|Full name||Tony Chapron|
23 April 1972|
Flers, Orne, France
Born in Flers, Orne, Chapron took up refereeing in 1996 in conjunction with his job as an educational advisor. He had been a full-time referee since 1998 and became an international referee in 2007.
in 2007, a flare thrown by fans at a match between Lyon and Saint-Étienne resulted in police firing tear gas into the crowd, and Chapron ordered the players to retreat to the changing rooms for 20 minutes.
Prior to 2008, the only international matches he had refereed were qualifying matches, but in October 2008, Chapron took charge of the UEFA Cup first round second leg between Aston Villa and Litex Lovech; he showed two yellow cards – both to Litex players – but also awarded Litex a penalty kick. He refereed two more UEFA Cup matches in the 2008–09 season, including the Round of 32 second leg between Hamburg and NEC. In June 2009, Chapron was named as one of six UEFA referees to take charge of the 2009 UEFA Under-21 Championship in Sweden.
On 14 January 2018, during a Ligue 1 match between FC Nantes and Paris Saint-Germain, Chapron appeared to attempt a kick at Nantes player Diego Carlos following a collision, before sending him off for a second yellow card. The next day, Chapron was suspended by the FFF and called to meet a disciplinary committee following the incident. He was suspended for six months, following which he retired as a referee and now works for French media.
- FIFA. "France: Referees". Retrieved on 24 May 2013.
- Vignal, Patrick (3 March 2007). "Soccer-Lyon win derby marred by crowd trouble". Reuters UK. Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 21 June 2009.
- "Referees confirmed for U21 finals". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. 13 June 2009. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- "Rubin Kazan-Panathinaikos". UEFA.com. Union of European Football Associations. 2 November 2010. Retrieved 27 November 2010.
- FIFA. "Match Report – Canada – Rwanda 0:0". 25 June 2011. Retrieved on 24 May 2013.
- FIFA. "Match Report – Latvia – Greece 0:2 (0:1)". 10 September 2008. Retrieved on 24 May 2013.
- "Nantes 0–1 Paris St-Germain". BBC Sport. Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- "Ligue 1 ref stood down after tripping player then sending him off". Football365. Planet Sport. Retrieved 15 January 2018.
- Orsini, Vincent. "Press release of the arbitration technical directorate" (in French). Fédération Française de Football. Retrieved 15 January 2018. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Tony Chapron: French referee gets six-month ban – half of which is suspended". BBC Sport. 1 February 2018. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- "Tony Chapron: The French referee who saw the red mist, on that kick". BBC Sport. 12 November 2018. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Profile at WorldReferee.com