|• Total||397.39 km2 (153.43 sq mi)|
|• Land||395.94 km2 (152.87 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.45 km2 (0.56 sq mi)|
|Area as of January 1, 2014.|
|Population (December 31, 2016)|
|• Density||34/km2 (87/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
The municipality was formed through a series of amalgamations taking place in 1952, 1969 and 1971. The number of pre-1952 units making up the present municipality is twenty.
Tomelilla Municipality is located in the south-eastern plains of Scania known as Österlen, which is an area notable for its beauty, and thus popular among painters as well as covered with summer cottages, country mansions, and so on.
There are 5 localities (or built-up areas)in Tomelilla Municipality. In the table they are listed according to the size of the population as of September 1, 2011. The municipal seat is in bold characters.
- The Apple War (1972)
- Ägget är löst (1975)
- Picassos äventyr (1978)
- Den enfaldige mördaren (1982)
- P&B (1983)
- Jim & piraterna Blom (1986)
If it wasn't for these movies and their popularity, Tomelilla would not have been more than a spot on the map. Quite a few famous people today own houses in the countryside surrounding Tomelilla. To mention a few:
- Hans Alfredson (director/actor)
- Gösta Ekman (actor)
- Ulf Lundell (singer)
- Gudrun Schyman (politician)
Its coat of arms is from 2002. It depicts the bird kite, native to the area, in silver on a red shield.
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (Microsoft Excel) (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2016" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 21, 2017. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tomelilla.|