- For other persons named Thomas Martin or Martyn, see Thomas Martin
|Full name||Thomas Martyn|
4 June 1971|
Leigh, Lancashire, England
Tommy Martyn (born 4 June 1971) is an English former professional rugby league footballer of the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s, and coach of the 2000s. He played at representative level for Ireland, and at club level for Oldham, St. Helens in the Championship, and, subsequently, Super League, and Leigh, as a stand-off. Martyn was known for his very good passing ability and vision. He was able to enjoy a successful rugby career despite undergoing two knee reconstructions.
The son of the rugby league footballer Tommy Martyn Sr, and the nephew of the Leigh and Great Britain rugby league footballer Mick Martyn, Martyn played for St Helens from the interchange bench in their 1996 Challenge Cup Final victory over Bradford Bulls. Tommy Martyn, Jr. teamed up with Bobbie Goulding in the halves for the 1997 Challenge Cup Final at Wembley. His two tries and try-saving ankle tap tackle on Danny Peacock helped St. Helens to victory and earned him the Lance Todd Trophy as man-of-the-match. Martyn played for St. Helens at scrum half back in their 1999 Super League Grand Final victory over Bradford Bulls.
Having won the 1999 Super League Grand Final, St. Helens contested in the 2000 World Club Challenge against National Rugby League Premiers Melbourne, with Martyn playing as a stand-off half back in the loss. He also played for St. Helens at stand-off half back in their 2000 Super League Grand Final victory over Wigan. In 2000, Martyn's abilities were rewarded when he was selected to represent Ireland in the 2000 Rugby League World Cup. As Super League V champions, St. Helens played against 2000 NRL Premiers, Brisbane in the 2001 World Club Challenge. Martyn played at stand-off half back in Saints' victory.
- Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org
- "Martyn quits Saints for Leigh". BBC News. 2003-06-21. Retrieved 25 May 2010.
- "Leigh RLFC Past Players Association dinner". thisislancashire.co.uk. 6 August 2009. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "steveprescottfoundation.co.uk". Steve Prescott Stats. Steve Prescott Foundation. Retrieved 3 June 2012.
- Kelner, Simon (1997-05-04). "Saints go shining through the hype". The Independent. London: independent.co.uk. Retrieved 5 December 2009.
- "Martyn to add Wolves bite". Sky Sports. 2008-04-10. Retrieved 10 April 2008.
- "Martyn kicks in". Runcorn and Widnes World. 11 December 2009. Retrieved 3 August 2012.[dead link]