|Mayor of Jackson, Mississippi|
April 24, 2014
|Preceded by||Chokwe Lumumba|
April 16, 1978 |
Jackson, Mississippi, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Southern Mississippi, Jackson State University|
|Occupation||pastor, elementary school principal|
Tony Tarzell Yarber (born 16 April 1978) is an American pastor, educator and politician in Jackson, Mississippi. In April 2014 he was elected as Mayor of Jackson in a special election following the death in office of Chokwe Lumumba. A native of Jackson and experienced city councillor, Yarber is noted for his passion for youth causes, and has been described as "a consensus builder".
Career and personal life
Yarber received a B.S. in Elementary Education from the University of Southern Mississippi and an M.S. in Education Administration and Supervision from Jackson State University. He has taught school and served as an elementary school principal. Yarber served as a committee member for the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Yarber is a founding member of Alignment Jackson, a non-profit organization for improving student achievement.
He was the second Vice-President of the Mississippi Black Caucus of Locally Elected Officials.
Committed to the future of Jackson, Yarber entered city politics, running for the Jackson City Council from Ward 6 in 2009. He became City Council Vice President in 2011, and President in 2012. In 2013, Yarber served as Chair of the Budget Committee, and the Education/Youth Ad Hoc Committee.
Yarber stated that his goals as mayor will be to improve customer service for residents, to attract new business while remaining committed to existing businesses, to work with statewide leaders and those in surrounding communities, and to treat everyone with respect. Yarber also discussed Jackson's potential for growth as an entertainment hub, and as a "medical corridor" (a regional health care center). Yarber stated, "I want you to know that we are going to run an administration that treats everyone right".
- Barnes, Dustin (April 22, 2014). "Yarber New Jackson Mayor". Clarion-Ledger.
- Lucas, Sherry (April 20, 2014). "Mayoral Race: Personal Profile of Tony Yarber". Clarion-Ledger.
- "Tony Yarber". City of Jackson, Mississippi. Retrieved April 2014.
- Ferretti, Haley; Nave, R.L. (April 23, 2014). "A Hands-On Tony Yarber Administration?". Jackson Free Press.
- "About the Mayor". City of Jackson. Retrieved April 2014.
- Barnes, Dustin (April 24, 2014). "Mayor Tony Yarber Preaches Plans for Jackson". Clarion-Ledger.