From 1987 to 1989 he was the bassist of the popular Christian rock band White Heart which he left to become a studio musician and producer. During 1992-1993, he played bass on the Bruce Springsteen and the "Other Band" Tour. He is also a songwriter, who co-wrote Eric Clapton's "Change the World" which won the Grammy Award for Song of the Year in 1997. Other songs of his have been recorded by Bonnie Raitt, Susan Tedeschi, Garth Brooks, Cher, BlackStreet, Toni Braxton and BabyFace among others. Sims has also worked with Michael Bolton, Amy Grant, Kelly Clarkson, Carman, CeCe Winans, Israel Houghton, Michael W. Smith, The Neville Brothers, Michelle Williams of Destiny's Child, Brian Courtney Wilson and others.
Television and film contributions
In addition to writing and producing, Sims also released a solo album in August 2000 entitled Peace and Love. A song from this release, "It Don't Matter to the Sun", was featured on the soundtrack of the hit television drama Grey's Anatomy. Sims' film contributions include Bruce Springsteen's recording "Streets of Philadelphia" which appeared in the Tom Hanks film Philadelphia, widely regarded as the first major film to deal openly with subject of AIDS and gay rights. The film and the song also went on to be heavy recognized at the following year's Academy Awards garnering several "Oscars" including the Best Song trophy. Sims' "Change The World was also featured in John Travolta's film Phenomenon and while winning the Grammy Award for Song Of The Year was rendered ineligible for nomination at that year's Academy Awards because of its prior release by Wynonna Judd. Sims has gone on to have his songs featured in several other blockbuster films including Kevin Costner's For Love Of The Game and Natalie Portman and Ashley Judd's Where the Heart Is. Cameo appearance as himself in Down Under the Big Top, a short film from 1996 by the Newsboys.
- Amy Grant - Heart in Motion, House of Love, Behind the Eyes
- Carman - "The Standard" (1993), "R.I.O.T. (Righteous Invasion of Truth)" (1996)
- Bruce Springsteen - In Concert/MTV Plugged, "Streets Of Philadelphia"
- Garth Brooks - The Life of Chris Gaines, "Retrospective"
- Michael McDonald - Blue Obsession
- Kenny Loggins - It's About Time
- BlackStreet - Another Level
- Toni Braxton - The Heat
- Robert Randolph and the Family Band - "ColorBlind"
- Taylor Swift - Speak Now
- Rachael Lampa - Rachael Lampa
- Bonnie Raitt - "Silver Lining", "Souls Alike", "I Can't Help You Now"
- Kelly Clarkson - Thankful
- Newsboys - Shine: The Hits
- Taylor Dayne - Naked Without You
- Natalie Grant - Deeper Life
- Michelle Williams - Do You Know
- Marvin Winans - Alone But Not Alone
- Darwin Hobbs - Worshipper - Broken - Vertical
- Israel and New Breed - Real, "The Power of One"
- Jonny Lang - "Fight for My Soul" (2013)
- Brian Courtney Wilson - "Just Love"
- Cece Winans - Let Them Fall in Love, "You Will"
- Which Way (Intro)
- New Jam
- When You Go
- Write One
- The Way It Used to Be
- Comin' Home
- The Ballad of Sophie
- It Don't Matter
- Love's Patience
- Peace and Love
- Which Way
- "Peace and Love by Tommy Sims on Apple Music". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved October 17, 2017.
- Tommy Sims on Soul Walking