Tony Hawk's Skate Jam
|Tony Hawk's Skate Jam|
|Developer(s)||Maple Media LLC.|
|Publisher(s)||Maple Media LLC.|
December 13, 2018
February 1, 2019
Tony Hawk's Skate Jam is a skateboarding video game developed and published by American studio Maple Media. A free-to-play game for iOS and Android mobile phones, Skate Jam is the first game in the Tony Hawk's video game series to not be published by Activision, who had been responsible for the series from 1999 to 2015.
The game was officially announced on December 3, 2018 and was released for iOS on December 13, 2018. The game was released for Android on February 1, 2019.
Skate Jam is built on the gameplay engine of Skateboard Party, a previous series of mobile games developed by Maple Media and inspired by the Tony Hawk's series. Skate Jam features a traditional Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater style career mode comprised of 15 levels, five of which double as competition levels. The levels that make up Skate Jam have all been adapted from previous Skateboard Party titles.
The licensing deal between Hawk and former series publisher Activision expired in December 2015. In January 2017, Hawk stated in an interview that he was in early talks to continue the franchise without Activision.
Hawk first teased the game's existence in June 2018, in an interview with The Nine Club, a skateboarding podcast. The game was officially revealed on December 3, 2018 as Tony Hawk's Skate Jam. Maple Media, the developers of Skate Jam, have a history developing skateboarding games for mobile platforms, with a flagship series of their own, Skateboard Party, of which Skate Jam is a spiritual successor to.
The game's soundtrack was selected by Hawk himself.
Reception of the game has been mixed, with many users noting the difficulty and awkwardness of the controls. Mashable noted that, "At first glance, Skate Jam appears to be faithful to the original mechanics of THPS, while also adding in some newer elements."
- "'Tony Hawk's Skate Jam' is the New Tony Hawk Mobile Game, Coming December 13th". Touch Arcade. Dec 3, 2018.
- Mangalindan, JP (Dec 1, 2016). "Tony Hawk wants his next video game to use VR". Yahoo Finance. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- "Tony Hawk says new game is in the works, without Activision's involvement".
- Makuch, Eddie (January 31, 2017). "Tony Hawk Working On New Game Without Activision".
- "Tony Hawk is Working on a New Mobile Game". n3rdabl3. July 13, 2018.
- "r/iosgaming - Tony Hawk's Skate Jam is now available. Is it really this bad?". reddit. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- Bell, Karissa. "Tony Hawk finally lands on mobile with 'Tony Hawk's Skate Jam'". Mashable. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
|This sports game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|