Tom Walsh (American football)
|Born||April 16, 1949|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|1978||Rubidoux HS (CA)|
|1979||United States International|
|1980||Murray State (OC/QB)|
|1982–1991||Los Angeles Raiders (QB/WR)|
|1992–1994||Los Angeles Raiders (OC)|
|2006||Oakland Raiders (OC)|
Walsh entered coaching in 1978 as the coach of Rubidoux HS (CA). In 1979 he moved up to the college ranks as the head coach of United States International before becoming the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach of Murray State in 1980. In 1981 he was brought on as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach of Cincinnati.
Los Angeles Raiders
In 1982 he was hired as the quarterbacks and wide receivers coach of the newly relocated Los Angeles Raiders under head coach Tom Flores. Under Flores he was part of the coaching staff that won Super Bowl XVIII. In 1991 Walsh became offensive coordinator under head coach Art Shell. After several disputes with players over his coaching style and an alleged fight offensive line coach Bill Meyers during the 1994 season Walsh was fired along with Shell after the 1994 season.
Return to college coaching
After being fired from the Raiders, Walsh went on to coach Idaho State University from 1997 to 1998 and the Mobile Admirals in 1999. After 1999 Walsh was all but retired from coaching.
Out of football
After five years out of football and twelve out of the NFL, Wash was re-hired by the Oakland Raiders in February, 2006, as offensive coordinator by head coach Art Shell but demoted before the end of the 2006 season which resulted in a 2-14 record and replaced by John Shoop. During the time Wash was the offensive coordinator for the 2006 Raiders his offense was referred to as the "Bed and Breakfast Offense". After leaving the Raiders, Walsh stated that Randy Moss, whom he coached in Oakland, was "a player whose skills are diminishing." Moss went on to break the single season touchdown reception record in 2007 after being traded to the New England Patriots.
- and, Tom Friend. "FOOTBALL; Raiders Move to Recapture Imagination on the Field". Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- SPRINGER, STEVE (1994-09-22). "PRO FOOTBALL DAILY REPORT : RAIDERS : Assistants Say They Weren't Fighting". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2018-07-30.
- Oakland Raiders Hire Innkeeper
- "Walsh hired as Raiders' offensive coordinator", ESPN.com, February 23, 2006. Retrieved July 17, 2007
- "Shoop to call offensive plays for Raiders", ESPN.com, November 29, 2006. Retrieved July 172007
- "Walsh: Moss' skills were 'diminishing' on Raiders", ESPN.com, May 16, 2007. Retrieved 29 December 2007
| Oakland Raiders Offensive Coordinator
February 23, 2006 – November 28, 2006
|This biographical article relating to an American football coach is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a mayor in Idaho is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|