Hottovy with the Boston Red Sox
July 9, 1981 |
Kansas City, Missouri
|June 3, 2011, for the Boston Red Sox|
|October 1, 2012, for the Kansas City Royals|
(through 2012 season)
|Earned run average||4.05|
Thomas L. Hottovy (born July 9, 1981) is an American former professional baseball pitcher. He was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the fourth round of the 2004 Major League Baseball draft. He played college baseball at Wichita State.
Boston Red Sox
Hottovy began his professional career as a starting pitcher with the Lowell Spinners in 2004. In 30.1 innings with Lowell, the left hander gave up three earned runs. The following season he was promoted to High-A Wilmington, where he had a 5.45 ERA and a 3-12 record in 23 starts. He split the 2006 season between Wilmington and Portland, Maine, with a 10-10 record and a 3.15 ERA between the two teams. He spent the 2007 and 2008 seasons with the Portland Sea Dogs, earning 5.61 and 5.00 ERAs respectively in each of the seasons. In 2009, he became a full-time relief pitcher. He was sent back to Low-A Lowell for five games before returning to Portland. As a reliever from 2009–2011 with Lowell, Portland and the Triple-A Pawtucket Red Sox, he appeared in 76 games, giving up 63 runs in 136.1 innings.
He was called up to the major leagues for the first time on June 3, 2011. He got the Red Sox out of jams in his first two MLB outings, inducing a ground-out and a double play, both to end innings. In total, he made eight appearances for Boston, allowing three earned runs in four innings of work before being designated for assignment on July 16.
Kansas City Royals
He became a free agent on November 2, 2011 and signed with the Kansas City Royals on November 15. Hottovy split his time between the Royals and Triple-A Omaha. In 9 games with the Royals, Hottovy had a 2.89 ERA with 6 strikeouts in 9.1 innings. With Omaha, he had 7 saves in 41 games and a 2.52 ERA while striking out 61 in 50 innings. On November 2, 2012 the Royals designated Hottovy for assignment.
On November 8, 2012, Hottovy was acquired by the Texas Rangers for a player to be named later or cash considerations. On January 7, 2013, Hottovy was designated for assignment to make room for Lance Berkman on the roster.
Toronto Blue Jays
He was claimed off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays on January 10, 2013. The Blue Jays designated Hottovy for assignment on January 11. 2013 to make room for Henry Blanco on their roster. Hottovy was outrighted to the Buffalo Bisons on January 16.
- "Tommy Hottovy". thebaseballcube.com. Retrieved 3 June 2011.
- Edes, Gordon. "Sox add Hottovy, move Daisuke to 60-day DL". ESPN. Retrieved 3 June 2011.
- "Royals claim RHP Moscoso, C Hayes off waivers". Yahoo! Sports. Associated Press. 2 November 2012. Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- Wilson, Jeff (November 8, 2012). "Rangers acquire lefty reliever Tommy Hottovy". Fort Worth Star Telegram.
- "Toronto Blue Jays transactions for January 2013". MLB.com. January 2013. Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- "Bisons add trio of arms". Buffalo Bisons. June 4, 2013. Retrieved June 4, 2013.
- "Minor Acquisitions: Tommy Hottovy, Charles Cutler". Bleacher Nation. December 12, 2013. Retrieved December 12, 2013.