August 23, 1961 |
La Crosse, Wisconsin
|September 1, 1983, for the Philadelphia Phillies|
|Last MLB appearance|
|September 13, 1983, for the Philadelphia Phillies|
|Earned run average||3.14|
Anthony Paul Ghelfi (born August 23, 1961) is a former Major League Baseball (MLB) pitcher. Drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in 1980, he played at the Major League level with the team for 2 weeks in September 1983.
Ghelfi made is Major League debut on September 1, 1983 as the starting pitcher when the Phillies hosted the San Francisco Giants. After surrendering a run before recording the game's first out, he settled in and was the winning pitcher in the Phillies' 4–2 victory, striking out 6 along the way. On September 6, in his second ML start, he pitched 4 1⁄3 scoreless innings, giving up 5 hits, and striking out 4, as the Phillies went on to beat the New York Mets, 2–0. However, since he did not pitch the requisite 5 innings for a starter to earn a win, he left with a no-decision. He did not fare as well in his third, and final, ML start on September 13 against the Mets when he surrendered 3 runs in 5 innings of work. Although he struck out 4, he was the losing pitcher, as the Phillies lost 5–1.
Following his brief MLB stint, Ghelfi finished out his professional career in the minor league systems of the Phillies (1984–1985), Cleveland Indians (1987–1988), and San Diego Padres (1989).
- "Tony Ghelfi Statistics and History". baseball-reference.com. sports-reference.com. Retrieved August 29, 2014.
- "Tony Ghelfi Stats". baseball-almanac.com. Retrieved August 29, 2014.
- "Sep 1, 1983, Giants at Phillies Play by Play and Box Score". baseball-reference.com. sports-reference.com. September 1, 1983. Retrieved August 29, 2014.
- "Sep 6, 1983, Phillies at Mets Play by Play and Box Score". baseball-reference.com. sports-reference.com. September 6, 1983. Retrieved September 2, 2014.
- "Sep 13, 1983, Mets at Phillies Play by Play and Box Score". baseball-reference.com. sports-reference.com. September 13, 1983. Retrieved September 2, 1983. Check date values in:
- "Tony Ghelfi Minor League Statistics & History". baseball-reference.com. sports-reference.com. Retrieved August 29, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
|This biographical article relating to an American baseball pitcher born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|