Tonga High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Tonga High School|
|Motto||Ki He Lelei Taha
To The Best
|Age||11 to 18|
|Medium of language||English|
Tonga High School was established in 1947 by Prince Tungi, the Minister of Education. Prince Tungi later became King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV, the late King of Tonga (July 1918 to September 2006). The aim of the school is to provide an opportunity for students to achieve a level of education equivalent to that offered in neighbouring countries such as New Zealand and Australia.
The school is situated in Tonga's capital, Nukuʻalofa. The current school buildings were constructed with assistance from the Chinese Government. The buildings were officially opened on 2 July 2005. The facilities include 34 classrooms and 18 laboratories and can accommodate over a thousand students. A planned second phase of construction was due to begin in 2009 with the building of a gymnasium, swimming pool and a sports stadium.
Entry to Form 1 is restricted to those achieving the highest marks in national examinations taken by pupils in their last year of primary school.
There were 1,154 students enrolled at the school in 2005. Students can be members of four houses: Nua (Yellow), Kava (Red), Sangone (Blue) and Tele'a (Green).
The Current Principal for Tonga High School is Mrs 'Amelia Fuko Folaumahina, Current Deputy Principals are Mrs Losana Latu and Mr 'Enesi Vatuvei. Current Senior Tutor is Mr Saipalesi Unu and Current Senior Mistress is Mrs 'Ilaisaane Mafi Latunipulu and Current School Chaplain is Rev Penisimani 'Akauola Tonga. Tonga high school has a brass band.
- Sosefo Fe‘aomoeata Vakata - Tongan politician
- Afuʻalo Matoto - Tongan politician
- Sialeʻataongo Tuʻivakanō - Tongan politician
- Viliami Latu - Tongan politician
- Pita Taufatofua - Australian taekwondo practitioner
- Clive Edwards (politician) - former Tongan Cabinet Minister
- Rev. Samisoni Fonomanu Tu'i'afitu - Tongan nobleman, Member of Parliament
- Dr. Futa Helu - founding classmember and Tongan philosopher, historian, educator, and founder of 'Atenisi University
- Sound files of Tonga New Zealand 1950, Andrew Afeaki, www.decisionmaker.co.nz/.../pacific citizens
- "Address on occasion of the Commissioning Ceremony of new buildings for Tonga High School by HE Chinese Ambassador Mr. Gao Shanbai (2 July 2005), http://to2.mofcom.gov.cn/article/chinanews/2005
- (Radio New Zealand International, 12 Set 2005)