Tom Van Vleck
Tom Van Vleck is an American computer software engineer.
Life and work
He graduated from MIT in 1965 with a BS in Mathematics. He worked on CTSS at MIT, and co-authored its first email program. In 1965, he joined Project Mac, which is the origin of the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.  He worked for development of Multics for more than 16 years at MIT and Honeywell Information Systems.  Since 2007, most of the Multics source code and documentation is provided as free software by IS&T at MIT.
- A History of Electronic Mail, by Tom Van Vleck
- Vleck, T. Van (2011). "Electronic Mail and Text Messaging in CTSS, 1965-1973" (PDF). IEEE Annals of the History of Computing. 34 (1): 4–6. doi:10.1109/MAHC.2012.6. ISSN 1058-6180.
- Morris, Errol (19 June 2011). "Did My Brother Invent E-Mail With Tom Van Vleck? (Part One)". Opinionator.
- A Marriage of Convenience: THE FOUNDING OF THE MIT ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE LABORATORY, Chiou, Stefanie; et al. (2001)
- Multicians.org and the History of Operating Systems; Haigh, Thomas; Iterations: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Software History 1 (September 13, 2002); pp. 1-9
- Multics Internet Server, Information Services and Technology for MIT
- Multics, Information Services and Technology for MIT
- Tom Van Vleck oral history interview, Charles Babbage Institute, University of Minnesota.
- Operational changes for MR 4.0, T. H. Van Vleck, MULTICS OPERATING STAFF NOTE MOSN-A001, Honeywell, April 23, 1976
- The Multics System Programming Process, Van Vleck, T. H. and Clingen, C. T.; Invited Paper, ICSE 1978, pp. 278–280
- Getting the picture; it can be done, IEEE Computer, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 112, May 1994
- SPMA - Java Binary Enhancement Tool, DARPA Information Survivability Conference and Exposition - Volume II, pp. 152, April 2003; (DOI)
- Self-Protecting Mobile Agents Obfuscation Report, L. D'Anna, B. Matt, A. Reisse, T. Van Vleck, S. Schwab, and P. LeBlanc, Report #03-015, Network Associates Laboratories, June 2003.
- Anti-Phishing: Best Practices for Institutions and Consumers; Tally, Gregg; Thomas, Roshan; Van Vleck, Tom; McAfee Research, Technical Report # 04-004