- Darwin Entertainment Centre Darwin Australia 2008
- Cairns Civic Theatre (QLD Australia 2008)
- Rockhampton Performing Arts Centre QLD AUS 2008
- Canberra Theatre Centre (ACT AUS 2008)
- Stratton Players (Boston USA 2007)
- Newtown Theatre (Sydney AUS 2009)
- Carlton Courthouse (Melbourne Aus 2008)
- FALLING PRAYING
- Bite Size Theatre (Brighton England 2007)
- Newtown Theatre (Sydney AUS 2007)
- Fairfax Theatre, Melbourne Arts Centre (Melbourne, Australia 2007)
- Newtown Theatre (Sydney AUS 2007)
- MYSTERY FLIGHT
- Chapel Off Chapel (Melbourne, Australia 2009)
- A4 2 A3 (with Simon Barlow)
- National Institute of Dramatic Art (Sydney AUS 2007)
- CITY HEAD
- Melbourne Trades Hall Melbourne AUS 2007
- The BDP Ensemble (Brisbane AUS 2006)
- MY MONTH AS A MEMBER
- Old Fitzroy Hotel Theatre (Sydney AUS 2005)
- THE RATINGS WAR (With Daniel Hall and Simon Barlow)
- CANDIDATE (With Daniel Hall, Simon Barlow and Joe Guiton)
- HARD RUBBISH WEEK (Script coordinator)
- The Athenaeum Theatre (Melbourne AUS 2003)
Winning three awards including Best Dramatic Writing - 'The Example'
Short and Sweet - Melbourne AUS 2005
Angel Award 2008 for Artistic Excellence - Public Vote
With Bite-Size Theatre
'Believe' Brighton Festival Fringe - UK 2008
Winner of the Judges Choice Award and Peoples Choice Award – ‘Falling Praying’
Crash Test Drama – Melbourne AUS 2008
Official Selection - 'Drip'
Stratton Players - Boston USA 2007
Top 5 Shortlist Carol Tambor "Best of Edinburgh" Award
With Bite-Size Theatre 'The Example' - Edinburgh Scotland 2008
Finalist - 'A Short Play for a Competition'
Bite-Size International Playwriting Competition - Sussex UK 2008
Winner of The People's Choice Award - 'A4 2 A3'
Short, Sweet and Song - Sydney AUS 2007
Edinburgh Fringe First Nomination 2008 - 'The Example'
With Bite-Size Theatre - Edinburgh Scotland 2008
Nominated for Best Comedy Script and Best Production - 'Falling, Praying'
Short and Sweet - Melbourne 2008
Top Ten - 'Nazanin'
Magnolia Arts Centre Playwright Award - Greenville USA 2006
Top Ten - 'Short Sighted'
Short, Sweet and Song - Sydney AUS 2008
Winner of the Judges Choice Award and People’s Choice Award – ‘A Short Play for a Competition’
Crash Test Drama – Melbourne AUS 2007
Top Ten - 'My Month as a Member'
Write Now National Young Playwright Award - Sydney AUS 2005
State Finalist - 'Raw Comedy'
- NYCC: Tom Taylor Leads "Star Wars: Invasion" CBR
- Tom Taylor on Flinch and The Example, Cool Shite
- In A Superhero Free World, The Australian
- The Undercover Fanboy Interviews Tom Taylor Undercover Fanboy
- The Theatre of Comics The Higher Authority
- The Fan Force The Age
- The Example Reviewed Cool Shite
- An Interview With Tom Taylor Faster Than Light
- "MTV Geek – DC Comics’ ‘Earth 2′ Gets A New Writer From ‘Injustice: Gods Among Us’ [EXCLUSIVE]". MTV Geek.
- "Arts News, Commentary, Reviews & Industry Analysis - ArtsHub Australia". artshub.com.au.
- NYCC: Tom Taylor Leads "Star Wars: Invasion", Comic Book Resources, 7 February 2009
- "Beloved bounty hunter Boba Fett is dead – but who killed him? – GeekOut - CNN.com Blogs". cnn.com.
- "Diamond Announces 2009 GEM AWARD Nominees". Newsarama.com.
- "NYCC ' 09 - Dark Horse's Star Wars Panel". Newsarama.com.
- DC Comics Solicitations for May 2010, Comic Book Resources, 16 February 2010
- "Gestalt Comics". gestaltcomics.com.
- "Technicolor, Nerd Corps Partner on ‘The Deep’". Animation World Network.
- "A4 to A3 (2010)". IMDb. 29 April 2010.
- "Newsphotos". newsphotos.com.au.
- "Short Sweet+Song is back!". australianstage.com.au.
- Tom Taylor at Twitter
- Official website
- Tom Taylor Author Page at Amazon.com
- Tom Taylor page at IMDB
- Tom Taylor entry at doollee.com
|Iron Man writer
Brian Michael Bendis