|New York Yankees – No. 48|
August 7, 1989 |
Latham, New York
|April 3, 2014, for the Colorado Rockies|
(through August 17, 2017)
|Earned run average||3.56|
Thomas Robert Kahnle (born August 7, 1989) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the New York Yankees of Major League Baseball (MLB). He has also played in MLB for the Colorado Rockies and the Chicago White Sox.
Kahnle played high school baseball at Shaker High School in Latham, New York and college baseball at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Florida. He was drafted by the New York Yankees in the fifth round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft.
Kahnle made his professional debut for the Staten Island Yankees in 2010. He appeared in 11 games and had a 0.56 earned run average and 25 strikeouts over 16 innings pitched. He played for the Charleston RiverDogs in 2011, recording a 4.22 ERA and 112 strikeouts over 81 innings. He spent the 2012 season between the Tampa Yankees and Trenton Thunder. He had a 2.37 ERA with 74 strikeouts in 57 innings.
Kahnle was drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 2013 Rule 5 Draft. He opened the 2014 season on the Rockies' Opening Day roster, and made his major league debut on April 3. He would finish the season appearing in 54 games with a 4.19 ERA in 68 plus innings. The following season, Kahnle spent half the season in the minors, only appearing in 36 games for the Rockies while recording 2 saves. Kahnle was designated for assignment following the 2015 season, and traded to the Chicago White Sox for Yency Almonte on November 24, 2015. In his first season with the White Sox, Kahnle appeared in just 29 games but lowered his ERA to 2.63.
Through the first half of the 2017 season, Kahnle was enjoying a career year, posting a 2.50 ERA while striking out 60 batters in just 36 innings and lowering his walk rate from the previous 3 seasons. On July 18, 2017, the White Sox traded Kahnle, Todd Frazier, and David Robertson to the New York Yankees for Blake Rutherford, Tyler Clippard, Ian Clarkin, and Tito Polo.
- "Former Shaker pitcher Tommy Kahnle taken by Yankees in MLB Draft". Northcolonie.org. June 9, 2010. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Yankee prospect Tommy Kahnle ready to take next step in pro career". Troyrecord.com. December 12, 1913. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Yankee Prospects Austin, Kahnle and Pinder Promoted to Trenton". Milb.com. January 2, 2013. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- "Tommy Kahnle to pitch in elite company - Yankees training camp". Troyrecord.com. January 31, 2013. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- Times Union (February 28, 2013). "Kahnle solid in Yankees debut". Timesunion.com. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- Buynak, Matt. "Yankees’ prospect Tommy Kahnle shining in system". Sportzedge.com. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- Tymkovich, Jay (2014-03-28). "Jordan Lyles optioned to minors, Franklin Morales takes over as 5th starter, and Tommy Kahnle to bullpen". Purple Row. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- "Rockies designate Axford, Rosario for assignment". ESPN.com. Associated Press. November 20, 2015. Retrieved November 21, 2015.
- Saunders, Patrick. "Tommy Kahnle traded by Rockies for White Sox’s Yency Almonte – The Denver Post". Denverpost.com. Retrieved 2017-07-19.