Ton of Cash
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Ton of Cash|
|Created by||Cris Abrego|
|Presented by||Dhani Jones|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||11|
|Production company(s)||51 Minds Entertainment|
|Original release||August 17 –|
October 26, 2011
Ton of Cash was a show on VH1 that premiered on August 17, 2011. It was hosted by Dhani Jones. The show centered on a group of contestants trying to haul $1,000,000 from L.A. to Las Vegas. It premiered on prime time but was moved to Thursday mornings at 2AM Eastern timeslot after the premiere due to low ratings.
Each week the contestants faced challenges on their way to Las Vegas that involved moving money from one point to another in a certain amount of time. A person, the financial adviser, was supposed to lead the team in a challenge. A new financial adviser was chosen every challenge. The financial adviser had the responsibility to press a button to stop the challenge when either all the money has been moved or they believed they already have enough money. If the financial adviser pressed the button before time is out they were safe from elimination and have to nominate three other people for elimination. If the financial adviser pressed the button when it went into overtime they were nominated for elimination but still had to nominate two others. If time went into overtime the contestants lost $1,000 a minute in the first half-hour, $5,000 a minute in the second half-hour, and then $50,000 a minute after that. Plus any money that was left on the course will be gone. Besides the three people nominated for elimination everyone else voted to keep someone safe. The two people with the fewest votes then faced off in an elimination challenge, properly called Prove Your Worth, and one of them was eliminated. At the end of each episode, viewers participated in a poll via text message and decide if the eliminated contestant should receive $1,000 to help them get back on their feet.
|Episode||U.S. Air Date||Viewers|
|"Ton of Cash"||August 17, 2011||312,000|
|"Under the Bus"||August 24, 2011||201,000|
|"Queen for a Day"||August 30, 2011||267,000|
|"If Lakes Could Kill"||September 7, 2011||208,000|
|"Frozen ASSets"||September 14, 2011||171,000|
|"When the Trailer's Rockin' Don't Come Knockin"||September 21, 2011||N/A|
|"Cash of the Titans"||September 28, 2011||N/A|
|"Impending Dune"||October 12, 2011||321,000|
|"Zippity-Dough-Dah"||October 19, 2011||N/A|
|"Stuck Between a Place and a Hard Rock"||October 26, 2011||N/A|
- Episodes 1-4 Wednesday's at 9:00EST
- Episodes 5-7 Wednesday's at 11:00EST
- Episodes 8-11 Thursday's at 2:00AM EST
|4||Vanessa||SAFE||SAFE||NOM||SAFE||NOM||BTM 3||SAFE||BTM 2||SAFE||OUT|
|7||Chuck||NOM||NOM||BTM 2||BTM 2||SAFE||SAFE||OUT|
|9||Willy Gilley||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||SAFE||BTM 2||OUT|
- (WINNER) The contestant won Ton of Cash.
- (SAFE) The contestant was not up for elimination.
- (SAFE) The contestant was the Financial Advisor and saved themselves from elimination or got all the money on time.
- (NOM) The contestant was the Financial Advisor, was automatically nominated for elimination, and was chosen as the Safe Investment.
- (NOM) The contestant was nominated for the elimination by the Financial Advisor but was chosen as the Safe Investment.
- (BTM 2/3) The contestant was nominated for elimination by the Financial Advisor, but won the Prove Your Worth challenge.
- (OUT) The contestant was nominated for elimination by the Financial Advisor, and lost the Prove Your Worth challenge.
- The contestant was a member of the Black Team in the Episode 6 challenge.
- The contestant was a member of the Red Team in the Episode 6 challenge.
- The contestant was a member of the Blue Team in the Episode 6 challenge, survived the Prove Your Worth vote, and won the Prove Your Worth challenge.
In 2012, contestant Vanessa appeared as a contestant on episodes of Fox's Take Me Out, a dating television show.
- "Wednesday's Cable Ratings: "Royal Pains" Goes Out on Top". The Futon Critic. September 9, 2011. Retrieved September 27, 2012.