Tonight (Jonas Brothers song)
iTunes release cover
|Single by Jonas Brothers|
|from the album A Little Bit Longer|
|Released||July 29, 2008 (Digital Download)
February 17, 2009 (Radio Single)
|Genre||Pop rock, teen pop|
|Writer(s)||Nick Jonas, Joe Jonas, Kevin Jonas, Greg Garbowsky|
|Producer(s)||John Fields |
|Jonas Brothers singles chronology|
"Tonight" is the third single by the American pop band Jonas Brothers from their third studio album, A Little Bit Longer. Fueled by digital downloads, the song debuted and peaked at #8 on the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart on August 7, 2008, the group's second (and final) top ten single and second highest charting single to date (after their top five single Burnin' Up). The song also reached the top twenty in Canada.
The song's official single release was confirmed at the 36th Annual American Music Awards. They also performed the song later that night during the show. They have confirmed that filming for the music video is complete and it will be sent to mainstream radio in early January. The song was released on January 4, 2009 and the music video was released on January 19, 2009.
Background and composition
A 20 second sample of "Tonight" by Jonas Brothers, where a portion of the chorus is heard.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
According to the band's iTunes podcast, Jonas Brothers Countdown to A Little Bit Longer, Nick Jonas stated that:
"This song is about being in a relationship with somebody and getting into arguments that will not work out that night. It's also one of my favorite songs on the album."
The music video for "Tonight," was directed by Bruce Hendricks, director of Walt Disney Studios' Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience. It contains scenes from the 3D movie, including concert and backstage footage along with interaction with fans.
- "Tonight" (Timbaland Remix)"Tonight" was remixed by Timbaland in 2009 for a special download through Verizon phones.
- "I Gotta Feeling/Tonight" (played on the 2009 World Tour with a mix of I Gotta Feeling of The Black Eyed Peas)
- Nick Jonas - Lead Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Composer
- Joe Jonas - Lead Vocals, Guitar, Composer
- Kevin Jonas - Backing Vocals, Guitar, Composer
- John Taylor - Backing Vocals, Guitar
- Greg Garbowsky - Composer
- John Fields - Producer
With over 131,000 downloads in its initial week of release, "Tonight" was the highest debuting song on the Billboard Hot 100 in the issue dated August 16, 2008, coming in at number 8, without an official single release. The Jonas Brothers became the first act to have two songs debut in the top ten on the chart in the same calendar year since Madonna achieved the feat in 1998. The following week, "Tonight" fell to number 74. It premiered during the Kids Inaugural: We Are The Future on Disney Channel on January 19, 2009.
The song re-entered the Billboard Hot 100 at #89 on February 26, 2009 on the back of promotion for the upcoming Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience. Then it gained 18 spots to number 71.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||13|
|US Billboard Hot 100||8|
|U.S. Billboard Pop 100||22|
Nick Jonas & the Administration version
|Song by Nick Jonas & the Administration from the album Who I Am|
|Recorded||2009; Blackbird Studio's, Nashville, Tennessee|
|Genre||Pop rock, soft rock|
|Writer||Nick Jonas, Joe Jonas, Kevin Jonas, Greg Garbowsky|
|Who I Am track listing|
Nick covered the song for his side-project Nick Jonas & the Administration. The new version of the song appeared on their debut album Who I Am. On May 11th, 2010 it the song was used on the live album: Nick Jonas & The Administration Live at the Wiltern January 28th, 2010.
- "Tonight" (Single Version, No Party) - 4:19
- "Tonight" (Live) - 5:47 
- "Tonight"(acoustic) - 3:37 
There was no official music video of the Administration version of the song. However, on the Limited Edition DVD there was a video of Nick Jonas & The Administration performing the song Tonight. The video was shot in Black & White.
They performed the new version of the song live for the first time during the Who I Am Tour.
They performed on January 30, 2010 an acoustic version of the song during Radio Disney Total Access.
- Nick Jonas - Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar, Composer
- Tommy Barbarella - Keyboards
- Michael Bland - Drums, Vibraphone, Vocals
- Sonny Thompson -Guitars, Vocals (on DVD Who I Am, and live performances)
- John Fields - Bass, Guitars, Percussion, Vibraphone, Producer
- David Ryan Harris - Guitars, Vocals (on CD Who I Am)
- Joe Jonas - Composer
- Kevin Jonas - Composer
- Greg Garbowsky - Composer
- Dave McNair - Mastering
- Jon Lind - A&R
- David Snow - Creative Director
- Paul David Hager - Mixing
- Philip McIntyre - Management
- Johnny Wright - Management
- Kevin Jonas SR. - Management
|Germany||January 29, 2010||Digital download||Hollywood Records|
|United States||February 2, 2010|
- "Jonas Brothers' fame is burning hot". Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- Tonight by The Jonas Brothers, Songfacts.com
- Ken Barnes, Listen Up: Jonas Brothers get a 'Little Bit' stronger, USA Today, August 12, 2008
- Glenn Gamboa, Review: Jonas Brothers' 'A Little Bit Longer', Newsday, August 12, 2008
- The Billboard Hot 100 Chart Listing For The Week Of August 23, 2008, Billboard.com
- "Jonas Brothers – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Jonas Brothers. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- "Jonas Brothers – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Jonas Brothers. Retrieved November 5, 2014.
- "Nick Jonas WHO I AM Track By Track". Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Nick Jonas & The Administration Live at the Wiltern January 28th, 2010". Last.fm. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Nick Jonas TONIGHT LIVE ACOUSTIC". Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Nick Jonas Radio Disney TOTAL ACCESS". Retrieved 5 November 2014.