Tony Ranasinghe in a scene from Delovak Athara
Ranasinghe Hettiarachchilage Ignatius Anthony Silva|
31 July 1937
Modara, Sri Lanka
16 June 2015 (aged 77)|
Colombo, Sri Lanka
St. Anthony's College, Wattala |
De La Salle College, Colombo
|Known for||Crowned king of Sri Lankan cinema|
Emmanuel Cyril |
Ranasinghe Hettiarachchilage Ignatius Anthony Silva, or popularly as Deshabandu Tony Ranasinghe (31 July 1937 – 16 June 2015) was a veteran actor in cinema, teledrama and stage drama in Sri Lanka. He is known as the Lover of the 70s in Sri Lankan cinema due to the many popular films in which he acted. He was mostly restricted to innocent main role which is full of glamour and feelings. He died on 16 June 2015 at a public hospital in Colombo at the age of 77. According to critics, he is the last Crowned king in Sri Lankan cinema to die after Gamini Fonseka and Joe Abeywickrama.
He has acted in 115 films, in 43 of which he was the leading actor and in 72 of which he played a supporting role. He also contributed as a script writer in two films.
Early life and career
Ranasinghe Hettiarachchilage Ignatius Anthony Silva, who later became popular as Tony Ranasinghe, was born July 31, 1937 in Modara to Emmanuel Cyril and Lilian Fernando. He had 8 siblings in the family. He studied at St. Anthony's College, Wattala, and De LaSalle College, Modera. Ranasinghe began his career in theatre with a role in Ran Thodu in 1963, which won him the Governor General's Award for Best Stage Actor. This award was presented by minister T. B. Ilangaratne. Ranasinghe made his film debut with Lester James Peries' Gamperaliya (1964) and followed it with Ran Salu. He worked with Peries again on Delovak Athara, in which he had the starring role.
- Adaraneeya Aira
- Jogi Hamarai
- Doloswana Rathriya
- Haemadama Oba Mage
- Mata Kawuruth Adare Na
Ranasinghe was awarded the Best Supporting Actor Sarasaviya Award in 1966 for his role in Parasathu Mal. Subsequently he won Best Actor Awards for Hanthane Kathawa (1969), Duhulu Malak (1976) and Ahasin Polawata (1979). In 1980 he played the father of the protagonist in Ganga Addara. 1993's Saptha Kanya won him Best Actor Awards from Sarasaviya, Swarna Sanka, Presidential and OCIC. Ranasinghe has dabbled in screenplay writing, winning Sarasaviya Awards for Koti Waligaya, Keli Mandala, Awaragira (1995) and Pavuru Walalu. Ranasinghe was honoured the Deshabandu award, third highest national honour awarded in Sri Lanka in 1988.
|-||Angulimala||First script. Did not filmed.|
|-||Daruwange Gedara||Gamini Fonseka did not filmed.|
|-||Athuru Mathiwaranaya||Gamini Fonseka did not filmed.|
|-||Niroopikawa||Did not filmed.|
|1986||Koti Valigaya||Gamini Fonseka|
|1995||Awaragira||Lester James Peries|
|1997||Duwata Mawaka Misa||Sumithra Pieris|
|1999||Pawuru Walalu||Prasanna Vithanage|
|1962||Bodimkarayo||Sugathapala de Silva|
|1964||Thattu Gewal||Sugathapala de Silva|
|-||Ran Thodu||Sugathapala de Silva|
|1967||Nil Katarol Mal||Sugathpala de Silva|
|-||Viroopi Roopa||Namel Weeramuni|
|-||Vaniciye Welenda||Bandula Vithanage|
|-||Gimhane Reyaka Dutu Sihinayak||Helena Lehthimathi|
|-||Harima Badu Hayak||Sugathpala de Silva|
|-||Avi||Sugathpala de Silva|
|-||Parasthawa||Showed only in Galle|
|-||Balawa Namaka Aruma||W.M. Wijesiri|
- "Actor turned writer: Tony's passion for Shakespeare drama". Sundaytimes.lk. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- ":: Daily Mirror - Opinion ::". Archives.dailymirror.lk. 2006-07-31. Archived from the original on 2013-04-01. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "Tony Ranasinghe - දිවි රඟමඬලින් සමුගත් මහා නළු කිවියර". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "Veteran Actor Tony Ranasinghe laid to rest". NEWS.LK : The Official Government News Portal of Sri Lanka. 20 June 2015. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "The last of the Trinity". The Nation. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "ටෝනි වගතුග". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- ":: Daily Mirror - Opinion ::". Archives.dailymirror.lk. 2005-08-06. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "||Pow Wow". Sundayobserver.lk. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "මගේ පැතුම රංගන ශිල්පියකු ලෙස මිය යාමයි". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "Doloswana Rathriya". Sarasavi Bookshop. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "Haemadama Oba Mage". Sarasavi Bookshop. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "A Tribute to Tony". Sunday Times. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- Tony Ranasinghe's Biography in Sinhala Cinema Database
- Tony Ranasinghe on IMDb
- ජීවිත සලරුවක මතක සටහන්
- රංගවේදියකුගේ සදහටම සමුගැනීම
- ටෝනි නම් රසවතා
- දොස් ඇති මිනිසුන් නිදොස් කළ ටෝනි
- දේවදූතයෝ සපිරිවරින් ඔබ නිදි ගැන්මට ගී ගයත්වා
- පරම්පරා දෙකක් ටෝනි දකින හැටි
- අපට ජීවිතය කියාදී මහා නළුවා යන්නටම ගියේය
- සුබ උපන් දිනයක්