Kayak (1974), left to right: Max Werner, Pim Koopman, Johan Slager, Ton Scherpenzeel and Bert Veldkamp
6 August 1952 |
|Genres||Progressive rock, pop|
|Occupation(s)||keyboardist, composer, producer|
|Associated acts||Kayak, Camel, Earth and Fire, Youp van 't Hek|
Ton Scherpenzeel (Hilversum, 6 August 1952) is a keyboardist and a founding member of the Dutch rock band Kayak, together with Pim Koopman and Max Werner whom he met whilst at the Hilversum Muziek Lyceum (Hilversum College of Music).
His first solo album (1978) was an adaptation of Le carnaval des animaux by French classical music composer Camille Saint-Saëns. In 1980, Ton wrote the score for the Dutch movie Spetters, featuring Rutger Hauer. His second solo album, Heart of the Universe (with Chris Rainbow), came in 1984 and is a combination of instrumental and vocal tracks.
Subsequent to Kayak, Ton became the keyboardist of Camel, a British band. He also played several years with Earth and Fire. He also wrote almost all music for the songs in the shows of Dutch comedian Youp van 't Hek.
In 1991 Scherpenzeel released his third solo album Virgin Grounds, under the pseudonym Orion. In 1998 he played a synth solo on the song "Cosmic Fusion", from Ayreon's album Into the Electric Castle, a rock opera on which Edward Reekers, also of Kayak, played one of the main roles. In 2013 he released his fourth solo CD, The Lion's Dream.
- Le carnaval des animaux (1978)
- Heart of the Universe (1984)
- Virgin Grounds (1991, under the pseudonym Orion)
- The Lion's Dream (2013)
Studio albums with Kayak
- See See the Sun (1973)
- Kayak II (1974)
- Royal Bed Bouncer (1975)
- The Last Encore (1976)
- Starlight Dancer (1977)
- Phantom of the Night (1979)
- Periscope Life (1980)
- Merlin (1981)
- Eyewitness (1981) ("Live" studio album)
- Close to the Fire (2000)
- Night Vision (2001)
- Merlin – Bard of the Unseen (2003)
- Nostradamus – The Fate of Man (2005) (Double CD)
- Coming Up for Air (2008)
- Letters from Utopia (2009) (Double CD)
- Anywhere but Here (2011)
- Cleopatra - The Crown Of Isis (2014) (Double CD)
With Earth and Fire
- Phoenix (1989)
- Stationary Traveller (1984)
- Pressure Points (1984, live)
- Dust and Dreams (1991)
- Rajaz (1999)
- "Orion (33) - Virgin Grounds (CD, Album)". Discogs. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- Bollenberg, John (19 October 2003). "Kayak - Merlin: Bard Of The Unseen". ProgressiveWorld.net. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Earth & Fire* - Phoenix (Vinyl, LP, Album)". Discogs. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Camel - Stationary Traveller (Vinyl, LP, Album)". Discogs. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Camel - Pressure Points - Live In Concert (Vinyl, LP)". Discogs. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Camel - Dust And Dreams (CD, Album)". Discogs. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Camel - Rajaz (CD, Album)". Discogs. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle - A Space Opera (CD)". Discogs. Retrieved 29 October 2011.