Tony Award for Best Musical
|Tony Award for
|Awarded for||Best Musical|
|Location||New York City|
|Country||United States of America|
|Presented by||American Theatre Wing The Broadway League|
|Currently held by||Hamilton (2016)|
The Tony Awards are yearly awards that recognize achievement in live Broadway theatre. The award for Best Musical is one of the ceremony's longest-standing awards, having been presented each year since 1949. The awards goes to the producers of the musical. This is a list of winners and nominations for the Tony Award for Best Musical.
Winners and nominees
† marks winners of the annual Pulitzer Prize for Drama.
3rd Tony Awards
|Kiss Me, Kate||Samuel and Bella Spewack||Cole Porter|
Accumulated records as of 2016:
- Hamilton holds the record as the most-nominated production in Tony history, with 16 nominations. The Producers is the most-winning show, triumphing in 12 categories including Best Musical.
- The Sound of Music and Fiorello! are the only two musicals to date to have ever tied for the Best Musical award (in 1960).
- Passion is the shortest-running winner, with 280 performances.
- The Phantom of the Opera is the longest-running Best Musical winner, with 16 previews and 12,078 performances as of 5 February 2017.
- Hallelujah, Baby! is the only show thus far to have won the Tony Award for Best Musical after closing.
- Fun Home is the first musical written entirely by women to win the Tony Award as Best Musical.
- Tony Award for Best Revival of a Musical
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Musical
- Laurence Olivier Award for Best New Musical
- List of Tony Award and Olivier Award winning musicals
- "Facts About the Tony Awards". Tony Legacy. The American Theatre Wing. 2016. Retrieved 2016-05-18.
- "Tony Award: Musical". Internet Broadway Database. 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-05.