Tonight We Sing
|Tonight We Sing|
|Directed by||Mitchell Leisen|
|Produced by||George Jessel|
|Starring||David Wayne |
|Edited by||Dorothy Spencer|
|Music by||Alfred Newman|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|January 26, 1953|
Tonight We Sing is a 1953 American musical biopic film directed by Mitchell Leisen and starring David Wayne, Ezio Pinza and Roberta Peters. It is based on the life and career of the celebrated impresario Sol Hurok.
The film is based on the 1946 book Impresario, an autobiography written by Sol Hurok with the help of Ruth Goode, who once served as Hurok's press agent. The film credits Hurok as technical advisor.
- David Wayne as Sol Hurok
- Ezio Pinza as Feodor Chaliapin
- Roberta Peters as Elsa Valdine
- Anne Bancroft as Emma Hurok
- Tamara Toumanova as Anna Pavlova
- Isaac Stern as Eugène Ysaÿe
- Byron Palmer as Gregory Lawrence
- Jan Peerce as Gregory Lawrence's singing voice
- Oskar Karlweis as Benjamin Golder
- Mikhail Rasumny as Nicolai
- Steven Geray as Prager
- Walter Woolf King as Gritti
- Lela Bliss as Mrs. Granek
- Harry Hayden as Mr. Granek
- Oscar Beregi as Dr. Markoff
- Isabel Withers as Emma's Maid
- Dudley Dickerson as Porter
- George E. Stone as Impresario
The film features performances of works from classical composers: Chopin, Gounod, Kreisler, Leoncavallo, Mussorgsky, Puccini, Rubinstein, Saint-Saëns, Sarasate, Verdi and Wieniawski. The film includes opera arias, duets and staged scenes from the operas: Boris Goudonov, Faust, Madama Butterfly, and La Traviata. Tamara Toumanova, in her role as Pavlova, performs in three ballet scenes within the film.
- "Tonight We Sing (1953) - Mitchell Leisen - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". AllMovie. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- Whitman, Alden (March 6, 1974). "Sol Hurok, the Impresario, Dies at 85". New York Times. Retrieved April 12, 2019.