Tony Newton (musician)
|Birth name||Antonio Newton|
|Genres||Rock, soul, R&B, jazz rock|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, producer, arranger|
|Instruments||Bass, keyboards, vocals|
|Labels||NCI Records, Novaphonic Records|
|Associated acts||John Lee Hooker, Smokey Robinson, 8th Day, The Tony Williams New Lifetime, Gary Moore|
Antonio (Tony) Newton is an electric bass player from Detroit Michigan. Newton has recorded with Tony Williams, John Lee Hooker, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Gary Moore and Allan Holdsworth.
Newton was discovered by Motown executive Hank Cosby while playing in Detroit Blues clubs at the age of 18. He was the bass player in the Motortown Revue that toured the UK in 1965, in which he performed with artists such as The Supremes and Smokey Robinson.
- Mysticism and Romance (1978)
- Let's Be Generous (1991) with Joachim Kühn, Miroslav Tadić and Mark Nauseef
- Oracle (Solo piano, 1992)
- Circle of Love (1998)
With Smokey Robinson
- People Like Us (1971)
With 8th Day
- I Gotta Get Home (Can't Let My Baby Get Lonely) (1973)
With Aretha Franklin
- You (1975)
- G-Force (1980)
- Chaffin, Christina. "Motown Funk Brother Revisits Musical Roots". The Motown Vault. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- Newton, Tony (2011). Gold Thunder: A Legendary Adventures of a Motown Bassman. Quantum Media Publishing.
- "Antonio (Tony) Newton biography". Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Art Vista™ Presents GROOVEMASTER – the Tony Newton Bass Libraries". Bass Musician. January 13, 2011. Retrieved 7 February 2015.