Tom Van Vleck
Tom Van Vleck is an American computer software engineer.
Life and work
Van Vleck graduated from MIT in 1965 with a BS in Mathematics. He worked on CTSS at MIT, and co-authored its first email program with Noel Morris. In 1965, he joined Project MAC, the predecessor of the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory. He worked on the development of Multics for more than 16 years at MIT and at Honeywell Information Systems. He has also worked at Tandem Computers, Taligent, CyberCash, Sun Microsystems, Encirq (an internet advertising company), and SPARTA (a computer security company).
He is also known as a computer security expert.
- ^ A History of Electronic Mail, by Tom Van Vleck
- ^ Vleck, T. Van (2011). "Electronic Mail and Text Messaging in CTSS, 1965-1973". IEEE Annals of the History of Computing. 34 (1): 4–6. doi:10.1109/MAHC.2012.6. ISSN 1058-6180.
- ^ Morris, Errol (19 June 2011). "Did My Brother Invent E-Mail With Tom Van Vleck? (Part One)". Opinionator. Archived from the original on 18 April 2020.
- ^ A Marriage of Convenience: THE FOUNDING OF THE MIT ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE LABORATORY, Chiou, Stefanie; et al. (2001)
- ^ Haigh, Thomas (13 September 2002). "Multicians.org and the History of Operating Systems" (PDF). Iterations. 1: 1–9. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 14, 2021.
- ^ Van Vleck, Tom (30 August 2022). "Tom Van Vleck". Multicians.org.
- ^ Tom Van Vleck oral history interview, Charles Babbage Institute, University of Minnesota.
- Operational changes for MR 4.0, T. H. Van Vleck, MULTICS OPERATING STAFF NOTE MOSN-A001, Honeywell, April 23, 1976
- The Multics System Programming Process, Van Vleck, T. H. and Clingen, C. T.; Invited Paper, ICSE 1978, pp. 278–280
- Getting the picture; it can be done, IEEE Computer, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 112, May 1994
- SPMA - Java Binary Enhancement Tool, DARPA Information Survivability Conference and Exposition - Volume II, pp. 152, April 2003; (DOI)
- Self-Protecting Mobile Agents Obfuscation Report, L. D'Anna, B. Matt, A. Reisse, T. Van Vleck, S. Schwab, and P. LeBlanc, Report #03-015, Network Associates Laboratories, June 2003.
- Anti-Phishing: Best Practices for Institutions and Consumers; Tally, Gregg; Thomas, Roshan; Van Vleck, Tom; McAfee Research, Technical Report # 04-004
- Three Questions about Each Bug You Find, Software Engineering Notes 14:5:62-63 (July 1989)
- Cleaning Up the Basement in the Dark, Software Engineering Notes, (April 1992)
- --, ed., with David Walden, The Compatible Time Sharing System (1961-1973) Fiftieth Anniversary Commemorative Overview, (also at Multicians.org) IEEE Computer Society, 2011
- The IBM 7094 and CTSS
- The IBM 360/67 and CP/CMS
- The IBM 7070
- 1401s I have Known
- The Multics web site, Mirror of multicians.org
- Tom Van Vleck's home page
- Tom Van Vleck, "THVV Multics Bio", Multicians.org, most recent update 11/29/02
- Jeffrey R. Yost, "An Interview with Thomas Van Vleck", 24 October 2012, Computer Security History Project, Charles Babbage Institute