Tony Robinson (bishop)
|The Right Reverend
|area Bishop of Wakefield|
|Other posts||Archdeacon of Pontefract (1997–2002)
Bishop of Pontefract (name changed 2015)
|Consecration||6 December 2002
by David Hope, Archbishop of York
25 April 1956 |
Bedford, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
|Residence||Pontefract House, Wakefield|
|Children||3: William, Lucy & Matthew|
Anthony William "Tony" Robinson (born 25 April 1956) is a British Anglican bishop. Since 2015, he has been the area Bishop of Wakefield in the Diocese of Leeds. From 2002 to 2015, he served as Bishop of Pontefract in the Diocese of Wakefield.
Early life and education
Robinson was consecrated to the episcopate on 6 December 2002. From 2002 until the creation of the Diocese of Leeds in 2014, Robinson was suffragan Bishop of Pontefract in the Diocese of Wakefield; upon the dissolution of the Wakefield diocese and the erection of the Leeds diocese, Robinson became area bishop for the Wakefield area. His title remained Bishop of Pontefract until that see was translated to Wakefield (i.e. the title changed to Bishop of Wakefield) by Order in Council of 19 March 2015.
Robinson is the patron of Street Angels — Christian Nightlife Initiatives, a post held since 2010. As of late March 2014 he is the only bishop in the Church of England to have voted in his diocesan synod against new legislation which could enable women to become bishops. In 2014, he became chairman of Forward in Faith, an Anglican movement that promotes "catholic order and the catholic doctrine of the Sacraments, and in particular the threefold ministry in historic succession, which the Church of England". He is Chairman of the Council of Bishops of The Society.
- The Reverend Tony Robinson (1983–1994)
- The Reverend Canon Tony Robinson (1994–1997)
- The Venerable Tony Robinson (1997–2002)
- The Right Reverend Tony Robinson (2002–present)
- The Transformation Programme – First new diocese for more than 85 years created on April 20 (Accessed 19 April 2014)
- Wakefield Diocese — CV
- Wakefield Diocese — Bishops
- Who's Who2008: London, A & C Black ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- Crockford's Clerical Directory2008/2009 Lambeth, Church House Publishing ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0
- Debrett's People of Today London,2008 Debrett's, ISBN 978-1-870520-95-9
- BBC Bradford announcement
- Orders in Council, 19 March 2015 (Accessed 25 March 2015)
- "Women in the Episcopate - Results on Voting". Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "Wakefield Diocese voting results". Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "New Chairman of Forward in Faith". News. Forward in Faith. 17 November 2014. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- "Forward in Faith". Forward in Faith. 2015. Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- "The Council of Bishops". The Society. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Pontefract
as area Bishop of Wakefield
as Bishop of Pontefract
|area Bishop of Wakefield
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|