Lindberg in 2008
|Also known as||Tompa, Goatspell|
October 16, 1972 |
|Genres||Melodic death metal, death metal, heavy metal, punk, hardcore punk, crust punk, D-beat, grindcore, thrash metal, deathgrind|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, singer, songwriter|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, bass|
|Associated acts||At the Gates, Disfear, Grotesque, The Great Deceiver, Nightrage, The Crown, Skitsystem, Lock Up|
Tomas "Tompa" Lindberg (born October 16, 1972 in Gothenburg) is a Swedish musician who has fronted many death metal bands, most notably At the Gates. He has been active as a musician and composer since the late 1980s. He also teaches social studies.
He started as a vocalist in the band Grotesque under the name Goatspell. When Grotesque fell apart he started melodic death metal band At the Gates. At the Gates broke up after the 1995 release of the highly acclaimed Slaughter of the Soul album, but reformed in 2007. In 1995 Lindberg provided vocals for three tracks on Ceremonial Oath's "Carpet" while Anders Fridén (In Flames) provided vocals for the other four tracks.
Since then, Lindberg has been involved in many other diverse musical projects within the metal and punk scene. He has fronted Hide, The Crown, Disfear, Skitsystem and the grindcore supergroup Lock Up, in which he performed alongside Napalm Death members Shane Embury (bass) and Jesse Pintado (guitar) and former Dimmu Borgir drummer, Nicholas Barker. He also did vocals for the Stockholm-based Sacrilege GBG on their 1996 European tour due to the difficulty for drummer/vocalist Daniel Svensson (In Flames) to do both.
He is earning praise for his Gothenburg-based outfit, The Great Deceiver, far removed from his previous work – a product of the Gothenburg melodic death metal scene mixed with influences from artists such as The Cure and Joy Division.
More recently he has worked with the band Nightrage, but shortly after their second album Descent into Chaos was released in 2005, Lindberg left the band so that a more full-time vocalist (Antony Hämäläinen) could accompany them on tours and studio albums. Lindberg occasionally provides guest vocals as seen on Darkest Hour's "The Sadist Nation", Transistor Transistor's "Young Vampires of New Hampshire" 7", and on Slowmotion Apocalypse's, "The Blessing" on the 2007 'Obsidian' album.
- Grotesque – In the Embrace of Evil (1989)
- At the Gates – Gardens of Grief (1991)
- At the Gates – The Red in the Sky Is Ours (1992)
- At the Gates – With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness (1993)
- At the Gates – Terminal Spirit Disease (1994)
- At the Gates – Slaughter of the Soul (1995)
- Skitsystem – Profithysteri (1995)
- Skitsystem – Ondskans ansikte (1996)
- Skitsystem/Wolfpack split – Levande lik (1998)
- Skitsystem – Grå värld/Svarta tankar (1999)
- Guest vocals on Devil Gate Ride on The Crown – Deathrace King (2000)
- The Great Deceiver – Jet Black Art (2000)
- Skitsystem – Enkel tesa till rännstenen (2001)
- Skitsystem – Skitsystem/Nasum Split (2002)
- The Great Deceiver – A Venom Well Designed (2002)
- Lock Up – Hate Breeds Suffering (2002)
- The Crown – Crowned in Terror (2002)
- Disfear – Misanthropic Generation (2003)
- Guest vocals on "Sadist Nation" from Darkest Hour – Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation (2003)
- Guest vocals on "Dirty Colored Knife and Under the Spell" from Nail Within – self-titled (2003)
- The Great Deceiver – Terra Incognito (2003)
- Nightrage – Sweet Vengeance (2003)
- Guest vocals on "Cancer of the Mind" from Area 54 – Beckoning of the End (2003)
- Nightrage – Descent into Chaos (2005)
- Lock Up – Play Fast or Die: Live in Japan (2005)
- The Great Deceiver – Life Is Wasted on the Living (2007)
- Guest vocals on "The Blessing" from Slowmotion Apocalypse – Obsidian (2007)
- Disfear – Live the Storm (2008)
- Guest vocals on "White Knives" from Transistor Transistor – Young Vampires of New Hampshire 7" (2008)
- Guest vocals on "Ruling Class Cancelled" from Misery Index – Traitors (2008)
- Necronaut – Necronaut Vocals on Rise of the Sentinel (2010)
- Nightrage – Vengeance Descending (2010)
- Guest vocals on "The Mark of the Beast Part 2" from Salem (Israel band) – Playing God and Other Short Stories (2010)
- Lock Up – Necropolis Transparent (2011)
- Nightrage – Guest vocals on Insidious (2011)
- Converge – guest vocals on Converge / Napalm Death (2012)
- The Blood of Heroes - Guest vocals on "The Waking Nightmare" (2013)
- At the Gates – At War with Reality (2014)
- Science Slam Sonic Explorers - guest vocals on Deep Time Predator (with Invertia) (2015)
- "Tomas Lindberg". Last.fm. Retrieved September 27, 2014.
- "The Daily Swarm". Retrieved September 27, 2014.
- "Interview – Tomas Lindberg of at the Gates – CrypticRock – Melodic Death Metal Cryptic Rock". Retrieved September 27, 2014.
- "THE 50 GREATEST METAL FRONT-MEN OF ALL TIME!". Roadrunner Records. Retrieved September 27, 2014.
- "Tomas Lindberg Discography and Music at CD Universe". Retrieved September 27, 2014.
- HPDC. "Happy People Don't Complain". Retrieved September 27, 2014.