Tom Watson (fighter)
|Born||13 July 1982|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||186 lb (84 kg; 13.3 st)|
|Reach||73.0 in (185 cm)|
|Style||Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kyokushin Karate, Wing Chun, Savate|
|Team||Jaco Hybrid Training Center (Blackzilians)|
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu |
Black prajied in Muay Thai
Orange belt in Kyokushin Karate
Green belt in Lau Gar Kung Fu
Black belt with green stripe in Wing Chun
Silver 2 glove in Savate
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Tom "Kong" Watson (born 13 July 1982) is an English mixed martial artist currently competing in the welterweight division of Cage Warriors. A professional competitor since 2006, he is the former BAMMA Middleweight Champion, the former UCMMA Middleweight Champion, and has also competed for the UFC, Cage Rage and the MFC.
- 1 Background
- 2 Mixed martial arts career
- 3 Championships and accomplishments
- 4 Mixed martial arts record
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Watson began training when he was 16 years old and has an extensive boxing background, winning two awards, Amateur Boxing Standout 2006, a three-time ABA Southern Counties Champion, and Full Contact Unlicensed Boxing Champion. Watson’s nickname comes from his famous ring walks, featuring Watson wearing a gorilla mask.
Mixed martial arts career
Cage Rage and early career
Watson held a 1-0-1 amateur record before turning professional in 1991. He won his first two fights and was then given the chance to fight in the UK's top MMA promotion, Cage Rage. His first fight was against Daijiro Matsui in February 2007 at Cage Rage 20, and he lost via an armbar in the first round. He returned to the cage a month later and impressively defeated Dorlan O'Malley via KO after a slam.
After this, he was given another chance against a higher profile opponent. He took on UFC veteran Xavier Foupa-Pokam at CageRage 21: Judgement Day in April, 2007, but was submitted again. He fought a further two times that year, and recorded a win and a loss. In 2008, he began to climb the ladder again by beating Pierre Guillet and John Phillips, but Cage Rage went into liquidation and he then went to Ultimate Challenge MMA.
Ultimate Challenge MMA
Watson's first Ultimate Challenge MMA bout came against Daniel Cubitt at Ultimate Challenge UK: Bad Breed in December 2008. He won the fight by knocking his opponent out less than two minutes into the first round to win the inaugural Ultimate Challenge UK title. He returned at Ultimate Challenge UK: Dynamite in October 2009 to take on Denniston Sutherland, and defeated him via split decision.
Maximum Fighting Championship
On 10 January 2010, Watson signed a three fight deal with the Maximum Fighting Championship, a Canadian promotion. His first fight was on 26 February 2010, where he took on Travis Galbraith on MFC 24: Heat XC. In the second minute of the first round, Kong knocked his opponent out with a vicious right head kick. This won him knockout of the night and put him at the top of the list for knockout of the year.
His second fight for the Canadian promotion took place on the main card of MFC 26 card against Jesse Taylor. Watson lost via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26) after being deducted a point for repeatedly grabbing the ropes.
On 27 June 2009, Watson fought at the British Association of Mixed Martial Arts' first event, BAMMA 1: The Fighting Premiership, after a hard fought battle, Watson defeated John Maguire via TKO at 2:47 of round 3. It was confirmed that Maguire had broken his arm during the fight after a takedown.
He was then scheduled to fight Celebrity Big Brother winner Alex Reid for the vacant Middleweight Championship at BAMMA 3 in May 2010. However, Reid injured his knee while filming his documentary TV series Alex Reid: The Fight of His Life and was forced to pull out of the fight. This angered Watson, who claimed Reid was disrespecting him. Watson also called him a "clown" and said that it was likely Reid pulled out to avoid an embarrassing defeat. Reid was then replaced by UFC and IFL veteran Matt Horwich. After miraculously freeing himself from a rear-naked choke in the first round, Watson went on to dominate the fight with his superior striking and won via unanimous decision (48-47, 49-47, 49-46) to become the first BAMMA Middleweight Champion.
Initially, Watson maintained that he did not want to waste any more time training for and fighting such a low-level opponent as Reid but the Reid vs. Watson fight was rescheduled for BAMMA 4 on 25 September 2010. Watson won by unanimous decision, as the judges scored the fight 49-46 49-46 49-47.
On 21 May 2011, he faced former EliteXC Middleweight Champion Murilo Rua at Wembley Arena in London, England, defeating the PRIDE FC veteran by KO due to head kick followed up by punches in the third round, and defending his BAMMA Middleweight Title in the process.
Watson was set to fight former UFC Welterweight contender and current BAMMA Middleweight, Frank Trigg, for Kong's BAMMA Middleweight Championship. However, Tom has suffered a back injury and was replaced by Jim Wallhead.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Watson next faced undefeated Stanislav Nedkov on 16 February 2013 at UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald. He won the back-and-forth fight via TKO in the second round. Both participants earned Fight of the Night honors for their performance, while Watson also earned a Knockout of the Night bonus.
Watson was expected to face Alessio Sakara on 26 October 2013 at UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Munoz. However, he was forced out of the bout with an injury and was replaced by Magnus Cedenblad.
Return to BAMMA
On July 25, 2018 it was announced that after a three-year hiatus from fighting, Watson had signed a multi-fight contract with BAMMA. Due to complete lack of events in BAMMA, Watson was announced to have signed with Cage Warriors and will be moving down to welterweight division.
Championships and accomplishments
- BAMMA World Middleweight Championship (One Time)
- Three successful title defenses
- Fight of the Night (Five Times)
- Knockout of the Night (Three Times)
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Maximum Fighting Championship
- Knockout of the Night (One Time)
- Knockout of the Year 2010
- Ultimate Challenge MMA
- UCMMA World Middleweight Championship (One Time)
- One successful title defense
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|26 matches||17 wins||9 losses|
|Loss||17–9||Chris Camozzi||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Teixeira vs. Saint Preux||August 8, 2015||3||5:00||Nashville, Tennessee, United States||Watson was deducted one point in the second round due to repeated illegal groin strikes.|
|Loss||17–8||Rafael Natal||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 183||January 31, 2015||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||17–7||Sam Alvey||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Bader vs. St. Preux||August 16, 2014||3||5:00||Bangor, Maine, United States|
|Loss||16–7||Nick Catone||Decision (split)||UFC 169||February 1, 2014||3||5:00||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||16–6||Thales Leites||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 163||August 3, 2013||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||16–5||Stanislav Nedkov||TKO (knees and punches)||UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald||February 16, 2013||2||4:42||London, England||Knockout of the Night. Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||15–5||Brad Tavares||Decision (split)||UFC on Fuel TV: Struve vs. Miocic||September 29, 2012||3||5:00||Nottingham, England|
|Win||15–4||Jack Marshman||TKO (punches and elbows)||BAMMA 9||March 24, 2012||2||4:50||Birmingham, England||Defended the BAMMA Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||14–4||Murilo Rua||KO (head kick and punches)||BAMMA 6: Watson vs. Rua||May 21, 2011||3||2:06||London, England||Defended the BAMMA Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||13–4||Alex Reid||Decision (unanimous)||BAMMA 4||September 25, 2010||5||5:00||Birmingham, England||Defended the BAMMA Middleweight Championship. Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||12–4||Jesse Taylor||Decision (unanimous)||MFC 26||September 10, 2010||3||5:00||Brandon, Manitoba, Canada|
|Win||12–3||Matt Horwich||Decision (unanimous)||BAMMA 3||May 15, 2010||5||5:00||Birmingham, England||Won the BAMMA Middleweight Championship. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||11–3||Travis Galbraith||KO (head kick)||MFC 24||February 26, 2010||1||1:56||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||10–3||Denniston Sutherland||Decision (split)||UCMMA 8: Dynamite||October 24, 2009||3||5:00||London, England||Defended the UCMMA Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||9–3||John Maguire||TKO (punches)||BAMMA 1||June 27, 2009||2||3:47||London, England||Knockout of the Night. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||8–3||Daniel Cubitt||TKO (punches)||UCMMA 1: Bad Breed||December 6, 2008||1||1:57||London, England||Won the UCMMA Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||7–3||Lloyd Clarkson||Decision (unanimous)||Atlas Fighting Challenge||August 9, 2008||3||5:00||Coventry, England|
|Win||6–3||John Phillips||Decision (unanimous)||Cage Rage 27||July 12, 2008||3||5:00||London, England|
|Win||5–3||Pierre Guillet||KO (upkick)||Cage Rage 25||March 8, 2008||1||1:05||London, England|
|Loss||4–3||Mark Epstein||Decision (split)||Cage Rage 24||December 1, 2007||3||5:00||London, England|
|Win||4–2||Ed Smith||Decision (unanimous)||Cage Rage 22||July 14, 2007||3||5:00||London, England|
|Loss||3–2||Xavier Foupa-Pokam||Submission (triangle kimura)||Cage Rage 21||April 21, 2007||2||2:27||London, England|
|Win||3–1||Dorlan O'Malley||KO (slam and punches)||Cage Rage Contenders 4||March 3, 2007||1||2:21||London, England|
|Loss||2–1||Daijiro Matsui||Submission (armbar)||Cage Rage 20||February 10, 2007||1||0:59||London, England|
|Win||2–0||Tulio Palhares||Decision||ZT Fight Night 2||June 25, 2006||3||5:00||London, England|
|Win||1–0||Michael Watson||Submission (guillotine choke)||ZT Fight Night 1||February 19, 2006||1||1:11||London, England|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Teixeira vs. Saint Preux". UFC.com. Retrieved 9 August 2015.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Bader vs. Saint Preux". UFC.com. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- "Tom Watson - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved 8 August 2015.
- "Maximum Fighting Championship signs Tom 'Kong' Watson". Aroundtheoctagon.com. 2010-01-13. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Alex Reid vs Tom Watson". Bamma.net. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Alex Reid Pulls Out of Controversial Title Fight with Tom Watson". Bleacherreport.com. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Cage fighter Tom "Kong" Watson calls Alex Reid 'a clown'". Unrealitytv.co.uk. 2010-03-03. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- BAMMA 3 - Full Review. "BAMMA 3 - Full Review". Blogs.mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "BAMMA: Reid v Watson WILL happen, but not at BAMMA 3". Blogs.mirror.co.uk. 2011-04-02. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 1 October 2010. Retrieved 30 September 2010.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "BAMMA 6 Results: Tom Watson Retires Murilo 'Ninja' Rua". Mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- Head, Simon (9 February 2012). "Serving paratrooper Jack Marshman gets BAMMA world title shot". mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Brits Watson and Manuwa heading to the UFC". ESPN. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- YourMMA.tv. "Tom Watson Joins British Legion In UFC". YourMMA.tv. Archived from the original on 8 July 2012. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- "UFC: Nottingham Adds Tom 'Kong' Watson vs. Brad Tavares". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 7 adds Tom Watson vs. Stanislav Nedkov". mmajunkie.com. 16 December 2012.
- "Thales Leites vs. Tom Watson added to UFC 163". themmareport.com. 30 May 2013.
- "Watson Draws Sakara In UFC Manchester Stand Up Battle". YourMMA.tv. 21 August 2013. Archived from the original on 21 August 2013.
- Tom Watson out, Magnus Cedenblad meets Alessio Sakara at UFC Fight Night 30 | MMAjunkie
- Matt Erickson (5 December 2013). "Nick Catone vs. Tom Watson booked for UFC 169 on Super Bowl weekend". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 5 December 2013.
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-06-14). "Sam Alvey signs with the UFC, meets Tom Watson at UFN 47". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-06-14.
- Staff (2014-11-13). "Rafael Natal vs. Tom Watson set for UFC 183 in Las Vegas". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-11-13.
- Brent Brookhouse (2015-01-31). "UFC 183 results, photos: Rafael Natal dominates gritty Tom Watson". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-31.
- Staff (2015-06-15). "Chris Camozzi vs. Tom Watson added to UFC Fight Night 73 in Nashville". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-15.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-08-08). "UFC Fight Night 73 results: Chris Camozzi takes unanimous decision over Tom Watson". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- Mookie Alexander (2015-09-01). "Report: Dan Miller, Darrell Montague among 13 fighters released from UFC". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-09-01.
- Peter Carroll (July 25, 2018). "Tom Watson returns to BAMMA after three years on the sidelines". mmafighting.com.
- Peter Carroll (February 6, 2019). "Tom Watson signs with Cage Warriors". mmafighting.com.