Tomsk State University of Architecture and Construction
|Motto||Firmitas. Utilitas. Venustas|
|Rector||Victor Alekseevich Vlasov|
Tomsk State University of Architecture and Building (TSUAB) is one of the leading civil engineering universities in Western Siberia. TSUAB provides fundamental and applied training of students within bachelor, master and specialist programs in architecture and civil engineering. TSUAB mission is developing the best traditions of architectural and construction science and education based on the united approach of teaching, practicing and research:
- training specialists: dignified citizens of the Russian Federation, able to acquire new knowledge independently and timely in constantly changing world of technologies, to be leaders and team-players, and fit in the competitive environment;
- generating new knowledge aimed at maintaining the dynamic development of the national construction industry;
- actively influencing the development of architecture and construction complex of the region and country on the whole.
- 1 History
- 2 Organizational Structure
- 3 University branches
- 4 International activities
- 5 Partners
- 6 Material and technical facilities
- 7 Museum Complex
- 8 TSUAB Publishing Office
- 9 Students’ life
- 10 External links
TSUAB history dates back to 1901 when the First Siberian Merchant School was established. In 1904 merchants of Tomsk put their efforts together with city authorities to construct special building for the school which is currently known as the second building of TSUAB ("the red one"). The project was headed by famous architect Konstantin K. Lygin. During Revolution and Civil War the school turned from specialized educational establishment into higher education institution: at Kolchak time it was occupied by Academy of General Staff of Russian Army evacuated from Moscow, further at Soviet times it turned into First Siberian Applied Polytechnic Institute. To raise prestige of secondary specialized schools in 1923 when they were subjected to reformation, the school was reorganized in the First Siberian Polytechnic College named after K.A. Timiryazev. That was an example of a classic educational institution on the east of the country. Industrial development in 1930 defines the necessity of fast growth in the number of technical schools and Tomsk Polytechnic College is divided into many new Tomsk technical schools, Polytechnic College is disestablished. One of them,Tomsk Milling-Elevator Technical School (training specialists-technicians and site engineers for construction of elevators in Siberia), was located in buildings on Solyanaya Square. However, next year in 1931 governmental decree was issued to reorganize technical school into Tomsk Milling-Elevator Institute. The Institute also got the neighboring building – the former building of NKVD (The People's Commissariat for Internal Affairs). It was reformed as an additional academic building of new university. Nowadays it is the third building of TSUAB (symbolic elevator and year of this emblem creation can still be seen on the fronton). In 1939 another governmental decision relocates the Institute back to Moscow and the available buildings are given to Tomsk Milling-Elevator Technical School (second organization). In 1943 it was renamed into Tomsk Polytechnic (second organization). Modern educational establishment "Tomsk State University of Architecture and Building" begins its history from 1952 when governmental decision was to establish a new institute – Tomsk Institute for Training Engineers Constructing Elevators on the base of Tomsk Polytechnic Ministry of Provision of USSR. In 1953 the Institute obtained the status of Tomsk Engineering Construction Institute. In 1960-1961 the university became one of the leading civil engineering institutes of Siberia; it was among the five of best engineering and construction universities of the country.
In 1993 Tomsk Engineering Construction Institute was renamed into Tomsk State Architectural Construction Academy. In 1997 the university got the status of university and was renamed into Tomsk State University of Architecture and Building. TSUAB started its work from faculty of Civil Engineering, the faculty trained specialists within "Civil and Industrial Engineering Program". First year enrollment was provided by 15 professors. In 1957 103 civil engineers and 48 water-engineers became first graduated from the university and were forwarded to the largest construction projects of the country. Since the foundation until now the university trained more than 55 thousand of qualified engineers. In 1960-1980s TSUAB trained students within 5 faculties (civil engineering, road construction, machinery, technology and architecture) as well as provided part-time and distance teaching in 7 specialties; research work has been actively developing, foundation for the formation of scientific schools and research directions has been laid. Significant role has been played by 6 rectors of the university: Potokin A.A. (1952—1953), Zhestkov S.V. (1953—1955), Damanskii L.M. (1955—1958), Postnikov M.V. (1958—1968), Rogov G.M. (1968—2005 гг.), Slobodskoi M.I. (2005—2012). Gennady M. Rogov, Prof. Dr., headed the university for 37 years (1968 – 2005) and contributed greatly into university development. The university was converted into university complex: new faculties were established, as well as new institutes and university branches, new specialties were opened, 6 new academic buildings were commissioned together with four students’ dormitories, child care center, children health center, sport complex, etc.
In 2005 – 2012 the university was headed by Mikhail I. Slobodskoi. The university opened architectural and construction incubator, providing undergraduates, master students and young researchers with information, material and technical and legal support for realization of their creative projects and ideas. Currently the university is headed by professor Viktor A. Vlasov, Dr., honoured worker of science and technology of the Russian Federation, full member of International Higher Education Academy of Sciences and International Authors’ Academy of scientific discoveries and inventions, presidium member and educational-methodological association of civil engineering universities, chair of expert board in construction and infrastructure by the governor of Tomsk Region, member of Public Chamber of Tomsk Region, chair and member of 2 doctoral dissertation councils, honoured worker of higher professional education of Russia.
- Research Institute of Building Materials
- Regional Project Institute
- Lifelong Learning Institute
- Extramural and Distance Education Institute
- Institute of Cadastre, Economics and Engineering Systems in Construction
- Institute of Independent Expertise and Research
- Institute for International Affairs and Internationalization of Education
- General Education Faculty
- Architecture Faculty
- Civil Engineering Faculty
- Road Engineering and Construction Faculty
- Machinery and Technologies Faculty
- Extramural Faculty
- Tomsk Construction Certification Center
- Testing Center of Oil and Lubricants and Vehicles
- Regional Center of Open Network
- Scientific and Technical Center "Automatics"
- Center of Career Guidance and Employment
- E-learning Center
- Asino branch of Tomsk State University of Architecture and Building. Address: Partizanskaya St. 47, 636800, Asino (Tomsk Region) Russia, (38241) 2-38-51, email@example.com
- Belovo branch of Tomsk State University of Architecture and Building. Address: Tekhnologichesky Distr. 11, 652644, Belovo (Kemerovo Region),(38452) 9-75-42, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leninsk-Kuznetsk branch of Tomsk State University of Architecture and Building. Address: Kishinevsky Lane 21A, 652500, Leninsk-Kuznetsk (Kemerovo Region),(38456) 5-35-04, email@example.com
- Novokuznetsk branch of Tomsk State University of Architecture and Building. Address: Den’ Shakhtera St. 15A, 654086, Novokuznetsk (Kemerovo Region),(3843) 31-90-06, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Strezhevoi branch of Tomsk State University of Architecture and Building. Address: Ermakova St. 127A, 636762, Strezhevoi (Tomsk Region),(38259) 3-07-00, email@example.com
TSUAB is the member of European Civil Engineering Education and Training Association, Institution of Civil and Structural Engineers, Association of European Civil Engineering Faculties and International Association of Architectural and Construction Universities of Russia and CIS-countries.
University collaborates with public organizations, scientific and educational organizations of Germany, France, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Vietnam, Poland, Azerbaijan, China.
International scientific activity
Key processes of international science development in TSUAB:
- Consulting staff members about publications in international scientific journals and researchers exchange
- Managing proposals for national and foreign foundations to get financial support for international research projects
- Organizing international scientific events
- Meeting foreign guests and delegations
- Performing research work for foreign partners and customers
- Establishing international labs and R&D centers
- Launching TSUAB innovation to the world market
- Building the network of international partners, entering into collaboration agreements
- Developing researchers’ competencies needed for holding effective international projects
- Encouraging international research projects
TSUAB is a member of scientific, education and public organizations:
- Engineering Sciences Academy;
- Academy of Higher Education of Russian Federation;
- Housing and Utility Academy of Russian Federation;
- Russian Academy of Architecture and Construction Sciences;
- International Higher Education Academy of Sciences;
- Association of Strategic Partnership of Architecture and Construction Universities within the frameworks of integrating program on development of national research university of civil engineering and architecture;
- Association of non-commercial organizations "Tomsk Consortium of Scientific and Educational and Research Organizations";
- Siberian Open University;
- Non-profit partnership Community of design organizations (design, construction, surveying, energy-saving, work with architectural heritage);
- Union of Constructors of Russian Federation;
- Union of Constructors of Tomsk Region;
- Union of Architects of Russia.
Material and technical facilities
- 12 modern academic buildings, total surface of over 50 thousand m2 ;
- Library with over 700 thousand units of storage;
- Unique research and development equipment
- 7 modern students dormitories;
- Sport complex with playing halls;
- Stadium with football field and hockey rink;
- University sanatorium;
- Health and education center for children "Yunyi Tomich";
- Geodesic ground in the village Yarskoe.
Museum of TSUAB history and museum of Geoinformation Technology and Cadastre Institute collecting and storing documents and archives organize expositions and temporary exhibitions; also organize anniversary meetings of graduates, annual quiz on the university history, excursions on cultural objects of the city and other events.
TSUAB Publishing Office
TSUAB Publishing Office (until 2006 – printing and publication department) was established in 1998. It issues scientific publications in fundamental and applied research within the fields of philosophy, mathematics, architecture, civil engineering, geology, ecology, etc.; scholarly works and conference proceedings; study books proved by Educational and Methodological Association and Ministry of Higher Education Institutions, etc. Publishing office is the member of Publishers-Polygraphic Association of Russian universities, it takes active participation in city, regional, Russian and international competitions and exhibitions, is awarded with diploma of international contest "Zolotaya Kapitel", as well as first-degree diploma in international contest of graduation projects in architecture. In September 1998 scientific and technical journal "Vestnik of TSUAB" has been established. It is a platform for publishing results of fundamental and applied research. The journal is issued in Russian and English languages and is included in the list of "Leading Russian Peer-reviewed Scientific Journals", approved by Higher Attestation Commission and is included in Urlich's Periodicals Directory, DOAJ.
Culture and creativity
• Institutional club; • The union of literature fans "Yarus"; • Society of volunteers "Vykhod".
Sport club actively organizes and participates in sport competitions of different levels (university, city, regional and Russian national), solves the crucial problems of developing the leading university sportsmen, as well as general physical development and health improvement of students and staff. Priority sports at TSUAB are biathlon, boxing, kettlebell lifting, basketball, karate, sambo, track and field athletics, football, table tennis, skiing where our students achieve top results.
Students construction brigades
Students’ construction brigades play an important role in the formation of professional strength of civil engineers during many years. They celebrated their 50th anniversary in 2013. Construction brigades develop actively at TSUAB thanks to effective work of university headquarter of construction brigades and support of university structural divisions.
- Tomsk State University of Architecture and Building
- For entrants
- Institute of international relations and internationalization of education
- TSUAB in Facebook