||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Thomas Ross "Tom" Whitlock (born 1954), is an American songwriter and musician, best known for his Academy Award-and Golden Globe-winning song "Take My Breath Away" from the film Top Gun, which he co-wrote with Giorgio Moroder.
Tom Whitlock was born and raised in Springfield, Missouri. He won the Academy Award in 1986 for the song "Take My Breath Away" (performed by Terri Nunn of the band Berlin) in the movie Top Gun - one of the five songs written for the movie by Whitlock and Giorgio Moroder. "Danger Zone" performed by Kenny Loggins was Whitlock and Moroder's other hit from Top Gun.
Whitlock and Moroder co-wrote five songs for "Top Gun" including "Take My Breath Away" and the Kenny Loggins hit "Danger Zone". ASCAP shows 113 songs registered, performed by artists such as Berlin, Bonnie Tyler, Jennifer Rush, Michael McDonald, Ray Charles, Graham Nash, Diana Ross, Teddy Pendergrass, Roger Daltrey, and John Entwistle.
Whitlock and Moroder had other collaborations, for the films Over the Top, American Anthem and Rambo III, and also co-wrote the official theme songs for both the 1988 Summer Olympics ("Hand In Hand") and the 1990 FIFA World Cup ("To Be Number One").
Filmography of songs
- Top Gun (1986) ("Take My Breath Away", performed by Berlin; "Danger Zone", by Kenny Loggins; "Radar Radio" by Giorgio Moroder featuring Joe Pizzulo; "Lead Me On" by Teena Marie; "Through the Fire" by Larry Greene, all co-written by Giorgio Moroder)
- American Anthem (1986) ("Wings to Fly", performed by Graham Nash, co-written by Giorgio Moroder)
- Over the Top (1987) ("Winner Takes It All" by Sammy Hagar; "Meet Me Half Way" by Kenny Loggins; "In This Country" by Robin Zander; "Take It Higher" and "Mind Over Matter" by Larry Greene; "All I Need Is You" by Big Trouble; "Gypsy Soul" by Asia; "I Will Be Strong" by Eddie Money; all co-written by Giorgio Moroder)
- Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise (1987) ("Nightlife" and "Overdrive", both performed by Larry Lee and co-written by Larry Lee and Steve Bates)
- Fatal Beauty (1987) ("Criminal", performed by Shannon; co-written by Sylvester Levay)
- Dream a Little Dream (1989) ("Whenever There's a Night", by Mike Reno; "Never Turn Away", by Chris Thompson; both co-written by John William Dexter)
- Let It Ride (1989) ("Money Talks", "Win or Lose")
- Navy SEALs (1990) (writer: "Strike Like Lightning", "Shadows")
- Fire, Ice and Dynamite (1990) ("Rock Noon", by Dominoe, co-written by Harold Faltermeyer and Brian Reeves; "Get Ready", by Rockafella, co-written by Faltermeyer)
- Out for Justice (1991) ("Temptation", by Teresa James; co-written by Todd Smallwood)
- Boris and Natasha (1992) ("I Want It All", by Marietta, co-written by David Darling)
- 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) ("Even Angels Fall", by Jessica Riddle)
- Peaco, Ed. "Whitlock Relishes Lives of His Songs." News-Leader 25 May 2012. (http://www.news-leader.com/article/20120525/LIFE/305250007/)