|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Origin||Passaic, New Jersey, United States|
|Past members||Rich Day
The original lineup of Tony Portaro, Tony Scaglione and Tony Bono recorded their debut album Power And Pain for Roadrunner Records in 1986. Joe Cangelosi replaced Tony Scaglione that same year when he left for a seven-week tour with Slayer. Joe Cangelosi recorded Ticket To Mayhem in 1987 with the two Tonys. In 1989, Glenn Hansen joined the band as the new singer for the album titled Insult to Injury. The band split up due to business reasons, but reunited in 1995 after Portaro and Scaglione joined forces in a revamped lineup of Billy Milano's M.O.D. for a European tour. Whiplash released two further albums, Cult of One and Sit, Stand, Kneel, Prey before the three Tonys recorded a final album together in 1998, Thrashback.
Bassist Tony Bono died in 2002 after suffering a heart attack, at the age of 38.
In 2009, founding member Tony Portaro and Joe Cangelosi reformed the band, adding bassist Rich Day, and recorded Unborn Again, released in September 2009. Whiplash played many festivals in Europe that year including Wacken Open Air in Germany, Jalometalli festival in Finland and shows in Italy, Norway, Mexico and Colombia.
In 2010, the band took a limited break due to personal legal reasons. In the start of December 2010, Tony Portaro announced the return of their original drummer, Tony Scaglione, to the band. They recruited New York bassist David DeLong, a Pennsylvania-Dutch native, with music influences from the 80's NY Metal/Hardcore/Punk scene. However, after two weeks, Tony Scaglione announced personal scheduling issues became his priority. With the help of Ben Ward of Orange Goblin and Nathan Perrier of Alabaster Suns, Labrat and Capricorns, Dan "Loord" Foord (SikTh) entered into the band.
Whiplash launched their POWER AND PAIN 2011 tour with dates in Greece and Italy in April 2011. Following performances at HELLFEST (France) and Portaro's hometown of Clifton, New Jersey, Whiplash headlined at the San Francisco festival SLAUGHTER BY THE WATER 2. After returning from California, they began writing new material, and held another New Jersey performance before finishing their tour with three shows in Chile. In January 2012, Whiplash headlined thrash metal shows in Philadelphia and New Jersey before embarking on the heavy metal cruise 70000 TONS OF METAL aboard the Royal Caribbean ship Majesty Of The Seas. In March and April, Whiplash performed at shows in the Netherlands, and at the Keep It True Festival in Germany and the SWR Barroselas Metalfest in Portugal.
Whiplash is now focusing on finishing their next record, after returning from Pereira, Colombia, where they headlined at the Convivencia Rock 2012 festival in July 2012. On October 10, 2015, Whiplash announced their reunion with original drummer Tony Scaglione. They have also been working on a new EP, entitled Old School American Way.
Current band members
- Tony Portaro - guitar, vocals (1984–1999, 2007–present)
- Tony Scaglione - drums (1984–1987, 1996, 1998–1999, 2010–2011, 2015–present)
- David DeLong - bass, backing vocals (2011–present)
- 1984: Fire Away
- 1984: Thunderstruk
- 1985: Looking Death in the Face
- 1985: Untitled 3 Track demo
- 1986: Power and Pain
- 1987: Ticket to Mayhem
- 1989: Insult to Injury
- 1996: Cult of One
- 1997: Sit Stand Kneel Prey
- 1998: Thrashback
- 2009: Unborn Again
- 2016: Old School American Way
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Whiplash (band).|
- "Whiplash live at Wacken". Metaltraveller.com. 2009-07-31. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- "WHIPLASH/Bio". Roadrunnerrecords.com. 2010-12-02. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "WHIPLASH Rejoined By Drummer TONY SCAGLIONE". officialwhiplash.com. 2012-07-30. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "WHIPLASH Parts Ways With Drummer TONY SCAGLIONE, Recruits SIKTH's DAN FOORD". Roadrunnerrecords.com. 2011-01-06. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "WHIPLASH BIO". officialwhiplash.com. 2012-07-30. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Status". https://www.reverbnation.com/whiplashusa. 2012-07-26. Retrieved 2012-07-31. External link in
- "WHIPLASH Rejoined By Original Drummer TONY SCAGLIONE". Blabbermouth.net. October 10, 2015. Retrieved October 10, 2015.