|Known for||Painting, Sculpture|
|Movement||Pattern and Decoration|
|Medium||Acrylic on canvas|
|Dimensions||140 cm × 180 cm (56 in × 70 in)|
Tony Robbin (born November 24, 1943 in Washington, DC) is an American artist and author, who works with painting, sculpture and computer visualizations. He is considered part of the Pattern and Decoration (P&D) art movement.
Robbin has had over 25 solo exhibitions of his painting and sculpture since his debut at the Whitney Museum of American Art in 1974, and has been included in over 100 group exhibitions in 12 countries.
Robbin was granted a patent for the application of quasicrystal geometry to architecture,[notes 1] and has implemented this geometry for a large-scale architectural sculpture at the Danish Technical University in Kongens Lyngby, Denmark, as well as one for the city of Jacksonville, Florida.
Robbin is the author of four books: Fourfield: Computers, Art, & the 4th Dimension (1992 ),[books 1] Engineering A New Architecture,[books 2] (1996), Shadows of Reality[books 3] (2006) and Mood Swings A Painters Life[books 4] (2011), an autobiography.
Robbin is a pioneer in the computer visualization of four-dimensional geometry. Since 1981, his realtime rotation programs of four-dimensional figures have been useful for obtaining an intuitive feel for four-dimensional space, and quasicrystal space. The original DOS and Microsoft Windows versions are available for free download from his website. An Android live-wallpaper hypercube, rotating in 4-space, is available for free at the Android market, or on his official website. (see external links below)
- Architectural body having a quasicrystal structure US Patent 5603188 A
- Cotter, Holland (2008-01-15), "Scaling a Minimalist Wall With Bright, Shiny Colors", New York Times, retrieved 2009-09-12
- Arnheim, Rudolf (1997). "Engineering a New Architecture by Tony Robbin". Leonardo. 20 (2): 159. doi:10.2307/1576431. JSTOR 1576431.
- "Tony Robbin: A Retrospective, Paintings and Drawings 1970-2010". Orlando Museum of Art. Archived from the original on 8 August 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- Linda Dalrymple Henderson; Robert Kushner; Joyce Kozloff; Tony Robbin; Carter Ratcliff (2011). Tony Robbin: A Retrospective: Paintings and Drawings 1970-2010. Easthampton, MA: Hudson Hills Press. ISBN 9781555953676. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- Robbin, Tony (1992). Fourfield : computers, art & the 4th dimension. Boston: Little, Brown. ISBN 9780821219096.
- Robbin, Tony (1996). Engineering a new architecture. New Haven: Yale University Press. ISBN 9780300061161.
- Robbin, Tony (2006). Shadows of reality : the fourth dimension in relativity, cubism, and modern thought. New Haven: Yale University Press. ISBN 9780300129625.
- Robbin, Tony (2011). Mood Swings: A Painter's Life. Tony Robbin. ASIN B0065IGKTQ.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tony Robbin.|
- Official site
- Shadows of Reality
- Review of Shadows of Reality by David Ebony
- Hypercube live wall-paper for Android devices