Anthony John Basgallop (born July 1968) is a British television writer best known for writing Inside Men (2012), What Remains (2013), Servant (2019), and the miniseries To the Ends of the Earth, an adaptation of William Golding's trilogy.
Basgallop wrote an episode of Children's Ward, which aired on ITV. In 1998 he wrote an episode of Casualty, called Toys and Boys, in series 13. The episode was watched by 12.58 million viewers. In 2000, he wrote the crime drama Summer in the Suburbs, which was directed by David Attwood.
Between 1996 and 2001, Basgallop wrote fourteen EastEnders episodes. His first episode aired on 21 October 1996 and last one on 26 February 2001. In 2001, he wrote the first episode of The Residents, and the comedy short It's Not You, It's Me. In 2004, he wrote an episode of Outlaws called The Soft Spot. In 2003 and 2004, he wrote two episodes of Teachers.
Further Career and Golding
He worked again with David Attwood on an adaptation of William Golding's trilogy set on a British sea voyage to Australia. It was known as To the Ends of the Earth (2005). Basgallop worked on three of its episodes after the death of its original writer, Leigh Jackson. Starring Benedict Cumberbatch, the miniseries was nominated for two awards. The first award was the Golden FIPA for TV Series and Serials, and the second was the BAFTA TV Award for Best Drama Serial.
Basgallop wrote the TV movie The Good Housekeeping Guide (2006) and a year later, Confessions of a Diary Secretary (2007). In 2008, he wrote Hughie Green, Most Sincerely for BBC Four. The movie was nominated for the Writers' Guild of Great Britain Award for Short Form TV Drama.
Basgallop was the creator of Hotel Babylon, which first aired in 2006 and ended in 2009. He wrote Moonshot in 2009. In 2010, his episode of Being Human aired. In the same year, the television drama film Worried About the Boy was released, which was written by Basgallop. Rachel Cooke, writing in the New Statesman questioned whether he intended his script to be as funny as it turned out. Basgallop wrote three of the episodes of Sirens on Channel 4, all airing in 2011. In 2012, he wrote Inside Men.
In 2013, he wrote What Remains, which was longlisted for the drama category of the National Television Awards. What Remains was the first whodunit that Basgallop had written; in the past he had avoided detective dramas.
The following year, two episodes of 24: Live Another Day written by Basgallop were broadcast on Fox, beginning his work in the States. He would then return for 24: Legacy in 2017. He has also written for Outcast, the American version of Resurrection and Berlin Station. In April 2016, it was reported that Basgallop was writing a pilot for the sci-fi thriller series Prototype. In August 2016, Deadline Hollywood reported that Syfy had passed on the series. Most recently, Basgallop has been credited as the creator and writer for the series Servant on Apple TV+.
- "Anthony BASGALLOP - Personal Appointments (free information from Companies House)". companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index, 1916–2007
- "BARB Top 30s".
- "William Golding's 'To The Ends of the Earth' – starts Wednesday 6 July at 9.00pm on BBC TWO". BBC. 19 May 2005. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "The price is right". The Guardian. Rodger, Jennifer. 25 November 1999. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Sue Parrill (2009). Nelson's Navy in Fiction and Film: Depictions of British Sea Power in the Napoleonic Era. McFarland. p. 298. ISBN 978-0-7864-5803-5.
- White, Michael (1 March 2007). "Relentlessly coarse and stupid". The Guardian. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- "Hughie Green, Most Sincerely". BBC. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Christian Bosseno (1 May 2010). Télévision française La saison 2010: Une analyse des programmes du 1er septembre 2008 au 31 août 2009. Editions L'Harmattan. p. 233. ISBN 978-2-296-25961-4.
- Alvin H. Marill (11 October 2010). Movies Made for Television: 2005–2009. Scarecrow Press. p. 66. ISBN 978-0-8108-7659-0.
- Vincent Terrace (2010). The Year in Television 2009: A Catalog of New and Continuing Series, Miniseries, Specials and TV Movies. McFarland. p. 116. ISBN 978-0-7864-5644-4.
- "Worried About The Boy – interview with writer Tony Basgallop". BBC. 10 May 2010. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- New Statesman. New Statesman Limited. 2010.
- Conlan, Tara (7 July 2011). "BBC1 drama Inside Men to reunite Luther actors". The Guardian. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Fletcher, Alex (17 September 2013). "National Television Awards 2014 voting opens: The full longlist". Digital Spy. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- "What Remains". BBC. 14 August 2013. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Mitovich, Matt Webb (12 April 2016). "Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Grey's, Bones, Flash, Grimm, Arrow and More!". TVLine. Retrieved 9 February 2021.
- Andreeva, Nellie (11 March 2016). "Cote de Pablo Poised To Star In Syfy Pilot 'Prototype'". Deadline. Retrieved 9 February 2021.
- Andreeva, Nellie (1 August 2016). "'Prototype' Sci-Fi Thriller Drama Pilot Not Going Forward At Syfy, Being Shopped". Deadline. Retrieved 9 February 2021.