Actor and TV host Tony Cortes
Antonio de Jesus Cortez Espina
August 31, 1968
|Education||Arts (at Instituto Superior de Arte in Havana)|
|Known for||Performing Arts, Journalism|
|Spouse(s)||Leonila Hernández Sánchez|
Mr. Televisión Miami
Premio Internacional "Ambiente"
Antonio de Jesus Cortez Espina (born August 31, 1968 in La Havana, Cuba) is an actor in theater, film and television producer and host of controversial television shows. He resides in Miami, Florida.
Tony Cortes was born and raised in the neighborhood El Vedado in Havana. He began working in the entertainment industry at the age of eight, with the filming of the Cuban movie "Los sobrevivientes" (Survivors).
From that moment on he started doing work in film and television. He studied at the Instituto Superior de Arte in Havana, he founded his own band BM Expresso recorded several CDs and produced for the record label Fania Records with Jerry Masucci and for the record label EGREM.
Tony Cortes appeared in soap operas, serials and other TV shows.
Emmy Award nominations
Tony Cortes was nominated for two Regional Emmy Awards on television as presenter/host in the categories Best Historical Cultural Program News Chapter Robaina and Best News Program in Politics and Government Chapter "Mariel" of the 2011 Emmy Awards Suncoast Chapter.
Sobre mis pasos
The nominations[vague] were a prize to documentary Sobre mis Pasos, a serial -style reality show for the "Maria Elvira Live" Maria Elvira Salazar- aired in the national channel Mega TV (United States) and in which Cortes tells how he is finally allowed to enter Cuba after seven years of absence and not being able to even attend the funeral of his father in December 2009.
Cortes then decides to return to embrace his aged mother, visit the grave of his father and reconnect with all those things that are foreign: his people, his neighborhood and his friends.
This documentary series of ten 10-minute episodes shows the reality of Cuba, the feeling of its people, their daily life and the changes that are currently brewing in the heart of this people.
- El Nuevo Herald (Jul 7, 2011). "Estudio 13: Tony Cortés en Mega TV". El Nuevo Herald (newspaper). Archived from the original on September 15, 2011. Retrieved Nov 11, 2011.(in Spanish)
- El Nuevo Herald (Jan 28, 2011). "Estudio 13: Tony Cortés en la Parada de José Martí, de Hialeah (Miami)". El Nuevo Herald (newspaper). Archived from the original on January 30, 2011. Retrieved Nov 11, 2011.(in Spanish)
- El Nuevo Herald (Feb 2, 2011). "Recuerdos con la actriz cubana María de los Angeles Santana en la película La vida en rosa (1989)". El Nuevo Herald (newspaper). Archived from the original on February 12, 2011. Retrieved Nov 11, 2011.(in Spanish)
- Suncoast Regional Emmy Awards Broadcast/Cablecast Program (Oct 17, 2011). "The 35th Annual Suncoast Emmy Awards 2011 Program Nominees". Suncoast Emmy Awards 2011. Archived from the original on April 4, 2012. Retrieved Nov 11, 2011.CS1 maint: Unfit url (link)
- Radio y Televisión Martí (Miami) (Oct 21, 2011). ""Sobre Mis Pasos" nominado al Emmy". Radio y Televisión Martí (Miami). Retrieved Nov 11, 2011.(in Spanish)
- El Nuevo Herald (Jan 1, 2011). "Acontecimientos del 2010 en Miami-Caras nuevas en Mega TV: Tony Cortés en en "Raíces y recuerdos"". El Nuevo Herald (newspaper). Retrieved Nov 11, 2011.[permanent dead link](in Spanish)
- El Nuevo Herald (Jun 10, 2011). ""Raíces y recuerdos", el programa conducido por Tony Cortés, presenta a David Calzado y su Charanga Habanera en Mega TV". El Nuevo Herald (newspaper). Archived from the original on June 14, 2011. Retrieved Nov 11, 2011.(in Spanish)