A tomato sandwich is a sandwich of tomatoes between slices of bread. The bread of a tomato sandwich is typically spread with mayonnaise. A tomato sandwich may also be seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, anchovies, parsley or basil. Adding cheese is also popular as an open-face sandwich.
In the state of North Carolina they are most commonly associated with summer.
- ^ Smillie, Susan (30 April 2009). "Is the non-leak tomato a sandwich saviour?". The Guardian. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- ^ Thompson, Julie P. (1 August 2014). "The Secret To Making The Best Tomato Sandwich In The World". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- ^ David Tanis (3 August 2011). "Tomato Salad on a Roll". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- ^ Paula Deen. "Tomato Sandwich with Parsley or Basil". pauladeen.com. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- ^ "Open-Faced Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwich". Marthastewart.com. Meredith Corporation. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- ^ Hulsman, Matt (9 July 2014). "Update a Classic: Tomato Sandwich". Our State. Retrieved 11 June 2015.