Tony Duran (photographer)
|Education||University of Wisconsin–Eau Claire|
|Known for||Celebrity photographs|
Tony Duran is an American photographer. He is known for his photographs of celebrities and his work with male models. Duran is one of the most widely published photographers of celebrities. He has photographed a "virtual who's who of the Hollywood and fashion set." Widely revered in the fashion industry, Duran has been called both "genius" and "brilliant," and his work has been said to express "unrivaled artistic vision"
Duran was born in Winona, Minnesota. He graduated from the University of Wisconsin–Eau Claire where he majored in art. Duran had an early success with photography when he photographed female students at the University of Minnesota. One of the photographs Duran took won the "Look of the Year Award." Tony Duran began his serious career as a photographer in Sydney, Australia where he met many important contacts. Duran's break into fame occurred when he photographed Jennifer Lopez for the cover of Glamour. After this photoshoot he became more widely known and respected. His home has a plaque in honor of Lopez that reads "This is the house that J. Lo built."
Tony Duran's work has been published in many magazines such as GQ, Elle, Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone, Flaunt, Glamour, Kurv, Esquire and Arena. Additionally, Duran has photographed several leading celebrities. To name just a few, Duran has photographed the following: Jennifer Lopez, Lindsay Lohan, Pamela Anderson, Natalie Portman, Kelly Clarkson, Rihanna, Ashanti, Brad Pitt, Toni Braxton, Kate Beckinsale, Charlize Theron, Ashton Kutcher, Penélope Cruz, Alicia Keys, Orlando Bloom, Tom Cruise, Sandra Bullock, Scarlett Johansson, Britney Spears, Ben Affleck, Jude Law, Katie Holmes, Dane Cook, Jamie Foxx, and Kevin Spacey.
Duran is known for photographing nude and semi-nude models. This has led to lists such as Trend Hunter's "12 most scandalous Tony Duran photos." He also uses strange imagery and props in his work. This has led to some mocking reviews. His work with Beyoncé was reviewed by The Daily Mirror as looking like something out of Star Trek. Additionally, Duran is known for using his history as a student of art in his photography. His lack of formal training as a photographer - and his formal training as an artist - allow him to "capture a sensual side not often revealed in his subjects."
- "Photographers on Photography : Tony Duran « DigitalFusion". digitalfusion.net. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- "OHLALA Mag: Tony Duran". Archived from the original on 2010-06-19. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- "11 Scandalous Tony Duran Photo Shoots". trendhunter.com. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- Los Angeles Magazine. Emmis Communications. p. 232. ISSN 1522-9149. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- "Sensual Celebtography: Jennifer Lopez Through the Eyes of Tony Duran". trendhunter.com. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- "Beyonce looks like an extra from Star Trek on shoot - 3am & Mirror Online". mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- "Love Lust - Tony Duran – SundanceTV". sundancechannel.com. Retrieved 2015-07-19.