This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Martínez at the 2015 SBS Cup
|Full name||Antonio Martínez López|
|Date of birth||30 June 1997|
|Place of birth||Barrio del Progreso, Spain|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Lugo (on loan from West Ham United)|
|2016–||West Ham United||0||(0)|
|2017||→ Oxford United (loan)||15||(1)|
|2018||→ Valladolid (loan)||10||(1)|
|2018–2019||→ Rayo Majadahonda (loan)||13||(2)|
|2019–||→ Lugo (loan)||11||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:41, 29 April 2019 (UTC)|
Antonio Martínez López (Spanish pronunciation: [anˈtonjo maɾˈtineθ ˈlopeθ]; born 30 June 1997), known as Toni Martínez [ˈtoni-]; , is a Spanish professional footballer who plays as a forward for CD Lugo, on loan from Premier League club West Ham United. He has represented Spain at under-17 and under-19 level.
Born in Barrio del Progreso, Murcia, Martínez began his footballing career with local side C.F.S. El Progreso and later joined Real Murcia. In 2013, he signed for Valencia. Initially a member of the club's academy Cadete A team (for players aged 14–15 years), Martínez was soon admitted to their reserve side, Valencia Mestalla (Valencia B). He made his senior debut in the Segunda División B (third tier) at the age of 16, coming on as a substitute and scoring in a match against AE Prat on 8 December 2013.
In three seasons at Valencia Mestalla he played 16 games and scored two goals, and made a further eight appearances, a goal and three assists for the club's under-19 squad in the UEFA Youth League.
West Ham United
In April 2016, Martínez agreed a three-year deal to join English club West Ham United on 1 July 2016 for a fee of around £2.4 million. He was given permission to train with his new teammates by Valencia to help him settle in England and would initially link up with West Ham United's development squad. Martínez was given the number 29 shirt for the 2016–17 season.
He marked his Premier League 2 debut with a goal against Stoke City, in a 3–0 home win. After scoring seven goals in as many games for West Ham United U23 during the first half of the season, he suffered two injury set-backs; the first left him sidelined for six weeks with the player due to return to action on 21 November, but then suffered another injury. His prolific goal-scoring feats continued into January and before long he had racked up a total of 12 goals from 11 games.
Oxford United (loan)
On 23 January 2017, he was sent out on loan for the first time in his career, to League One side Oxford United until the end of the 2016–17 season. The player was handed the number 7 shirt by the club. On 28 January, Martínez came on as a substitute to score his first goal for the League One side in a 3–0 home win over Newcastle United in the fourth round of the FA Cup. He made his League One debut in an away fixture against local rivals Swindon Town, a game which Oxford won 2–1, and scored his first league goal, a late consolation goal in a 3–2 home defeat at the hands of league leaders Sheffield United, on 7 March.
Return to West Ham
Real Valladolid (loan)
On 1 February 2018, it was announced that Martínez had made a deadline day loan switch to Spanish club Real Valladolid for the remainder of the 2017–18 season. He contributed with one goal in ten appearances, as his side achieved promotion to La Liga in the play-offs.
Rayo Majadahonda (loan)
On 13 August 2018, Martínez joined CF Rayo Majadahonda still in the Segunda División, on loan for the season. He made his debut for Majadahonda on the opening weekend of the season, on 19 August against Real Zaragoza, Majadahonda's first game at this level. He was introduced as a second-half substitute, replacing French midfielder Enzo. He marked his debut, and secured his place in Majadahonda's history books, with the club's first goal in the Segunda División. The match finished in a 2–1 defeat.
On 18 January 2019, Martínez rescinded his loan deal with Majadahonda and moved to fellow second division team CD Lugo, on loan until June. On his debut eight days later, he scored the opener in a 3–2 home win against his former club.
- As of match played 20 April 2019
|Club||Season||League||National Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|Valencia Mestalla||2013–14||Segunda División B||5||1||—||5||1|
|West Ham United||2016–17||Premier League||0||0||0||0||0||0||—||0||0|
|West Ham United U-23s||2016–17||—||1[a]||2||1||2|
|Oxford United (loan)||2016–17||League One||15||1||2||2||0||0||0||0||17||3|
|Real Valladolid (loan)||2017–18||Segunda División||10||1||0||0||—||1[b]||0||11||1|
|Rayo Majadahonda (loan)||2018–19||16||2||2||0||—||—||18||2|
|CD Lugo (loan)||2018–19||11||1||—||—||—||11||1|
- "Updated squads for 2017/18 Premier League confirmed". Premier League. 2 February 2018. Retrieved 18 February 2018.
- "Antonio Martínez". Premier League. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- "Antonio Martinez". West Ham United F.C. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- Rubio, Alberto (18 February 2017). "El 'doctorado' de Toni Martínez en Oxford". Marca (in Spanish). Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "El año de Toni Martínez" (in Spanish). Diario de Mestalla. 14 June 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "Antonio Martínez". UEFA. 1 April 2016. Archived from the original on 21 August 2017. Retrieved 12 May 2016.
- "Toni Martinez: West Ham sign teenage Valencia striker". BBC Sport. 22 April 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "2016/17 squad numbers confirmed". West Ham United F.C. 3 August 2016. Retrieved 6 August 2016.
- Long, Sam (20 December 2016). "12 goals in 11 appearances: West Ham's Martinez in 'frightening form'". London Evening Standard. Retrieved 9 April 2017.
- "Oxford Sign West Ham Striker Martinez". Oxford United F.C. 23 January 2017. Retrieved 23 January 2017.
- "Oxford United 3 – 0 Newcastle United". The Football Association. 28 January 2017. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- "Swindon Town 1–2 Oxford United". BBC Sport. 5 February 2017. Retrieved 5 February 2017.
- "Oxford Utd 2–3 Sheffield Utd". BBC Sport. 7 March 2017. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "Shrewsbury Town 0–0 West Ham". BBC Sport. 7 January 2018. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- "Toni Martínez apuntala la vanguardia" [Toni Martínez bolsters the forward lines] (in Spanish). Real Valladolid. 1 February 2018. Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- "Martinez signs loan at Rayo Majadahonda". West Ham United F.C. 13 August 2018. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Real Zaragoza vs. Rayo Majadahonda - 19 August 2018". Soccerway. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Martinez links up with La Liga 2 outfit Lugo on loan". West Ham United F.C. 18 January 2019. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Loan round-up: Martinez scores on Lugo debut". West Ham United F.C. 26 January 2019. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- T. Martínez at Soccerway. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Games played by Toni Martínez in 2017/2018". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 11 October 2017.