Strathfield, New South Wales, Australia
|Occupation||Cartoonist, illustrator, graphic designer|
Tony Edwards is an Australian comic book artist and illustrator, best known for his creation, Captain Goodvibes.
In May 1971 saw the publication of Edwards' best known creation Captain Goodvibes in Tracks. The character was inspired by Gilbert Shelton's Wonder Wart-Hog and achieved cult status with the Australian surfing community. The strip continued to run in Tracks until July 1981. The strip's popularity led to the publication of several Goodvibes comic books and a short film Hot to Trot (co-written by Ian Watson and Tony Barrell).
In 1982 he had his first children's story, Ralph the Rhino, published. Edwards also supplied the illustrations for Surfing, the Dictionary by Phil Jarratt, which was published in 1985.
Edwards was illustrating for the National Times/Times on Sunday in 1986, until it ceased publication in 1998, where he moved to the Sun-Herald. In 1998 he won a Walkley Award for 'Best Artwork' for a cartoon, 'Hanna, I Hardly Knew You', published in The Sydney Morning Herald on 13 September 1998.
- Edwards, Tony (1975). Captain Goodvibes : Strange Tales. Avalon Beach, NSW: Tracks Publishing Company.
- Edwards, Tony (1975). Captain Goodvibes : the Whole Earth Pigalogue. Avalon Beach, NSW: Tracks Publishing Company.
- Edwards, Tony (1980). Captain Goodvibes Porkarama. Soundtracts.
- Edwards, Tony (1982). Ralph the rhino. Wellington Lane Press. ISBN 0-908022-02-6.
- Jarratt, Phil; Edwards, Tony (1985). Surfing, the dictionary. Sun Books. ISBN 0-7251-0489-9.
- Edwards, Tony; Doherty, Sean, (Editor) (2011). Captain Goodvibes : My Life As A Pork Chop. Flying Pineapple Media Pty Limited. ISBN 978-0-9808480-1-4.
- "Tony Edwards - Biography". Design & Art Australia Online. 2007. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- Phil Jarratt (1984). Aussie, Australians at play. Wattle Books. p. 140. ISBN 0-949708-10-0.
- John Jiggens. Marijuana Australiana : Cannabis Use, Popular Culture and the Americanisation of Drugs Policy in Australia, 1938-1988 (pdf). Queensland University of Technology. p. 44.
- Patrick, Kevin (30 November 2009). "Return of Captain Goodvibe". Comics Down Under. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- "Hot to Trot (1977)". IMDb. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- Robert Phiddian; Haydon R. Manning (2008). Comic Commentators: Contemporary Political Cartooning in Australia. Network Book. pp. 28–29. ISBN 978-1-920845-48-3.
- "Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance (Australia) - records of the W.G. Walkley Awards, 1956 - 1999". Library of New South Wales. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- Tony Edwards selection of original drawings including the comic strips "Doctor Art", "Captain Goodvibes", "Ralph the Rhino" and others. Library of New South Wales. 1992. Retrieved 24 November 2011.
- Biographical cuttings on Tony Edwards, cartoonist, containing one or more cuttings from newspapers or journals. National Library of Australia. 1990. Retrieved 24 November 2011.