This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Plana at the National Hispanic Media Coalition's 16th Annual Impact Awards Gala
José Antonio Plana
April 19, 1952
|Alma mater||Loyola Marymount University|
|Spouse(s)||Ada Maris (c. 1988-present; 2 children)|
José Antonio Plana (born April 19, 1952), better known as Tony Plana, is a Cuban American actor and director. He is known for playing Betty Suarez's father, Ignacio Suarez, on the ABC television show Ugly Betty and also for voicing Manuel "Manny" Calavera in the video game Grim Fandango.
José Antonio Plana was born in Havana, Cuba. His family moved to Miami in 1960. He is a graduate of Loyola Marymount University and was trained in acting at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London, UK.
While he is known to a broad audience for his roles in feature films and television, Plana is also known for his skills in acting and directing for the stage. He has created and directed a number of productions of the works of Shakespeare for minority audiences and he has been active in both the Los Angeles, Washington, D.C. and New York City theater communities, including leading appearances on Broadway and at New York City's Public Theater. He originated the role of Rudy in the L.A. production of the Luis Valdez play Zoot Suit, going on to play Rudy in the film version as well.
Plana has acted, directed and written for television in series, mini-series, and specials such as Hill Street Blues, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Resurrection Boulevard, Commander in Chief, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, The West Wing, 24, Cagney & Lacey and many others.
Plana has acted in films such as An Officer and a Gentleman, Three Amigos, Goal!, Lone Star, and others. He is known to PC gamers as the voice of Manny Calavera in the LucasArts 1998 adventure game Grim Fandango. In 2011, Plana guest starred in Desperate Housewives as Gabrielle Solis's abusive stepfather, Alejandro Perez. He also directed Witch's Lament, a Desperate Housewives episode in the show's eighth season. In 2011, he appeared in Body of Proof, in the episode "Helping Hand".
Plana, during his acting career participated in the web series Los Americans (2011), which is characterized by having a multigenerational focus, a middle-class family living in Los Angeles. During the series, he participated with Esai Morales, Lupe Ontiveros, JC Gonzalez, Raymond Cruz, Yvonne DeLaRosa, and Ana Villafañe.
Plana is currently volunteering as a spokesperson for comprehensive immigration reform. He was the keynote speaker for the 2012 LULAC conference in Coronado Springs Convention Center in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
- Satellite Awards for Best Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries, or Motion Picture Made for Television for his role as "Ignacio Suarez," Ugly Betty, on December 17, 2006.
- Screen Actors Guild Awards: Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Ensemble - Comedy Series for: Ugly Betty (2006).
- ALMA Awards: Outstanding Actor in a Television Series for: Resurrection Blvd. (2002)
- ALMA Awards: Outstanding Actor in a New Television Series for: Resurrection Blvd. (2001)
- Bravo Awards: Outstanding Actor in a Feature Film for: Lone Star (1996).
- What's Happening!! (1978, TV Series) as Amid
- The Boss' Son (1978) as Juan
- The Paper Chase (1978, TV Series) as Marcos
- Seed of Innocence (1980) (uncredited)
- First Family (1980) as White House Gardener
- Madame X (1981, TV Movie) as Senor Rueda
- Love & Money (1981) as National Guard General
- Zoot Suit (1981) as Rudy
- Circle of Power (1981) as Reza Haddad
- An Officer and a Gentleman (1982) as Emiliano Della Serra
- Valley Girl (1983) as Low Rider
- Nightmares (1983) as Father Luis Del Amo (segment "The Benediction")
- El Norte (1983) as Carlos the Bus Boy
- Deal of the Century (1983) as Chicano Man
- What's Up, Hideous Sun Demon (1983) as Officer Ignatz
- City Limits (1984) as Ramos
- Latino (1985) as Ruben
- The Best of Times (1986) as Chico
- Salvador (1986) as Major Max
- Three Amigos (1986) as Jefe
- Disorderlies (1987) as Miguel
- Born in East L.A. (1987) as Feo
- Miami Vice (1984-1988, TV Series) as Ernesto Guerrero / Cinco
- Buy & Cell (1988) as Raoul
- Break of Dawn (1988, TV Movie) as Rodriguez
- The Case of the Hillside Stranglers (1989, TV Movie) as Mike Hernandez
- Romero (1989) as Father Manuel Morantes
- Why Me? (1990) as Benjy Klopzik
- The Rookie (1990) as Morales
- Havana (1990) as Julio Ramos
- Seinfeld (1991, Season 2 Episode 5: "The Apartment") as Manny
- One Good Cop (1991) as Beniamino
- The Golden Girls (1991, TV Series) as Alvarez
- JFK (1991) as Carlos Bringuier
- Live Wire (1992) as Al-red
- Red Hot (1993) as KGB Investigator
- Greshnitsa v maske (1993) as Le Arden
- A Million to Juan (1994) as Jorge
- Silver Strand (1995, TV Movie) as Richie Guttierez
- Nixon (1995) as Manolo Sanchez
- Primal Fear (1996) as Martinez
- Lone Star (1996) as Ray
- The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca (1996) as Lorca's Friend Marcos
- Canción desesperada (1996) as Patrick
- Down for the Barrio (1997) as Cesar
- Santa Fe (1997) as Chief Gomez
- One Eight Seven (1997) as Principal Garcia
- The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit (1998) as Victor Medina
- Shadow of Doubt (1998) as Detective Krause
- Let the Devil Wear Black (1999) as Tall
- Every Dog Has Its Day (1999) as The Cop
- Knockout (2000) as Chuck Alvarado
- Picking Up the Pieces (2000) as Usher
- Vegas, City of Dreams (2001) as Captain Martin
- Half Past Dead (2002) as Warden El Fuego
- John Doe (2003, Season 1, Episode 17: "Doe or Die") as Captain Ruiz
- Monk (2003, TV Series) as Capt. Alameda
- 24 (2004, TV Series) as Omar
- The Lost City (2005) as The Emcee
- Goal! (2005) as Hernan Munez
- El Muerto (2007) as Aparicio
- Hacia la oscuridad (2007) as Carlos Gutierrez
- Half Past Dead 2 (2007) as Warden El Fuego
- AmericanEast (2008) as Dez
- Life Is Hot in Cracktown (2009) as Lou
- Change Your Life! (2010) as Simon Martinez
- Desperate Housewives (2011, TV Series) as Alejandro Perez
- Body of Proof (2011, Episode 3: "Helping Hand") as Armando Rosas
- America (2011) as Tio Poldo
- The Man Who Shook the Hand of Vicente Fernandez (2012) as Dr. Dominguez
- Psych (2013, Season 7, Episode 4: "No Country for Two Old Men") as Pablo Nuñez
- Pain and Gain (2013) as Captain Lopez
- Alpha House (2013-2014, TV Series) as Benito 'Benny' Lopez
- A Miracle in Spanish Harlem (2013) as Mariano
- Jane the Virgin (2014, TV Series) as Father Ortega
- The Fosters (2015-2017, TV Series) as Victor Gutierrez
- Cristela (2015, TV Series) as Joaquin Alvarez
- Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders (2015, TV Series) as Father Consolmango
- The Young Pope (2016, TV Series) as Carlos García
- America Adrift (2016) as William Fernandez
- Lethal Weapon (2016–2018, TV Series) as Ronnie Delgado
- Superstore (2017, Season 2, Episode 16: "Integrity Award") as Ron Sosa
- Roman J. Israel, Esq. (2017) as Jessie Salinas
- Butterfly Caught (2017) as Michael Channis
- One Day at a Time (2017-2019, TV Series) as Berto
- Colony (2017–present) as Proxy Alcala
- The Punisher (2017–2019, TV Series) as Rafael Hernandez
- Shooter (2018, TV Series) as Guitierez
- Dynasty (2019) as Cristal Jennings’ father, Silvio Flores.
- Godzilla 1985 (1985) as Goro Maki (voice, uncredited)
- Santo Bugito (1995, TV Series) as Paco
- Extreme Ghostbusters (1997, TV Series) (voice)
- Grim Fandango (1998, Video Game) as Manuel "Manny" Calavera
- Cuba Libre (2003) as Narrator (voice)
- Hiroshima - Radio play based on the book by John Hersey, adapted by John Valentine (2003)
- Elena of Avalor (2018, TV Series) as Oapa (voice)
- "Tony Plana". NNDB.
- "Happy (belated) Birthday, Tony Plana!". www.alloy.com. 2009-04-20. Retrieved 2017-07-07.
- Verdeja, Sam; Martine, Guillermo. Cubans, an Epic Journey: The Struggle of Exiles for Truth and Freedom. Reedy Press LLC. ISBN 978-1-935-80620-2.
- Yahoo! Movies biography
- Berumen, Frank Javier Garcia (2014-08-22). Latino Image Makers in Hollywood: Performers, Filmmakers and Films Since the 1960s. McFarland. ISBN 9781476614113.
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- The 11th Annual Satellite Awards Archived 2011-09-28 at the Wayback Machine. Last accessed January 9, 2007.
- The Paper Chase, Season 1, Episode 15: "The Man in the Chair" (YouTube)