3 April 1985 |
|FIDE rating||2579 (June 2018)|
|Peak rating||2656 (March 2011)|
Tomi Nybäck (born 3 April 1985 in Järvenpää) is a Finnish chess Grandmaster and poker player. He won the Finnish Chess Championship in 2008 and is the No. 1 ranked Finnish player as of February 2018.
Nybäck tied for first with Shakhriyar Mamedyarov and Mateusz Bartel in the European Under-18 championship of 2002, taking the bronze medal on tiebreak. In April 2002, he won the First Saturday GM B tournament in Budapest. In 2003 he won the Heart of Finland chess tournament in Jyväskylä.
Nybäck won the Finnish Championship in 2008 with a score of 9/9 points. In the same year he tied for second with Emanuel Berg at the Najdorf Memorial round-robin tournament (category 15, 2608) in Warsaw.
Nybäck tied for second place in the European Individual Chess Championship of 2008 by scoring 8/11 and this result allowed him to qualify for the Chess World Cup 2009. In the 2009 edition, he scored again 8/11, tying for first with other nine grandmasters. At the World Cup Nybäck knocked out Dmitry Andreikin in the first round to reach round two, where he was eliminated by Peter Svidler after tiebreaks.
- Svetozar Gligoric vs Tomi Nybäck, Rilton Cup 2003-4 2004, Benko Gambit: Accepted (A59), 0-1
- Santul Kosmo vs Tomi Nybäck, Rilton Cup 2006, Pirc Defense: General (B07), 0-1
- Tomi Nybäck vs Jens Henrichsen, Politiken Cup 2007, English Opening: Anglo-Indian Defense (A17), 1-0
- Tomi Nybäck vs Magnus Carlsen, Olympiad 2008, Queen's Gambit Declined: Harrwitz Attack (D37), 1-0
- Staff writer(s) (February 2018). "Federations Ranking - Finland". FIDE.
- Bartelski, Wojciech. "Men's Chess Olympiads: Tomi Nyback". OlimpBase. Retrieved 2009-07-04.
- "C.to Europeo U18". LOTO - Lost Tournaments. Italian Chess Federation. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Crowther, Mark (2002-04-15). "TWIC 388: First Saturday April". The Week in Chess. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "18th Heart of Finland - Previous winners". Shakki.net. Retrieved 2009-07-04.
- "FIDE Chess Tournament report: Finnish Championship". World Chess Federation. Retrieved 2009-07-04.
- Crowther, Mark (2008-08-11). "TWIC 718: Najdorf Memorial". The Week in Chess. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Plovdiv: Playoffs of the European Individual Championships". ChessBase. 2008-05-04. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- 10th European Individual Chess Championship Chess-Results
- "Standings of grandmaster group B 2010". Tata Steel Chess. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Tomi Nybäck player profile and games at Chessgames.com
- Tomi Nyback at 365Chess.com
- Rating data for Tomi Nyback
- ShakkiNet - Artikkelit-Galleria (in Finnish)
- Tomi Nyback Hendon Mob Poker Database
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tomi Nyback.|