|Born||February 3, 1996|
Morant Bay, Jamaica
|Education||Florida State University|
|Height||1.67 m (5 ft 6 in)|
|Title||Miss Jamaica World 2019|
Miss World 2019
|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Miss Jamaica World 2019|
Miss World 2019
Toni-Ann Singh (born February 3, 1996) is a Jamaican-American singer and beauty queen who won Miss World 2019. She was previously crowned Miss Jamaica World 2019 and is the fourth woman from Jamaica to win Miss World.
Early life and education
The family immigrated to the United States when Singh was aged nine, settling in Florida. She attended Florida State University in Tallahassee, where she graduated with a degree in women's studies and psychology.[better source needed]
Miss Jamaica World 2019
Miss World 2019
Singh left for London in November 2019, to participate in the Miss World pre-pageant activities. Singh placed in the top 40 of the Top Model competition and won the talent competition, which granted her direct entry into the top 40 semifinals. Finals night was held on 14 December at ExCeL London, where Singh advanced from the top 40 to the top 12, and ultimately to the top five.
During the top 5 question and answer round, she was asked by Piers Morgan - “Why should you win the title of Miss World 2019?” Toni went onto answer the question by saying:
"I think I represent something special...a generation of women who are pushing forward to change the world. I don't consider myself better than any other girls on the stage, but I will say that my passion for women and making sure that they have had the same opportunities that I have had, is something that sets me apart."
She was subsequently asked, “Who is the most inspiring woman in the world for you?” to which she expressed:
"The most inspiring woman to me is my mother. Now I must say, if my mother and my father are the roots, and I'm the tree, then really, any work that I do, anything that I'm able to change in the world...It is the fruits of their labor and I watched her pour everything into me, even at the sacrifice of her own wants and her needs, and that's why I am able to sit before you today."
At the end of the event, she was eventually crowned as Miss World 2019 by the outgoing title holder Vanessa Ponce of Mexico, besting first runner-up Ophély Mézino of France and second runner-up Suman Rao of India.
With her win, Singh became the fourth Jamaican woman to hold the title, with the last being Lisa Hanna who was crowned Miss World 1993, and the first black woman to win Miss World since Agbani Darego of Nigeria won Miss World 2001. Her win also made 2019 the first ever year that black women won the two of the Big Four most prestigious beauty pageant titles in the world, after Zozibini Tunzi became South Africa's first black woman to have won the Miss Universe title.
- Tusing, David (15 December 2019). "Who is Miss World 2019 Toni-Ann Singh?". Gulf News. Retrieved 16 December 2019.
- "Toni-Ann Singh, Miss World 2019: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know". Heavy. 14 December 2019. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "Jamaica". Miss World. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "Jamaica's Toni-Ann Singh is Miss World 2019". Rappler. 14 December 2019. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "Toni-Ann Singh's winning answers that earned her the Miss World 2019 crown". GMA News. 15 December 2019. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- "Miss World 2019 winner is Miss Jamaica Tony-Ann Singh, India's Suman Rao is second runner-up". India Today. 14 December 2019. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "Miss Jamaica crowned Miss World 2019 in London". Jamaica Observer. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- Nambiar, Prerna (14 December 2019). "Miss World 2019: Toni-Ann Singh from Jamaica takes home the crown". Meaww.com. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- Coetzee, Nikita (14 December 2019). "Jamaica's Toni-Ann Singh crowned Miss World 2019". Channel 24. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "Miss Jamaica crowned Miss World 2019". 15 December 2019. Retrieved 16 December 2019.
- Zaveri, Mihir (15 December 2019). "Black Women Now Hold Crowns in 5 Major Beauty Pageants". The New York Times. Retrieved 16 December 2019.
|Awards and achievements|
| Miss World
| Miss Jamaica World