Thomas Field (baseball)
February 22, 1987 |
|September 11, 2011, for the Colorado Rockies|
(through May 22, 2015)
|Runs batted in||6|
Thomas Samuel Field (born February 22, 1987) is an American professional baseball infielder in the Texas Rangers organization. He has also played for the Colorado Rockies and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Field was drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 24th round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft out of Texas State University. Field was assigned to the Short-Season A Tri-City Dust Devils, where in 56 games, Field hit .247 with 5 HR, 32 RBI and 10 SB.
Field played all of 2009 with the Single-A Asheville Tourists, where in 89 games, Field hit .257 with 2 HR, 32 RBI and 8 SB. Field played all of 2010 with the Class A-Advanced Modesto Nuts, where in 124 games, he hit .284 with 15 HR, 72 RBI and 16 SB. After the season, Field played with the Scottsdale Scorpions of the Arizona Fall League, where he hit .209 in 18 games.
Field began the 2011 season with the Double-A Tulsa Drillers, where in 134 games he hit .271 with 17 HR, 61 RBI and 9 SB. On September 11, he was called up to the Rockies. He made his debut that day, and recorded his first hit in his third game (second start), a single off of Shaun Marcum. In 16 games with the Rockies that year, he hit .271 with 3 RBI.
Field began 2012 with the Triple-A Colorado Springs Sky Sox. On July 28, Field was recalled when Marco Scutaro was traded to the San Francisco Giants, but was optioned back to Colorado Springs the next day when Jonathan Herrera was activated from the disabled list. He went 0-2 with a walk in his 2 game stint. In 121 games with Colorado Springs, he hit .246 with 8 HR, 49 RBI and 4 SB.
In 2 seasons with the Rockies, Field hit .260/.315/.260 in 18 games with 3 RBI and 0 XBH. On November 2, 2012 he was claimed off waivers by the Minnesota Twins. On November 28, Field was claimed off of waivers by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Field began 2013 with the Triple-A Salt Lake Bees. On April 20, Field was recalled when Mark Lowe was placed on the disabled list, but was optioned back to Salt Lake 3 days later when Nick Maronde was recalled. On July 20, Field was recalled to replace Brendan Harris, who was designated for assignment.
Field was designated for assignment on August 7, 2014. He was then claimed by the Pittsburgh Pirates on August 10, 2014. The Pirates designated Field for assignment on August 24, 2014. He was signed by the Texas Rangers on December 16, 2014, to a minor league contract. Field made his Rangers' debut on May 11, 2015 against the Kansas City Royals and hit his first career homerun in the same game. He hit another homer on May 16, 2015 against the Cleveland Indians. He was designated for assignment by the Rangers on May 30.
- 2008 Colorado Rockies Draft Picks
- Rockies select the contracts of Thomas Field and Drew Pomeranz
- Gonzalez, Alden (November 28, 2012). "Angels claim shortstop Field off waivers". MLB.com. Retrieved March 13, 2015.
- Boor, William (April 20, 2013). "Lowe lands on DL; Field recalled from Triple-A". Angels.com.
- Lippman, Jeff (April 23, 2013). "Angels recall Nick Maronde, option Thomas Field". CBS Sports.
- Garro, Adrian (July 20, 2013). "Angels DFA Brendan Harris, Call Up Tommy Field". Valley Bay News.
- Gonzalez, Alden (August 7, 2014). "Angels add reliever Pestano for prospect". MLB.com. Retrieved August 7, 2014.
- Wilmoth, Charlie (August 29, 2014). "Pirates outright Tommy Field". Yahoo! Sports. SBNation. Retrieved December 16, 2014.
- "Rangers sign Japanese reliever Fujikawa". ESPN.com. Associated Press. December 16, 2014. Retrieved December 16, 2014.