Tony Silva also known as Antonio H. Silva (born 1960 in Cuba) is an American ornithologist and aviculturist, and the author of books and articles about parrots. From April 1989 until early 1992, he was curator of birds at Loro Parque, Tenerife, Canary Islands, the largest parrot park in the world. He was involved in the early efforts to save the Spix's macaw.
Mr. Silva, then of North Riverside, Chicago, was a person of interest in an international probe into bird smuggling known as "Operation Renegade" by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's Division of Law Enforcement from 1989–92. In December, 1994, he and others were arrested and indicted for conspiracy to violate wildlife and customs laws, and tax evasion (see case No. 94-CR-760). In 1996, Silva pleaded guilty, was convicted and sentenced to 82 months in prison, fined $100,000 and ordered to perform 200 hours of community service during a three-year probationary term after his prison sentence. The smuggling between 1985 and 1992 involved numerous threatened species of South American and Southeast Asian parrots, including hyacinth macaws and other macaws, vinaceous amazons and other amazons, conures, lorikeets and other parrots, cockatoos and flamingos.
This is an incomplete list of works by Tony Silva.
- Silva, T., & B. Kotlar (1980). Discus. Tetra Press. ISBN 9780866227698
- Silva, T., Naether, C. & Kotlar, B. (1980) Building An Aviary TFH Publications. ISBN 0866226990
- Silva, T., & B. Kotlar (1981). Breeding Lovebirds. TFH Publications. ISBN 0-87666-831-7
- Silva, T., & B. Kotlar (1989). Conures. TFH Publications. ISBN 0-86622-739-3
- Silva, T. (1989). A Monograph of Endangered Parrots. Silvio Mattacchione. ISBN 0-9692640-4-6
- Silva, T. (1991). Psittaculture: The Breeding, Rearing and Management of Parrots. Silvio Mattacchione. ISBN 0-9504165-2-5
- Silva, T. (1993). A Monograph Of Macaws and Conures. Silvio Mattacchione. ISBN 1-895270-01-4
- Silva, T., (1985), The Grand Cayman Amazon Parrot, afa Watchbird 51-52, June/July, 1985
- Silva, T., (1986). American Federation of Aviculture (Convention). Magazine of the Parrot Society. 20: 312-315, 1986
- Silva, T., (1989). Vasa Parrots, American Cage Bird Magazine, October, 1989.
- Silva, T., (1991). The Hyacinth Macaw: Its Status and Captive Breeding, American Cage Bird Magazine 1991
- Silva, T., (1994). Breeding the Spix’s Macaw (Cyanopsitta spixii) at Loro Parque, Tenerife, International Zoo Yearbook 1994
- Silva, T. & Jordan, R. (2007). Breeding and rearing Salvadori's fig parrot: Psittaculirostris salvadorii at Loro Parque, Tenerife, International Zoo Yearbook 01/2007; 30(1):173-177.
- Silva, T. (1993). A Monograph of Macaws and Conures, pages 77-94 (Spix's Macaw)
- "A Defender of Rare Birds Is Guilty of Smuggling Them". The New York Times. February 3, 1996. Retrieved 2008-03-23.
- Lowther, Jason; Cook, Dee; Roberts, Martin (2002-08-05). "Crime and Punishment in the Wildlife Trade" (PDF). World Wildlife Fund. Retrieved 2007-09-09.