Tommy Banks (chef)
|Born||1989 (age 29–30)|
In 2006, when he was 17, Tommy Banks' parents bought the pub and restaurant The Black Swan at Oldstead, and he became involved in the running of the business. He worked in the kitchen and started to learn to cook. He had no formal training as chef, but worked several unpaid stages in Michelin-starred restaurants including a week spent in Raymond Blanc's restaurant in Oxfordshire, Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons.
The restaurant at The Black Swan first won a Michelin Star in 2012 with Adam Jackson as chef. When Jackson left to set up his own restaurant in June 2013, Banks took over as head chef at The Black Swan. At the age of 24, Banks was the youngest chef to receive a Michelin Star when the restaurant retained its Michelin Star that year.
In 2016, Banks took part in Great British Menu. In the final, he won the fish course with a dish entitled 'Preserving The Future'. He also appeared in the programme in 2017 and again won with his fish course of turbot with strawberries and cream.
Tommy now regularly appears on Saturday Kitchen as a Guest Chef.
- "Chef Tommy among the culinary elite - aged just 24". www.yorkshirepost.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-08-12.
- "The Black Swan: Michelin-starred restaurant is really worth a detour". 2015-11-18. Retrieved 2016-08-12.
- Perraudin, Frances (11 October 2017). "Black Swan country pub in Yorkshire named world's best restaurant". The Guardian.
- Bryant, Amy (12 October 2017). "Inside Tommy Banks' The Black Swan, voted best in the world by Tripadvisor". The Daily Telegraph.
- "Chef Tommy among the culinary elite - aged just 24". Yorkshire Post. 10 March 2014.
- Freeman, Sarah (29 March 2015). "So, how DO you run a Michelin star restaurant?". The Yorkshire Post.
- Gerrard, Neil (23 June 2013). "Adam Jackson leaves Black Swan at Oldstead". The Caterer.
- Shingler, Tom (23 May 2017). "Tommy Banks: north Yorkshire's shining star". Great British Chefs.
- Love, Laura (20 February 2017). "Young North Yorkshire chef named in prestigious foodie magazine's 'favourite things' list". Gazette Live.
- Love, Laura (8 October 2016). "Tommy Banks: North Yorkshire chef wins chance to cook at Great British Menu banquet". Gazette Live.