Tony Johnson (fighter)
February 6, 1986 |
Killeen, Texas, United States
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||264 lb (120 kg; 18.9 st)|
|Fighting out of||Nashville, TN, United States|
|Team||American Kickboxing Academy|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Anthony "Tony" Johnson Jr. (born February 6, 1986) is an American mixed martial artist currently competing in Bellator's heavyweight division. A professional competitor since 2008, Johnson has also formerly competed for ONE Championship and King of the Cage. He is the former KOTC heavyweight champion.
Mixed martial arts career
King of the Cage
After going undefeated in his first three professional mixed martial arts fights, Johnson signed with King of the Cage and challenged Tony Lopez for his KOTC heavyweight championship on March 26, 2010 at KOTC: Legacy. Also being the KOTC light heavyweight champion, Lopez was undefeated his last sixteen fights, which marked Johnson's most experienced opponent at the time. Johnson recorded the upset, using his wrestling to defeat the much more experienced Lopez via unanimous decision and becoming the KOTC heavyweight champion in just only his fourth professional fight.
Johnson made his first title defense against then prospect and future UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier at KOTC: Imminent Danger on August 13, 2010. He lost the fight and KOTC heavyweight championship in the first round via rear-naked choke submission, resulting in his first professional loss.
In April 2011, it was announced that Johnson had signed with Bellator, with his promotional debut expected to take place at Bellator 41 on April 16 against Carlos Flores. Johnson, however, was later replaced by Rudy Aguilar due to unknown reasons. Johnson eventually made his promotional debut against current UFC competitor Derrick Lewis at Bellator 46 on June 25, 2011. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
After being sidelined for nearly two years due to issues with his Bellator contract, Johnson signed with Singapore-based promotion ONE Championship and faced former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia at ONE Fighting Championship: Rise to Power on May 31, 2013. The fight was contested at a catchweight of 271 lbs. after Sylvia missed weight. Johnson won the fight via TKO due to a doctor stoppage in the third round after an elbow by Johnson opened up a cut on Sylvia's forehead.
Over a year later, on November 22, 2014, Johnson faced Robert Neal at V3 Fights: Neal vs. Johnson and won via TKO due to elbows in the very first round.
Return to Bellator
Johnson faced former professional boxer Raphael Butler at Bellator 148 on January 29, 2016. Johnson utilised his wrestling to take Butler down and wear him down, before the referee stopped the bout in favour of Johnson, late in the third round due to punches (TKO).
Johnson has three daughters.
Johnson used to train at Evolution MMA in Miami, FL. A gym owned by Head Coach Dan Monteleone.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|13 matches||10 wins||3 losses|
|Loss||10–3||Cheick Kongo||Decision (majority)||Bellator 161||September 16, 2016||3||5:00||Cedar Park, Texas, United States|
|Win||10–2||Raphael Butler||TKO (punches)||Bellator 148||January 29, 2016||3||4:24||Fresno, California, United States|
|Win||9–2||Alexander Volkov||Decision (split)||Bellator 136||April 10, 2015||3||5:00||Irvine, California, United States|
|Win||8–2||Robert Neal||TKO (elbows)||V3 Fights: Neal vs. Johnson||November 22, 2014||1||1:21||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Loss||7–2||Chris Lokteff||Decision (split)||ONE Fighting Championship: Warrior Spirit||November 15, 2013||3||5:00||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|Win||7–1||Tim Sylvia||TKO (doctor stoppage)||ONE Fighting Championship: Rise to Power||May 31, 2013||3||3:25||Pasay City, Philippines||Catchweight (271 lbs) bout; Sylvia missed weight.|
|Win||6–1||Derrick Lewis||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator 46||June 25, 2011||3||5:00||Hollywood, Florida, United States|
|Win||5–1||Boban Simic||Decision (unanimous)||KOTC: Infusion||November 13, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||4–1||Daniel Cormier||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Imminent Danger||August 13, 2010||1||2:27||Mescalero, New Mexico, United States||Lost KOTC heavyweight championship.|
|Win||4–0||Tony Lopez||Decision (unanimous)||KOTC: Legacy||March 26, 2010||5||5:00||Reno, Nevada, United States||Won KOTC heavyweight championship.|
|Win||3–0||Cedric James||TKO (punches)||G-Force Fights: Bad Blood 2||September 26, 2009||1||1:44||Coral Gables, Florida, United States|
|Win||2–0||Steven Banks||Decision (unanimous)||BGONA: Warriors of the Ring||August 22, 2009||3||5:00||Greensboro, North Carolina, United States|
|Win||1–0||Kenny Garner||TKO (punches)||G-Force Fights: Bad Blood 1||November 6, 2008||2||3:50||Miami, Florida, United States|
- Ray Hui (March 26, 2010). "Two New Champions Emerge at King of the Cage: Legacy". mmafighting.com.
- Leland Roling (August 19, 2010). "Overlooked Battle of Top Flight Heavyweights Puts Spotlight on Division's Dire Need for Talent". bloodyelbow.com.
- "King Of The Cage: Infusion Official Results". mixedmartialarts.com.
- Mike Whitman (April 7, 2011). "Bellator signs former KOTC champion Johnson". sherdog.com.
- Mike Whitman (June 8, 2011). "Update: 8 bouts set for Bellator 46 on June 25". sherdog.com.
- Jordan Breen (June 25, 2011). "Bellator 46 Prelims: Aguilar Takes Split Decision, 'Popo' Impresses". sherdog.com.
- James Goyder (May 23, 2013). "ONE FC fighter Tony Johnson details struggle to free himself from Bellator contract clause". mmamania.com.
- Mike Whitman (May 8, 2013). "One FC 9 Undercard Gets Heavyweights Tim Sylvia, Tony Johnson Jr., 2 More Prelims". sherdog.com.
- James Goyder (May 30, 2013). "ONE FC 'Rise to Power' Weigh in Results: Tim Sylvia fails to make weight". mmamania.com.
- Luke Thomas (May 31, 2013). "One FC 9 results: Tim Sylvia loses by doctor stoppage to Tony Johnson". mmafighting.com.
- James Goyder (November 13, 2013). "Bout between once-beaten heavyweights Chris Lokteff and Tony Johnson Jr. Added to ONE FC 12: 'Warrior Spirit'". mmamania.com.
- Staff (November 15, 2013). "ONE FC 12 results: Yusup Saadulaev edges out Adriano Moraes". mmajunkie.com.
- Rainer Lee (November 25, 2014). "Beyond the Octagon: UFC vets go 4-0". bloodyelbow.com.
- Brent Brookhouse (March 11, 2015). "Bellator 136 card complete, Volkov vs. Johnson added to main card". mmajunkie.com.
- Staff (April 10, 2015). "Bellator 136 results: Will Brooks outgrinds Dave Jansen to retain title". mmajunkie.com.
- Staff (January 29, 2016). "Bellator 148 results: Paul Daley blasts Andy Uhrich, sets up Josh Koscheck rematch". mmajunkie.com.
- Mike Bohn (September 16, 2016). "Bellator 161 results: Kongo takes decision over Johnson, Warren submits Kakai". mmajunkie.com.
- Tristen Critchfield (April 7, 2015). "After Rough Introduction, Bellator 136's Tony Johnson Credits AKA for Development". sherdog.com.