My Little Monster
|My Little Monster|
Cover of the first manga volume, featuring main characters: Haru Yoshida (left) and Shizuku Mizutani (right).
(Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun)
|Original run||August 23, 2008 – June 24, 2013|
|Volumes||12 + 1 special volume|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Hiro Kaburaki|
|Written by||Noboru Takagi|
|Music by||Masato Nakayama|
|Original network||TV Tokyo, TVO, TVh, TSC, TVA, TVQ|
|Original run||October 1, 2012 – December 24, 2012|
|Episodes||13 + OVA|
My Little Monster (Japanese: となりの怪物くん? Hepburn: Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, lit. "The Monster Sitting Beside Me") is a Japanese manga written and illustrated by Robico about the relationship between a girl named Shizuku Mizutani and a boy named Haru Yoshida. It was serialized in Kodansha's Dessert magazine from August 23, 2008 to June 24, 2013. An anime adaptation by Brain's Base aired from October 1 to December 24, 2012. It was also simulcast on Crunchyroll.
My Little Monster focuses on the relationship between Shizuku Mizutani, who has absolutely no interests except in studying and her plans for the future, and a boy named Haru Yoshida, who sits next to Shizuku in class but rarely attends school. After Shizuku is tasked with delivering class printouts to Haru's home, she meets Haru, who immediately greets her as a friend, starting their new relationship. Nicknamed "dry ice," Shizuku is renowned as a girl who is emotionless and cold. However, when she met Haru she was touched by his innocence and his lack of knowledge towards human relationships. Though known as a violent and uncontrollable monster, Haru is actually kind and gentle. Haru immediately declares his love towards Shizuku, but it takes much longer for Shizuku to realize and accept her own feelings towards Haru. Together, as two previously unsocial beings, they help each other learn how to care for others and make friends.
- Shizuku Mizutani (水谷 雫? Mizutani Shizuku)
- Voiced by: Mariya Ise (drama CD), Haruka Tomatsu (anime)
- Shizuku is the main protagonist of the series and a high school girl who focuses all her time on academics so that she can have a future career with a 10 million yen annual income.Ch. 1 She has considered cold by many for her no-nonsense and blunt attitude, and has no friends, but after encountering Haru, she starts expressing more of her emotions, standing up to situations that seem wrong like when Haru had been used by his alleged friends for money. Although she is bothered by Haru and his antics, some of which are romantic gestures towards her, she develops feelings for him. She is proud of being number one in her class, but after meeting Haru, whom she thought would be her academic rival, she no longer enjoys the thrill of topping that list. Classmate Asako Natsume calls her "Mitty" (ミッティ? Mitti) and becomes her first female friend.Vol. 1
- Throughout the story, Shizuku often questions why she is attracted to Haru and likes him so much. In the manga, she admits to Haru that she was jealous of his personality and that he will never understand her feelings. When Haru runs away, she blames herself for it. However, when he returns, he offers for her to explain to him her feelings. Later, Haru tells her that he is going away for a year and wouldn't be back until next spring. Nevertheless, she stills remains faithful to Haru and continues on with her life. She lets Natsume do her makeup for her. At the end of the manga, she marries Haru and has a legal agency.
- Haru Yoshida (吉田 春? Yoshida Haru)
- Voiced by: Kenichi Suzumura (drama CD), Tatsuhisa Suzuki (anime)
- Haru, the title character, has a reputation of being a trouble maker, having been suspended from school for getting in a scuffle with schoolmates, and staying away from school even after the suspension was lifted. When he meets Shizuku, the first schoolmate to ever do something for him, he immediately considers her his first real friend and does many antics to be with her, following her around at school, and pulling her away from her routine life. He tells her that he likes her and might even be in love with her, which often flusters Shizuku. He has a spontaneous and carefree personality and often takes his frustrations out physically on other people. Academically, he is very smart, having entered high school as the top-ranked student but skipping out on the entrance ceremony,Ch. 2 and having studied most of the high school curriculum while he was sitting out most of middle school.Ch. 7 He has a rooster named Nagoya, later bringing and housing it in school (with the reluctant approval from his teacher).Vol. 1
- Later on, he and Shizuku end up in different classes for their second-year of high school, but this does not change their romantic intimacy. He is also feared by his teacher, Saeko, and is always frustrated by her interference in his activities. His father is pretty famous and rich, but Haru hates him. He helps Shizuku over come her fear of talking to her mother. He runs away for two weeks because he thought that he wasn't needed. Haru goes away to another school, but later comes back and marries Shizuku.
- Asako Natsume (夏目 あさ子? Natsume Asako)
- Voiced by: Yuiko Tatsumi (drama CD), Atsumi Tanezaki (anime)
- Natsume is Shizuku and Haru's classmate. She is very good-looking to the boys, but has poor grades and, prior to meeting Shizuku and Haru, did not have any friends except perhaps some people from an online community. She initially asks Shizuku to help her study for a make-up exam and so she can attend a real-life meeting with that community; however, the meeting turns out to be a disappointment as only the guys wanted to talk with her, so she unsubscribes from it and joins a new online blog group where she posts how she became friends with "Mitty" (Shizuku).Ch. 3
- Sōhei Sasahara (佐々原 宗平? Sasahara Sōhei)
- Voiced by: Nobuhiko Okamoto (drama CD), Ryōta Ōsaka (anime)
- Sasahara is Shizuku and Haru's classmate. He is a popular boy in the baseball club who goes by the nickname "Sasayan" (ササヤン?). He cares about Haru, and does not want a repeat of what happened in middle school where Haru stopped coming to school.Vol. 1
- Mitsuyoshi Misawa (三沢 満善? Misawa Mitsuyoshi)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Ono (drama CD), Tomoyuki Higuchi (anime)
- Haru's cousin, nicknamed "Mitchan" (みっちゃん? Micchan), who runs a batting cage center. He looks after Haru since his place is near Haru's school.Ch. 1, 6
- Kenji Yamaguchi (山口 賢二? Yamaguchi Kenji)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Namikawa (drama CD), Takuma Terashima (anime)
- Although he initially uses Haru for money, Kenji becomes one of Haru's friends.Vol. 1 He attends the same cram school with Shizuku. Initially, he finds Shizuku strange but gradually falls in love with her and tries to win her affection. After being rejected by Shizuku, he distances himself from her despite his unchanged feelings. Later in the manga, after Haru runs away, he confesses to Shizuku that he likes her once more and says to her that he'll never make her worry. Shizuku considers this but later tells him that she cannot return his love. Later on, they mutually become friends. He also appears to have a poor sense of direction. His peers call him "Yamaken" (やまけん?).
- Yuzan Yoshida (吉田 優山? Yoshida Yūzan)
- Voiced by: Yūki Kaji (drama CD), Yūichi Nakamura (anime)
- Haru's older brother, whom Haru seems to dislike and tries to avoid. At first, he tells Shizuku that he has come to take Haru home upon their father's request, but after seeing that Haru attends school because of Shizuku, he agrees to let him stay. He is popular with the girls.Vol. 2
- Chizuru Oshima (大島 千づる? Ōshima Chizuru)
- Voiced by: Saori Hayami (drama CD), Kana Hanazawa (anime)
- Chizuru is a glasses-wearing class representative who was helped by Haru after he beat up an upperclassman who was bullying her.Ch. 6 She is very shy, a little pessimistic and anxious, and even though she likes Haru, she usually finds herself giving him advice about his relationship with Shizuku.Ch. 7 Before starting high school, she was out for a week, and was unable to make friends when she came back. However, many of the boys find her cute.Ch. 8
- Yū Miyama (宮間 ユウ? Miyama Yū)
- Voiced by: Kana Asumi (drama CD), Sayuri Yahagi (anime)
- She is Chizuru's friend from middle school. She had met her boyfriend in middle school and accepted his confession the day he was about to move to another school. Although they don't see each other too often, they go on "dates" by playing MMOs together. She's proudly stated that she and her boyfriend have great teamwork.
- Iyo Yamaguchi (山口 伊代? Yamaguchi Iyo)
- Voiced by: Yū Kobayashi (drama CD)
- Iyo is a first year attending the same school as Shizuku and Haru and is Kenji's younger sister. She is very aware of her good looks and uses it to prove a point sometimes. She falls in love with Haru, immediately thinking of him as "cool" upon first meeting. Iyo refers to herself in third person and is rather vain by comparing the superiorty of superficial appearance between Shizuku and herself, as well as thinking all boys have feelings for her. Though she gets jealous, she knows to sometimes hold back and doesn't hate or dislike Shizuku personally. Later, she goes on a date with Yuzan, in which her brother drags her away and yells at her for her "terrible taste in men." She is scared of her older brother and his friends and is usually left behind. She doesn't know that her brother likes Shizuku, but knows that he is in love with someone and got rejected. She wishes for her and her brother to find love with someone who wouldn't reject them.
- Takashi Mizutani (水谷 隆司? Mizutani Takashi)
- Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu
- Shizuku's father. He is usually the one from Shizuku's family who has taken good care of her ever since her mother left the family. Shizuku's mother never really had the chance to take care of her daughter because Takashi is a "failure with work". Thus, Shizuku's mother had to work and never had much time to spend with Shizuku. Shizuku's mother often calls him "that man" or "that failure of a father/man".
- Takaya Mizutani (水谷 隆也? Mizutani Takaya)
- Voiced by: Ayumu Murase
- Shizuku's little brother who has the same face as his sister and is mostly quiet. However, in the last chapter of the manga, he's in high school and is taller than many of the characters. He loves his sister greatly because she takes such great care of their family. He shares his love for sweets with Yuzan. It is also stated that he was in love with Chizuru in middle school as well as in high school when she was a student teacher, but later stopped pursuing her when Chizuru admitted that she had a boyfriend. They later unite at Shizuku and Haru's wedding, where Takaya confesses his love for Chizuru and claims that he won't give up.
- Yoshino Mizutani (水谷 吉野? Mizutani Yoshino)
- Shizuku's mother. She is not displayed much in the anime. She is a hard working women and supports her family. She often never sees her family due to work. When it was Shizuku's birthday, she couldn't make it due to a storm. Shizuku, though used to it, is always disappointed. Later, with Haru's help, Shizuku starts talking to her mother more on the phone and asks her for advice.
The manga series is written and illustrated by Robico and published in the Kodansha magazine Dessert. It was serialized between the September 2008 issue, published on August 23, 2008, and the August 2013 issue, published on June 24, 2013. The series has also been released as 13 tankōbon volumes between January 13, 2009, and August 12, 2013. A limited edition version of the final volume was bundled with an OVA episode of the anime series on DVD. The series has been licensed in North America by Kodansha Comics USA, who released the first volume on March 11, 2014, with five volumes released as of November 18, 2014.[needs update] A spin-off manga series was published in Dessert between August 24 and November 22, 2013. Its chapters were collected in a 13th volume, released on January 10, 2014.
|No.||Japanese release date||Japanese ISBN||English release date||English ISBN|
|1||January 13, 2009||ISBN 978-4-06-365540-7||March 11, 2014||ISBN 978-1-61262-597-3|
|High school student ace Shizuku Mizutani has been studying hard so she can have a well-paying career in the future. When she brings school printouts to Haru Yoshida, a classmate who has not been attending since being suspended earlier in the year, but is surprised when he runs away. However, he comes back and pulls her aside multiple times for activities such as playing with animals or eating out, and asks her if school is fun. Seeing Shizuku as his new friend, he returns to school, sits next to her in class, and hangs out with her. Shizuku confronts Haru about being tricked by a group of guys who only hang out with him because he gives them money. Classmate Asako Natsume asks Shizuku to tutor her so she can pass the make-up exam and meet some friends that she knows from an Internet group. Shizuku finds that she is thinking of Haru a lot more. She confesses her love to him, but soon waffles on the statement. When Haru states his love for her may be different, she vows to win him over in a different way. Haru, Asako, Shizuku, and classmate Sōhei "Sasayan" Sasahara get parts to make a home for Haru's pet chicken Yoshida, but get into trouble when they run into Haru's former money-extorting friends.|
|2||June 12, 2009||ISBN 978-4-06-365555-1||May 27, 2014||ISBN 978-1-61262-598-0|
|When Haru discovers his brother Yuzan is visiting, he stays over at Shizuku's house. At school, Shizuku notices Haru scares people with his glaring, so she suggests he act more friendly and smile, which soon makes him really popular with the girls. Haru saves the shy class representative Chizuru Oshima from being bullied by some seniors. Haru and Asako take Shizuku to the beach. Later, Haru's cousin Mitchan and Sasayan take the group to go fishing. Shizuku meets Yuzan, who wants Haru to return to their home instead of staying at Mitchan's, but after seeing that Haru is actually attending school because of Shizuku, he leaves Haru in her care. When the gang try to brainstorm ways to make Chizuru more social, Haru and Shizuku start arguing and then ignore each other. Although Chizuru is attracted to Haru, when she sees he and Shizuku are stlil on bad terms, she decides she has had enough and yells at them to stop behaving like that.|
|3||October 13, 2009||ISBN 978-4-06-365575-9||July 29, 2014||ISBN 978-1-61262-599-7|
|4||February 12, 2010||ISBN 978-4-06-365590-2||September 16, 2014||ISBN 978-1-61262-600-0|
|5||July 13, 2010||ISBN 978-4-06-365613-8||November 18, 2014||ISBN 978-1-61262-601-7|
|6||December 13, 2010||ISBN 978-4-06-365632-9||January 20, 2015||ISBN 978-1-61262-800-4|
|7||May 13, 2011||ISBN 978-4-06-365650-3||March 17, 2015||ISBN 978-1-61262-991-9|
|8||October 13, 2011||ISBN 978-4-06-365668-8||May 19, 2015||ISBN 978-1-61262-992-6|
|9||March 13, 2012||ISBN 978-4-06-365685-5||July 21, 2015||ISBN 978-1-61262-993-3|
|10||August 10, 2012||ISBN 978-4-06-365701-2||September 8, 2015||ISBN 978-1-63236-106-6|
|11||January 11, 2013||ISBN 978-4-06-365717-3||November 10, 2015||ISBN 978-1-63236-108-0|
|12||August 10, 2013 (limited edition)
August 12, 2013 (regular edition)
|ISBN 978-4-06-358451-6 (limited edition)
ISBN 978-4-06-365739-5 (regular edition)
|January 26, 2016||ISBN 978-1-63236-127-1|
|13||January 10, 2014||ISBN 978-4-06-365755-5||March 29, 2016||ISBN 978-1-63236-208-7|
An anime adaptation was announced in the July 2012 issue of Kodansha's Dessert magazine. The series was produced by Brain's Base under the direction of Hiro Kaburaki with Noboru Takagi as script supervisor. It aired between October 1 and December 24, 2012. An OVA episode was released on DVD with the final manga volume on August 12, 2013. NIS America licensed the anime for release in North America. The opening theme is "Q&A Recital!" (Q&Aリサイタル！?) by Haruka Tomatsu and the ending theme is "White Wishes" by 9nine.
- となりの怪物くん(1) (デザートコミックス) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- となりの怪物くん(12) (デザートコミックス) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- となりの怪物くん 12 (デザートコミックス) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- ろびこ「となりの怪物くん」次号で最終回、5年の連載に幕 (in Japanese). Natalie.mu. May 24, 2013. Retrieved May 27, 2013.
- "Kodansha USA Adds xxxHOLiC Rei, My Little Monster, Say "I Love You", Monster Soul". Anime News Network. July 18, 2013. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- "My Little Monster 1". Random House. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "My Little Monster 5". Random House. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "My Little Monster Spinoff Manga to Launch in August". Anime News Network. June 24, 2013. Retrieved June 25, 2013.
- となりの怪物くん番外編も完結！ろびこイラスト集発売決定 (in Japanese). Natalie.mu. November 22, 2013. Retrieved March 13, 2014.
- となりの怪物くん(13) <完> (デザートコミックス) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- となりの怪物くん(2) (デザートコミックス) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "My Little Monster 2". Random House. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- となりの怪物くん(3) (デザートコミックス) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "My Little Monster 3". Random House. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- となりの怪物くん(4) (デザートコミックス) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "My Little Monster 4". Random House. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- となりの怪物くん(5) (デザートコミックス) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- となりの怪物くん(6) (デザートコミックス) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "My Little Monster 6". Random House. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- となりの怪物くん(7) (デザートコミックス) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "My Little Monster 7". Random House. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- となりの怪物くん(8) (デザートコミックス) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "My Little Monster 8". Random House. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- となりの怪物くん(9) (デザートコミックス) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "My Little Monster 9". Random House. Retrieved November 26, 2014.
- となりの怪物くん(10) (デザートコミックス) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "My Little Monster 10". Random House. Retrieved March 1, 2015.
- となりの怪物くん(11) (デザートコミックス) (in Japanese). Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved August 17, 2013.
- "My Little Monster 11". Random House. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- "My Little Monster 12". Random House. Retrieved February 5, 2016.
- "Robico's Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Shōjo Manga Gets Anime". Anime News Network. May 22, 2012. Retrieved September 26, 2012.
- "Staff & Cast" (in Japanese). Official website. Retrieved September 26, 2012.
- "Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Manga to End in 12th Volume". Anime News Network. January 12, 2013. Retrieved May 8, 2013.
- "NIS America Acquires My Little Monster Anime Series". The Fandom Post. February 27, 2015. Retrieved March 1, 2015.
- "Crunchyroll to Stream My Little Monster/Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (Updated)". Anime News Network. October 1, 2012. Retrieved May 8, 2013.