Matsuyama is influenced by a variety of subjects, including Japanese art from the Edo and Meiji eras, classical Greek and Roman statuary, French Renaissance painting, postwar contemporary art, and the visual language of global, popular culture as embodied by mass-produced commodities.
Education and career
From 2012 to May 2017, Matsuyama was an Adjunct Professor at the School of Visual Arts in NYC.
- Oh Magic Night, HOCA Foundation (Hong Kong Contemporary Art), Hong Kong
- Somewhere Here, Zidoun-Bossuyt Gallery, Luxembourg
- 17 Hours, Museum of Contemporary Art Australia, Sydney, Australia
- Come with me, Gallery Wendi Norri, San Francisco, CA
- Sky is the Limit, Harbour City, Hong Kong
- Out Side Looking In, Lesley Kehoe Galleries, Melbourne, Australia
- Palimpsest, Harvard University, Reischauer Institute, Cambridge, Boston
- The Standard Rendezvous, Zidoun Gallery, Luxembourg
- New Works, Mark Moore Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- The Future Is Always Bright, Frey Norris Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- Thousand Regards, Katzen Art Center, American University Museum, Washington DC
- East Weets Mest, Joshua Liner Gallery, New York, NY
- In Case You're Lost, Frey Norris Gallery, San Francisco, CA
- Glancing at the Twin Peak, Joshua Liner Gallery, New York, NY
- Polarize, FIFTY24SF Gallery in San Francisco, CA
- Between the Polar, Takuro Someya Contemporary Art, Kashiwa, Chica, Japan
- Matzu-MTP Expo, Gallery SPEAK FOR, Tokyo, Japan
- Joshua Liner Gallery (2017). "Artists: Tomokazu Matsuyama". Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- "Showing: Matzu / Tomokazu Matsuyama – "Somewhere Here" @ Zidoun-Bossuyt Gallery". Arrested Motion. November 24, 2015. Retrieved April 13, 2017.