Tony Hawk's Proving Ground
|Tony Hawk's Proving Ground|
|Developer(s)||Neversoft (PS3 & X360)
Vicarious Visions (DS)
Page 44 Studios (PS2 & Wii)
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground is a video game developed by Vicarious Visions for the Nintendo DS, by Neversoft for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 and by Page 44 Studios for the PlayStation 2 and Wii. Proving Ground is the ninth installment in the Tony Hawk's series, and the last to be developed by Neversoft as the franchise was then transferred to Robomodo.
Proving Ground was not as successful as Project 8 (2006). When it debuted in 2007, critics were hesitant about its controls, despite receiving praise for its visuals and audio. Amidst this somewhat lackluster reception, it was a financial success. The Xbox 360 version in America came with a demo of Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, which was released on October 28, 2007.
It features same gameplay from earlier Tony Hawk games; it includes new features as Nail the Manual and Nail the Grab. Similar to Nail the Trick off of the previous Tony Hawk games but features different moves to do.
There are 9 levels in the video game. They are in 3 East Coast cities, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C.. The levels differ between the different console versions. In the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions, there is one open world. In the Wii and PlayStation 2 versions, levels have to be selected by pausing the game. Three different types of goals in Story Mode are available; Rigger, Career, and Hardcore. In each level, there are two arcade machines, one for high score and the other to play classic mode. This game has three Nail the Trick modes (Nail the Trick, Nail the Grab, and Nail the Manual) The PlayStation 2 and Wii versions do not include the Nail the Manual feature. The Classic Mode feature allows the player to play each city section in the style of early Pro Skater games. There is a free skate mode on the PlayStation 3 and Wii versions.
|This section requires expansion. (February 2015)|
|This section requires expansion. (December 2009)|
Proving Ground's demo was scheduled for release on Xbox Live Marketplace for Xbox 360 on September 10, 2007 but was delayed to September 12, 2007. The release date for the PS3 demo in the PlayStation Store was September 13 in the U.S. The UK demo was released on October 25, 2007. The demo allows ten minutes of free time, but allows players to try out each skater class, including a detailed tutorial on the new Nail-The-Grab mode, as well as a toned down version of the Video Editor.
The Proving Ground soundtrack is composed of 54 tracks covering various genres similar to previous games in the series.
Proving Ground was met with mixed to positive reviews upon release. On Metacritic, both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions had an average score of 72, the PlayStation 2 version had an average score of 65, and the Wii version had an average score of 57. All of these scores are considered "mixed or average" by the site. The PlayStation 2 and Nintendo Wii versions were criticized for not having the same mechanics that are in the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions. The Nintendo DS version received generally favorable reviews from critics. On Metacritic it received an average score of 79 out of 100 based on 21 reviews. On Game Rankings it received an average score of 78% based on 19 reviews. Notably however, the game received a 9/10 from the Official UK Xbox Magazine. The Official UK PlayStation Magazine awarded the game 7/10.
Proving Ground is the only main series Tony Hawk title to directly compete with EA Skate, failing to outsell the debut title.
- Ingham, Tim. "Tony Hawk’s and COD4 dated". www.mcvuk.com. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- Macy, Seth. "Tony Hawk and Activision Working on New Game". IGN. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
- "Planet Tony Hawk - News, , Previews, Reviews, Guides". Planettonyhawk.gamespy.com. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- "THPG demo". Planet Tony Hawk. 2007-09-09. Retrieved 2007-09-09.
- "Tony Hawk's Proving Ground soundtrack revealed". Gamespot.com. Retrieved 2007-08-27.
- "Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (ds: 2007): Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2008-03-23.
- "Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (xbox360: 2007): Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2008-03-23.
- "Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (ps3: 2007): Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2008-03-23.
- "Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (ps2: 2007): Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2008-03-23.
- "Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (wii: 2007): Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2008-03-23.
- Craig Harris. "Tony Hawk's Proving Ground Review - Nintendo DS Review at IGN". Ds.ign.com. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- Chris Roper. "Tony Hawk's Proving Ground Review - Xbox 360 Review at IGN". Xbox360.ign.com. Retrieved 2011-11-15.
- "Tony Hawk's Proving Ground Reviews". Game Rankings. Retrieved 2008-03-23.