Anthony Francis Steedman|
21 August 1927
4 February 2001 (aged 73)|
Haywards Heath, West Sussex, England
|Cause of death||Alzheimer's disease|
|Resting place||East London Cemetery, Plaistow, London|
(m. 1957; div. 1963)
Judy Parfitt (m. 1963)
Anthony Francis Steedman (21 August 1927 – 4 February 2001) was an English character actor, perhaps best known for roles in British TV drama series of the 1970s and 1980s and for his role as Socrates in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.
In addition to film work, his theatre appearances were extensive, including Ray Cooney's comedy Her Royal Highness in the West End of London and he appeared in numerous television productions, including episodes of The Feathered Serpent, The Professionals, Coronation Street, The Avengers, Babylon 5, The Sweeney, Minder and Barry Morse presents Strange But True. He had a recurring role in the British soap opera Crossroads as Dr. Butterworth. He was also a regular in the final two series of BBC sitcom Citizen Smith (1979–80). He holds the distinction of portraying Nazi Gen. Alfred Jodl twice, first in The Death of Adolf Hitler (1973) and later in The Bunker (1981). Following his role in Bill and Ted, he voiced the character of Justin Hammer in the first season of Iron Man.
- War & Peace (1972-1973) - Marshal Davout
- Gawain and the Green Knight (1973) - Fortinbras
- The Abdication (1974) - Carranza
- Golden Rendezvous (1977) - Assassin (uncredited)
- The Thirty Nine Steps (1978) - Admiral
- The Bunker (TV) (1981) - Gen. Alfred Jodl
- The Missionary (1982) - Lord Quimby
- Ascendancy (1982) - Colonel
- The Zany Adventures of Robin Hood (1984)
- My Two Dads (1987) - School Director
- Scrooged (1988) - Headwaiter
- Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989) - Socrates
- The Golden Girls (1989) - Jasper DeKimmel
- Delirious (1991) - Edward - the Butler
- Split Second (1992) - Pat O'Donnell
- Mrs Dalloway (1997) - Prime Minister
Steedman met his first wife, Ann Taylor, in 1957 during a production of Oklahoma! and they were married in December of that year in Brackley. The marriage produced one daughter, Amanda. The marriage ended officially in 1963.
Steedman's second wife was actress Judy Parfitt, whom he met in 1960 at the Birmingham Rep. They jointly ran Allerway Limited, an artistic creation company. The marriage produced a son, David, who was born in 1964.
- Tony Steedman Biography Archived 2010-12-10 at the Wayback Machine.
- http://www.brackleyballetschool.co.uk/about.html About Brackley Ballet School
- http://www2.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?scan=1&r=215233318&d=bmd_1395091734 FreeBMD Entry - marriage Steedman/Taylor
- Allerway Limited at bizzy.co.uk
- How the man I adored slipped away from me, by Call the Midwife's nun: Judy Parfitt on the pain of losing her husband to dementia
- Tony Steedman at Find a Grave Memorial