|Born||17 January 1958|
|Alma mater||University of Leeds (BSc) |
University of Cambridge (PhD)
|Awards||Heinrich Wieland Prize (2013)|
Fellow of the Royal Society (2012)
|Institutions||University of Leeds|
University of Cambridge
New York University
Laboratory of Molecular Biology
|Thesis||A molecular analysis of transformation by human cytomegalovirus (1985)|
|Doctoral advisor||Tony Minson|
Tony Kouzarides (born 17 January 1958), FMedSci, FRS is a senior group leader Gurdon Institute, a founding non-executive director of Abcam and a Professor of Cancer Biology at the University of Cambridge.
Tony did his PhD at the University of Cambridge and postdoctoral work at MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology in Cambridge and New York University Medical Center. His research group at the Gurdon Institute is focused on epigenetic modifications and their involvement in cancer.
Research & Activities
Tony Kouzarides is Professor of Cancer Biology at the University of Cambridge and a group leader at the Gurdon Institute. He currently holds the following directorships: Director and Co-founder of the Milner Therapeutics Institute, director of Cambridge Gravity and director of STORM Therapeutics.
Tony is founder/director of Cambridge Gravity, an organization for the promotion of science at the University of Cambridge. He is founder, patron and ex-director of a cancer charity in Spain called Conquer Cancer (Vencer el Cancer). He is on the Scientific Advisory Board of the Institute of Cancer Research (UK) and on the Executive Board of the CRUK Cambridge Cancer Centre.
Tony is a co-founder and ex-director of Abcam plc, a publicly trading research reagents company in Cambridge, a co-founder and ex-director of Chroma Therapeutics, of a drug discovery company based in Oxford and a co-founder and current director of STORM Therapeutics, a drug discovery company based in Cambridge.
Awards & Prizes
Kouzarides has been elected member of the European Molecular Biology Organization, Fellow of the British Academy of Medical Sciences (FMedSci), Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS), Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (AAAS) and is a Cancer Research UK Gibb Fellow. He has been awarded the Wellcome Trust medal for research in biochemistry related to medicine (UK), the Tenovus Medal (UK), the Bodossaki Foundation prize in Biology (Greece), the Bijvoet Medal (Holland), the Biochemical Society Award Novartis Medal and Prize (UK) and the Heinrich Wieland Prize (Germany).
- "Professor Tony Kouzarides FMedSci FRS". Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "The Academy of Medical Sciences | Directory of Fellows". Archived from the original on 3 April 2015.
- Cranage, M. P.; Kouzarides, T.; Bankier, A. T.; Satchwell, S.; Weston, K.; Tomlinson, P.; Barrell, B.; Hart, H.; Bell, S. E.; Minson, A. C. (1986). "Identification of the human cytomegalovirus glycoprotein B gene and induction of neutralizing antibodies via its expression in recombinant vaccinia virus". The EMBO Journal. 5 (11): 3057–3063. doi:10.1002/j.1460-2075.1986.tb04606.x. PMC 1167261. PMID 3024973.
- "KOUZARIDES, Prof. Tony". Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press. Retrieved 18 March 2015. (subscription required)
- "The Kouzarides Lab at the Gurdon Institute". Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Abcam board of directors". Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Professor Tony Kouzarides profile- Cambridge Cancer Centre". Archived from the original on 6 June 2013.