Tony Green (American football)
|Position:||Kickoff returner, running back|
|Date of birth:||September 26, 1956|
|Place of birth:||Rochester, New York|
|Height:||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight:||185 lb (84 kg)|
|High school:||Sarasota (FL) Riverview|
|NFL Draft:||1978 / Round: 6 / Pick: 159|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Anthony Edward Green (born September 26, 1956) is an American former college and professional football player who was a kickoff returner and running back in the National Football League (NFL) for two season during the late 1970s. Green played college football for the University of Florida, and thereafter, he played professionally for the Washington Redskins, New York Giants and Seattle Seahawks of the NFL.
Green accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Doug Dickey's Florida Gators football team from 1974 to 1977. Memorably, he rushed eleven times for 178 yards (a 16.2-yard average) against the Maryland Terrapins in 1974, and ran eighty yards for a touchdown against the Mississippi State Bulldogs in 1977. He was a first-team All-Southeastern Conference (SEC) selection as a senior in 1977. Green finished his four-year college career with 2,590 rushing yards on 445 carries (a 5.8-yard average), 287 yards receiving, and 775 yards in punt and kickoff returns.
The Washington Redskins chose Green in the sixth round (156th pick overall) in the 1978 NFL Draft, and he played for the Redskins for a single season in 1978. He had a remarkable rookie season as the Redskins' primary kicker return specialist in 1978: forty-two punt return for 440 yards, and thirty-four kickoff returns for 870 yards. Green was selected for the Pro Bowl as a kick returner after the season ended.
- Florida Gators football, 1970–79
- List of Florida Gators football players in the NFL
- List of New York Giants players
- List of Seattle Seahawks players
- List of Washington Redskins players
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Tony Green. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- databaseFootball.com, Players, Tony Green. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 96, 138–140, 146–148, 150, 181 (2011). Retrieved August 29, 2011.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame, Draft History, 1978 National Football League Draft. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- National Football League, Historical Players, Tony Green. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- Carlson, Norm, University of Florida Football Vault: The History of the Florida Gators, Whitman Publishing, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia (2007). ISBN 0-7948-2298-3.
- Golenbock, Peter, Go Gators! An Oral History of Florida's Pursuit of Gridiron Glory, Legends Publishing, LLC, St. Petersburg, Florida (2002). ISBN 0-9650782-1-3.
- Hairston, Jack, Tales from the Gator Swamp: A Collection of the Greatest Gator Stories Ever Told, Sports Publishing, LLC, Champaign, Illinois (2002). ISBN 1-58261-514-4.
- McCarthy, Kevin M., Fightin' Gators: A History of University of Florida Football, Arcadia Publishing, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina (2000). ISBN 978-0-7385-0559-6.
- Nash, Noel, ed., The Gainesville Sun Presents The Greatest Moments in Florida Gators Football, Sports Publishing, Inc., Champaign, Illinois (1998). ISBN 1-57167-196-X