Tony Harris (journalist)
|Alma mater||University of Maryland, Baltimore County, (B.A.)|
|Al Jazeera America News|
Al Jazeera English Newshour
CNN Saturday Morning
CNN Sunday Morning
Tony Harris (born July 25, 1967) is a US-American television reporter, news anchor and producer, currently with Investigation Discovery. Previously Harris was a news anchor at Al Jazeera English, Al Jazeera America and CNN.
Life and career
He entered broadcasting as a nineteen-year-old radio disc jockey in his native Baltimore, Maryland. Two years later, he moved to television as a features reporter for an afternoon newsmagazine in Cleveland, Ohio. He rose to co-host. Moving to New York City, he worked as an entertainment reporter for Entertainment Tonight and the Home Box Office. He returned to Cleveland in the early 1990s as a weekend news anchor, then again to New York City, and Los Angeles, as a reporter for the Fox Network prime time newsmagazine Front Page.
He returned to local news as lead anchor for WBFF and WNUV in Baltimore, and then for WGCL-TV in Atlanta, Georgia, before joining CNN in September 2004. Based at CNN Center in Atlanta, Harris co-anchored CNN Saturday Morning and CNN Sunday Morning with Betty Nguyen until he made the move to anchor CNN Newsroom on September 8, 2008. He was also a frequent substitute anchor on weekday news programs including American Morning. Harris has won an Emmy Award.
He left CNN at the end of December 2010.
On August 20, 2013, he debuted as an anchor on Al Jazeera America. His first broadcast was the first regularly scheduled program ever on the network with the news at 4:00 p.m. eastern time.
In 2020, Harris began hosting the podcast Monster: DC Sniper.
References in popular culture
After Harris criticized NASA for naming the new space station treadmill after comedian Stephen Colbert, Colbert responded on September 30, 2009 by naming his in-studio toilet the H.A.R.R.I.S. (Human Ass Receiving Receptacle In Studio).
- "Anchors & Reporters - Tony Harris". CNN. Archived from the original on 28 October 2010. Retrieved 27 December 2018.
- "John Roberts to leave 'American Morning' in the new year". New York Post. December 7, 2010. Retrieved December 31, 2010.
- "Former CNN Anchor Tony Harris Now Anchoring for Al Jazeera English". MediaBistro.com. 12 April 2011. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- "Baltimore's own Tony Harris discusses "Monster" the D.C. Sniper podcast". WBAL TV. February 4, 2020. Retrieved 20 April 2020.
- "The Colbert Report - A Pace Odyssey". Viacom. 30 September 2009. Retrieved 31 December 2010.