||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||New York City, New York, United States|
Tony Gerber is an American filmmaker and the co-founder of Market Road Films, an independent production company.
Gerber is the co-director, co-producer and co-cinematographer of the award-winning and critically acclaimed film Full Battle Rattle (with Jesse Moss) about life inside the US Army’s Iraq simulation in the California desert. Full Battle Rattle had its world premiere at the 2008 Berlinale and went on to win the Special Jury Prize at its US premiere at the SXSW Film Festival in Austin, Texas. The film was broadcast on the National Geographic Channel and has played in festivals around the world.
Previous work includes the feature film, Side Streets (Executive Produced by Merchant Ivory and released by IFC) starring Rosario Dawson, Valeria Golino and Bollywood legend Shashi Kapoor. The critically acclaimed film had its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival and its US premiere at Sundance. In addition to independent films and television commissions, Gerber collaborates with cutting edge visual artists including Ann Sofi Siden on QM, I Think I’ll Call Her QM and Matthew Barney on Drawing Restraint 9 (starring Björk), Cremaster IV and the upcoming Ren. He directed the film Congo Bush Pilots for National Geographic Explorer, chronicling the lives of ex-pat flyers in the midst of one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises. The documentary special was shot entirely on location in the war-torn Democratic Republic of Congo and is being developed into a documentary series. He most recently shot and directed Secret History of Diamonds for National Geographic Explorer. This documentary was made on location in Angola, Botswana and Antwerp. His previous film work in television earned him two Emmy Awards. He is currently in development on a feature film based on Lynn Nottage’s play Mud, River, Stone.
National Geographic Explorer (TV series documentary)
- Man vs. Volcano (2010)
- Inside the DEA (2010)
- Secret History of Diamonds (2009)
- Congo Bush Pilots (2008)
- Science of Evil (2008)
- Pavilion (2014)
- Greg Chapman for Inside National Geographic Channel Blog, "Full Battle Rattle, the story", 1/7/2009, "Full Battle Rattle: The Story" 3/5/2011
- National Geographic, "Explorer: Congo Bush Pilots", 2008, "Explorer: Congo Bush Pilots" 3/5/2011
- IMDB, "Man vs. Volcano", "Man vs. Volcano IMDB" 3/5/2011
- IMDB, "Inside the DEA", "Inside the DEA IMDB" 3/5/2011
- IMDB, "Secret History of Diamonds", "Secret History of Diamonds IMDB" 3/5/2011
- IMDB, "Congo Bush Pilots" , "Congo Bush Pilots IMDB" 3/5/2011
- IMDB, "Science of Evil", "Science of Evil IMDB" 3/5/2011
- IMDB, "Full Battle Rattle", "Full Battle Rattle IMDB" 3/5/2011
- IMDB, "Side Streets", "Side Streets IMDB" 3/5/2011
- IMDB, "QM, I Think I Call Her QM", "QM, I Think I Call Her QM IMDB" 3/5/2011
- IMDB, "A Small Taste of Heaven", "A Small Taste of Heaven IMDB" 3/5/2011
- Joystiq, "Dreamy indie game Pavilion coming to PS4, Vita in Spring 2014" 9/14/2013